Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Mirrorless Pro-Class Cameras with Interchangeable Lenses

Mirrorless Pro-Class Cameras with Interchangeable Lenses Sony A7, A7R and similar high end cameras that can serve as the sole cameras on Pro-event assignments.

Old February 2nd, 2018, 10:22 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Adapting Fine Vintage Lenses!

We are used to the wonderful flexibility of Sony A7 series cameras being able to take most any lenses you own, and that has been a blessing to so many of us.

I myself have saved Pentax, Leica, Canon FD and assorted other great lenses and adapted them successfully to the A7R.

Today I have the Fuji GFX camera and just one f4.0 32-64mm lens.

So I purchased a Contax/Yashica adapter by Fotodiox. If fits perfectly and I can now any C/Y lens.

Here I started with the "Anniversary" 28mm f 2.0 lens and tried it first, hand hold at night in the Eaterly restaurant balcony in Century City, where the salmon is the freshest and delciously cooked!

A packed table of happy celebrating women adjacent to us needed a group picture so I, of course stood up and took that phone so they could all be in the picture.

It turned out they were all from Manahattan Beach, further south from Los Angeles and knew my "Puff of Wind Sculpture" and so we made friends! They have been close for decades, playing tennis together and sharing good times with their growing families.

Then I snapped some quick shots with the contax 28 mm. I cannot remember what setting, but I beleive it was at 5.6, pretty wide open for a MF camera.

The illumination was so uniform all over the field, so I had to burn in the corners and edges a tad to get the result below. No sharpening applied.

Asher Kelman: The Tennis Players

Fuji GFX 50S
Fotodiox C/Y - GFX Adapter
Contax Anniversary 28mm 2.0
1/13 sec, ISO 1600
Corners "burnt in" CC PS 2018

For 1/13 second this is acceptable!

I need to test it with daylight too, with smaller aperture and more reasonable shutter speed!

Enjoy

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 01:32 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Let me qualify this salute to a vintage lens, the superb Contax 28mm 2.8, "Anniversary edition. Using it in poor light hand held with no flash is not the best way of leveraging this lens nor of doing photography. Frankly, in poor light, with manual focus one should better use a cell phone as one will get more keepers snapping away.

If one has the time to carefully focus and support the camera, the pictures will be rewarding.

However, walking around a in poor light and taking grab shots as I would with an AF lens, my success rate 10% at best.

So don't get carried away by my romanatacism towards MF vintage lenses for photographing in the worst light.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 03:26 PM

Cool Medium Format manual-focus lenses

I took a turn at using a number of Mamiya 645 (Sekor C) and Pentax 6x7 lenses on my FF and crop-sensor cameras (adapted) in addition to their native film bodies.
As you indicate, it works best with patience and discipline (and a tripod ;-) ) but it sure can be rewarding when it works out.
I have since sold the MF film bodies, and some of the lenses, but kept a few to play with on my Nikons.

Steve