Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > The Gear > Gear Support: Bags/ Cases/ Tripods/Transport or anything else needed for a shoot!

Old March 9th, 2014, 10:02 AM

Default Lens

I'd love your comments. I'm considering getting a new "general purpose" lens. The two lenses shown here are similar, (same focal length - same speed), but there a $1000 difference in price.

Any comments on the justification for the extra $1000?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...f_2_8L_IS.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Autofocus.html

Maybe I should just stick with my low cost Tamron 35-300.
Old March 9th, 2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Jones View Post
Any comments on the justification for the extra $1000?
One is the latest version and includes stabilisation, the other is older (so that its price was chosen when the Yen to $ exchange rate was more favourable to you) and does not include stabilisation. Either one will put your Tamron to shame at 200mm and weights so much that you won't want to take them around.
Old March 9th, 2014, 07:04 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
One is the latest version and includes stabilisation, the other is older (so that its price was chosen when the Yen to $ exchange rate was more favourable to you) and does not include stabilisation. Either one will put your Tamron to shame at 200mm and weights so much that you won't want to take them around.
Jerome,

Good advice. Canon lenses a good long term investments. I have both the 70-200 2.8L IS models, and frankly, there's not a lot of practical difference between them for my portrait work, which is between 2.8 and 5.6. Yes, one can prove the latest version is somewhat better, but I cannot clinch a shot with one that I can't to with another with my work. I like to know I have the fastest AF for serious commissioned classical music concert work where I have yo get the special pictures that cannot be missed. However, I never missed those shots anyway, the 1DII, 5D and 5DII and 7D cameras I use are so good anyway.

Of course, a 1Ds Mark II would be wonderful and even better……….. but I cannot afford it!

Howard,

I could give up one lens for an OPFr and you are close by! I also have an f 4.0 but no IS. That's just as wonderful and pocketable!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:47 AM

Default Thank you

Thanks to all you offered your input. Asher, how close are you? You've got a 4.0? I'd be immensely curious to see a comparison between the Tamron and the Canon with regard to image quality. I've got a Canon 600 that I (obviously) go to great lengths to stabilize, but the image quality is usually somewhere in the spectacular range. I'm hoping the Canon 70-200 will give me the same quality.
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:54 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Jones View Post
Thanks to all you offered your input. Asher, how close are you? You've got a 4.0? I'd be immensely curious to see a comparison between the Tamron and the Canon with regard to image quality. I've got a Canon 600 that I (obviously) go to great lengths to stabilize, but the image quality is usually somewhere in the spectacular range. I'm hoping the Canon 70-200 will give me the same quality.
Get of the 405 at Santa Monica Blvd, that easy!

The f 4.0 I own is not IS. However, I have no issues getting tack sharp images. Are you tracking race cars or guys running with a ball in some sports game?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old March 11th, 2014, 08:38 AM

Default Close . . .

Ah ha . . . you were close. I've moved to Scottsdale, Arizona (over in Alain Briot's backyard).