Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself How about you talk about you...

Old June 4th, 2018, 10:24 PM

Default New to OPF

Greetings,

Pretty new to photography. Good at picking up on the technical aspects but only slowly developing my actual skill.

My basic aim is to offer my ability to praise and find value in things in exchange for some technical evaluations of my pictures according to mainstream parameters: currently, my issues are framing and perspective.

Overall, I am concerned with the artistic expression of values and ideas...but where are the pictures to back this up? ... most likely somewhere in the very distant future. For now, just learning to shoot straight is a big challenge. but it's so much fun.

Don't consider myself a photographer yet but have plans to develop my professional skill enough to do restaurant menus and such in the near future.

I am writing a journal of my photographic adventure so I can go on for pages about this stuff. Will stop here....for now.

Thanks for having me...and yes 'I' do use pronouns, sometimes.

Cheers

PS Photos are generally signed: Marc L or Mark Miller

PPS I have many questions and topics I would like to discuss. One of them is artistic propriety and other copyright issues. I do not really see a thread or category for this, any suggestions?

Last edited by Marc Lamontagne; June 5th, 2018 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Further question
Old June 5th, 2018, 12:44 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Welcome Marc,

Am happy to welcome you! I love the idea that you want to express ideas and values! That is the hard part.

Clicking the camera is the easy part and we can help you with the technical stuff.

For composition nothing is better than a piece of cardboard with a frame cut out corresponding to the shape of the format you are shooting.

Great point is that you can survey a scene and concentrate on just what is included, excluded, the angle from which one observes and the time of day chosen.

I started each of my 3 sons that way and that is what we called “Photography”! They were told that’s how everyone learns. Not my first lie and not the last! It worked and they are often better than I am in compositions!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old June 9th, 2018, 08:28 PM

Welcome Marc. Excited to see your work! :-) Maggie
Old July 3rd, 2018, 12:47 AM

Hello! Welcome to the forum!
Old July 3rd, 2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Lamontagne View Post
PPS I have many questions and topics I would like to discuss. One of them is artistic propriety and other copyright issues. I do not really see a thread or category for this, any suggestions?
That could be discussed in "Layback cafe", but whatever the forum you should realise that artistic propriety and copyright are closely tied to laws and these, in turn, vary between countries. This forum being international, you may not get very useful advice from members living in different countries than the one you want advice for.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 06:37 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Marc,

Start a new thread wherever you feel it fits on Propietry images and copyright.

I will look out for it and do my best to contribute!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Lamontagne View Post
Greetings,

Pretty new to photography. Good at picking up on the technical aspects but only slowly developing my actual skill.

My basic aim is to offer my ability to praise and find value in things in exchange for some technical evaluations of my pictures according to mainstream parameters: currently, my issues are framing and perspective.

Overall, I am concerned with the artistic expression of values and ideas...but where are the pictures to back this up? ... most likely somewhere in the very distant future. For now, just learning to shoot straight is a big challenge. but it's so much fun.

Don't consider myself a photographer yet but have plans to develop my professional skill enough to do restaurant menus and such in the near future.

I am writing a journal of my photographic adventure so I can go on for pages about this stuff. Will stop here....for now.

Thanks for having me...and yes 'I' do use pronouns, sometimes.

Cheers

PS Photos are generally signed: Marc L or Mark Miller

Welcome Mark!

Copyright is simple... it is the right to make a copy.

Best, regards
James