Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself How about you talk about you...

Old May 15th, 2013, 07:45 AM

Default Introduction

Hello all.

I'm from Norway, and my main interest in photography is landscape and some wildlife.
I like to travel, and one of the most fascinating places to photograph for me is the US south west. And judging from previous trips I guess I'm not alone in thinking that. Photography is a hobby, and between my family and my daytime job, I don't have much time left, but I try to use the time I have on photography. :-)

Here is a an image of Svalbard reindeer, taken in Spitsbergen (Svalbard).

Ronny
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:28 AM

Hi, Ronny,

Welcome aboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny Nilsen View Post
Hello all.

I'm from Norway, and my main interest in photography is landscape and some wildlife.
I like to travel, and one of the most fascinating places to photograph for me is the US south west.
Yes, indeed. In fact, today my wife and I are going on an outing (with a partially photographic motive) from our home in southern New Mexico. It is a fabulous region.

[quote And judging from previous trips I guess I'm not alone in thinking that. Photography is a hobby, and between my family and my daytime job, I don't have much time left, but I try to use the time I have on photography. :-)

Quote:

Thanks.

I'm not sure if the image works the way you had in mind. It is almost white-on-white - maybe that's the idea. Your "signature" is white-on-white as well, with an "ethereal" quality to it. But again maybe that's part of the design plan.

Again, welcome aboard.

Best regards,

Doug
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:57 AM
pro member

Quote:
Hello all.

I like to travel, and one of the most fascinating places to photograph for me is the US south west. And judging from previous trips I guess I'm not alone in thinking that. Photography is a hobby, and between my family and my daytime job, I don't have much time left, but I try to use the time I have on photography. :-)

Hi Ronny,

Welcome to OPF. And what better intro than with an image.

I like the idea of portraying the quest of an animal to find food on a huge almost empty plain. Is this a solitary bull, or is the rest of the herd following close by?

Cheers,
Bart
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:04 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Hello all.

Ronny

Welcome, Ronny!

Great way of showing yourself, through something you love. I have never seen a reindeer outside of a zoo, so I'm pretty impressed with the open spaces and challenges this magnificent creature has to face.

Welcome to OPF. We all look forward to more of your work and exchange!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the welcome. This image was taken on a snowmobile trip between Longyearbyen (main Norwegian settlement at Spitsbergen) and Barentsburg (Russian settlement). The Svalbard reindeer is the smallest subspecies of reindeer. Taking the image was cold: it was -20 C and a heavy wind. These animals live in really harsh conditions. The rest of the herd was close by, but I think showing only one animal better portraits the harshness and loneliness of the living conditions for these animals during winter. This is a color image, but the environment and these animals is really all about shades of white.

Ronny
Old September 19th, 2016, 02:26 PM

Any photo-shopping here, if not it s a good picture........pd
Old September 19th, 2016, 02:32 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Dwyer View Post
Wouldn't it be a great picture even if one uses photoshop?

After all, if one can choose a lens or artificial lighting, why not the processing method too?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 19th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Dwyer View Post
Are you suggesting that ps would diminish its 'good'-ness?