Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Wedding and Event

Old June 9th, 2008, 04:27 PM

Default Wedding Party/Family Hug

My Blog

My Website
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:34 PM

This looks like a very fun shot Heather!
Based on what I can see in the background, you seem to have used a larger f/stop. I can see the flash in their eyes, and you have done a good job keeping the skin tones clean. Can you share how you went about getting this shot? Laying down, how many shots did you take, how did you meter it if you did??? What, if anything, did you do for Post Processing. I am asking because I like the shot and if I can convince my bad knees to get down and back up, I'd like to try a shot like this.

Marshall
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:42 PM

ah...ha...sure. I'd have to check the file later for exact details, but yes, I did lay flat in the middle of the group for this shot. I only took this single shot. Never tried it before, but was encouraged by friends and family to do it so I tried. I believe I was on Program Mode and I had my external flash set to TTL. I honestly was shocked the exposure worked out so well and the focus...since it was such a quick shot.

No metering!

We later did another attemp with all kids in the photo and I didn't care for it as much...even though the same camera settings were used.

Thanks for the reply!

My Blog

My Website
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:58 PM

If you still have that second shot, post it and let us look at it. We are often our own worst critics and that shot may be very good. It may also be that the mood of the shot is different, so the feel comes across less than you experienced in the first one. Thanks for the quick response.

I am going to post some B/W shots of a wedding that I did this past weekend. I am going through the same things, eww, don't like that one,,, really like that one,,, and I am looking at them from the photographers eye, without the emotional impact that the customer may have. I have found that, in many cases, the best shots are the ones that the customer has the most emotional response to and could care less about the technical aspect of the image. I'll throw some of those shots up tonight.

Marshall
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM

Default Yes, I do and I will

Yes, I have the 2nd shot. Actually played with it last night. Figured out the reason I didn't care for it as much and that is b/c they didn't have their heads together as in the first and there weren't any trees above...only sky. Here it is anyhow. I added text and am going to blow it up for a Father's Day gift to their grandfather.

My Blog

My Website
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM

Hi Heather,

The two shots do have a different feel, no questions, but I do not think that this one is inferior to the other one. I like this shot as well, it is very happy and very youthful looking. The first shot is tightly grouped with everyone touching heads, but the second one provides you the opportunity to add the text and create an entirely different use for the shot. I see success in both shots, good work.

Marshall
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:08 AM

That is a very nice shot. I have tried to do this manually with less successful results.

David Myles Stam
www.davidmylesphotography.com
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM

Heather: Nice use of flash. Just out of curiosity, what kind of flash/setting did you use?

D
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:18 AM

What a nice wedding picture. That's a really creative pic, very nice smiles. Some friends of mine booked me as their wedding photographer and I was able to take some great shots. It's a very nice thing to join a celebration like a wedding and see a lot of happy people. I am really looking forward to the next wedding where I can take pics.