Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique

Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique Continuous and Strobe Lighting. (The Sun is considered continuous!) Great ideas are really ten a penny! Technique in setting up the subject is, of course, essential. However, the ability to bring out form, texture, tonality and color is where the skill in lighting provides all the keys to engraving one's ideas on the delivered picture.

Old August 27th, 2009, 11:13 PM

Default The New Model and the Beauty Dish

I had a new model in the studio today for a quick portfolio package shoot. She really as yet has no clue what she is doing but as such is quite open to learning. At the end of the session I switched away from the typical commercial beauty and glamour looks we provide for portfolios and set up a single 16" beauty dish on a boom arm, added a 20 degree grid and proceeded to just play with her and the light.

Not my favorite of the set just one pulled out randomly to test process. Had I looked closer before starting I would have picked a different shot from the series as the hooded eye is bugging the heck out of me

Beauty Dish
2009 Bobby Deal
Old August 28th, 2009, 09:24 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Beauty Dish
2009 Bobby Deal

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for sharing this random pick choice your series. I like the dramatic look in B&W. The addition of the grid in the beauty dish defines the light well, but then the edges as they fall off have a dramatic look. I really like the single braid of her hair and wonder if you have a shot where it can be seen in toto as it gives character to her style and nature. I see you have used a narrow DOF. The right arm then suffers. I am not worried about the eyes at all.

The dish seems to be low and aiming upwards and that surprised me. BTW I cannot find any shot details in the EXIF but it's good to see you embed your info!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Thanks Asher, actually the dish was raked off hard to camera right about 20 degrees to the model and set just above the models eye level to center the cirle of light on her face. It was attached to a Calumet Travelite 750 and placed back about 12' from the model

Not sure why all the EXIF is not showing up but here is a screen shot of it from the NEF file

D300
ISO 100 (Lo 1)
f/5.0
1/100

I shoot everything in Raw + JPG Fine and normally only edit from the NEF file but in this case since I was just exploring the shoot and doing a quick edit I worked from the JPG.

I am sure there is a shot of the whole braid I will look and see what I have
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:35 AM

I really think your lighting in this is very thoughtful and well-designed. It would be very easy to lose definition on curves around the model's neck and across the bottom part of the frame, on her attire, but you've kept a lot of definition and contrast while, at the same time, making sure that everything that should appear as smooth and, for lack of better words, youthful as possible remained that way. How much of the appearance was done in-camera and how much, if any, was post?
Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles House View Post
I really think your lighting in this is very thoughtful and well-designed. It would be very easy to lose definition on curves around the model's neck and across the bottom part of the frame, on her attire, but you've kept a lot of definition and contrast while, at the same time, making sure that everything that should appear as smooth and, for lack of better words, youthful as possible remained that way. How much of the appearance was done in-camera and how much, if any, was post?
Thanks Charles, this image is pretty much a simple gradient mapped b&w conversion the lighting in the color version is pretty much the lighting in the B&W
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:55 AM

I like the image