Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Photography as Art

Photography as Art Original boundary-testing images. Open to comments without moderation. For works intended for clients and galleries submit to GALLERY ONE.

Old July 19th, 2012, 07:43 PM

Default "Till the Cows Come Home"

The cows were in the beautiful open fields - nosey from my presence at first, and then as soon as I pulled out the camera and set it up on a tripod (to compensate for the low light levels) to get my shot - - - they had turned and headed off. Actually I prefer this image with the lovely green grazing grass in the foreground, and wonderful rolling hills and mix of colors in the background - to the couple of closer up shots of the cows that I took before they headed away. I have found a new favourite location for early morning rural images.

BTW, the phrase "till the cows come home" : http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/382900.html

Old July 19th, 2012, 09:04 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Rob,

What are you doing to the mid tones. This is reminiscent of thew pastoral scenes by Dwayne Oakes.

It is most effective here.

Dreamy afternoon!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 20th, 2012, 05:04 AM

Thought I would include this 100% crop from the image, that shows my image processing without the effects of web compression. This image will be printed on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Fine Art Paper for a nice textured soft feel to the photograph.

Old July 20th, 2012, 11:48 AM

Robert

Hey- Are you from Texas. I think I see some Long Horns in that cow gang.

I love that first photo. Love the treatment. Looks like an oil painting that one might come across from many many many years ago- It has that kind of feeling- love it the cows were moving away
you see it gives the photo something new and unusual-

Charlotte-
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte thompson View Post
Robert

Hey- Are you from Texas. I think I see some Long Horns in that cow gang.

I love that first photo. Love the treatment. Looks like an oil painting that one might come across from many many many years ago- It has that kind of feeling- love it the cows were moving away
you see it gives the photo something new and unusual-

Charlotte-
Thank you for your reply.

I'm from Canada. We've apparently got some Long Horns here as well.
Old July 20th, 2012, 04:15 PM

Wow! could have fooled me!

C-
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte thompson View Post
Wow! could have fooled me!

C-
hehe

Actually I was raised in a small town in a rural farming community - but couldn't really tell you what kind of cow is what kind - or what one grain field is from another. It was kind of funny, because our children were raised in the same environment as my wife and I - - - - and yet when my daughter got married, she named her black and white cat Jersey because the colouring reminded her of cows. Terrible isn't it - - - we should know better.

The 2 cats and story are posted on my Journal - http://robertwatcher.com/journal/ind...119&title=cats

"Jersey"
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:34 AM

Robert
Beautiful photos of these cats. I loved the story behind the names. I love rural anything-
I had a small 7 and half acre farm in Texas with Arabian show horses. I used to ride and show a lot- hunt seat not cowgirl- The freedom of the country is like no other!
So I am a country girl and your photos brought back beautiful memories.
I really love them!

Charlotte-
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Watcher View Post
The cows were in the beautiful open fields - nosey from my presence at first, and then as soon as I pulled out the camera and set it up on a tripod (to compensate for the low light levels) to get my shot - - - they had turned and headed off. Actually I prefer this image with the lovely green grazing grass in the foreground, and wonderful rolling hills and mix of colors in the background - to the couple of closer up shots of the cows that I took before they headed away. I have found a new favourite location for early morning rural images.

BTW, the phrase "till the cows come home" : http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/382900.html

Robert,

i enjoyed looking at this one - the pattern between the bails of hay and the cows - then the uncut fields - everything in the image is processed.

thanks for posting it.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:54 PM

Thank you Mark. It is a very soothing image to me. Can't wait to find a place to mat, frame and hang it
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:54 AM

Visually pleasing. Mentally soothing.

Regards.