Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Digital Asset Management: access & storage of image files.

Old August 12th, 2017, 03:11 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Huge picture collections? Phase One "Media Pro" catalogs choke and freeze!

Catalogs with 1/2 million files freeze my late 2013 MacPro. One has to reboot to defeat the ball of death! Here's the big problem: That last Media Pro catalog, always reappears on booting and again freezes, (even if one moves the saved catalogs, attempting to hide them from the application)!

Solution? Shut down the system, expel the drives that the catalog need, reboot and wait. This time, although the overloaded catalog will again appear, the ball of panic will eventually go away. (Running disk utility on the Apple system drive might encourage that.) In any case, waiting 5-10 minutes and the defiant catalog is now accessible and can be closed with one click of the mouse!

Now the question: which file management software can routinely handle 600,000 files adroitly and without crashing?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 12th, 2017, 03:23 PM

Neofinder appears to be a tailor-made solution from a German software Engineer, who has been doing catalogs for 21 years!

Neofinder is constantly updated and can even handle millions of catalogs, apparently, each with giant stores of image files! Cross grade from most other utilities for just €19.00! Otherwise it is $39.95. Go figure why he switches currency like that! 😂💦

Anyone else deal with inordinately huge numbers of image files, what is your solution?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 13th, 2017, 12:42 AM

Well, I purchased Neofinder and will start testing it tomorrow!

So tell me what you all use for cataloging all your file collections?

Asher

Old August 13th, 2017, 06:43 PM

I must admit that it is not Phase One's Media Pro that is totally responsible for slowing my computer. But since I did try to use large catalogs, something became corrupted in my indexed files. I know that as a test account on my computer has no issues, (but no applications or data).

So first I am fixing my primary account!

Asher

Old August 18th, 2017, 04:17 PM
Administrator

I just use Lightroom to catalogue my photographs...

In fact, I do not have that quantity of files... just - almost - 50.000.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Old September 11th, 2017, 01:15 PM

Digikam has no issues at >1.2TB of data.

Best regards
Michael
Old September 13th, 2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nagel View Post
Digikam has no issues at >1.2TB of data.

Best regards
Michael
Thanks so much, Michael. This is dependent on open source software like GIMP so it's supported by a lot of brains!

I must try it!

Asher