Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Mirrorless Pro-Class Cameras with Interchangeable Lenses

Mirrorless Pro-Class Cameras with Interchangeable Lenses Sony A7, A7R and similar high end cameras that can serve as the sole cameras on Pro-event assignments.

Old August 20th, 2015, 07:13 AM

Default First hike with A7RII

After almost a week working on my deck and not having time to take pictures with my new camera I finally got out on an overnight hike. I choose the Skyline Divide trail up near Mt. Baker in the North Cascades because it's a good bang for the buck - nice trail with only about 2500 ft. elevation gain to my camp. I brought my NEX-7 + Tamron 18-200mm and another tripod so I could shoot while the A7RII worked away on timelapses.

I still have a learning curve on using the time-lapse app. If you want to do any pan or zoom with the add on app you need to do it before filling the card otherwise there isn't enough room for the new movie. I normally don't chimp my pics much and didn't mess with that until I was about to hike out, by that time my card was pretty full (4 time lapses where I saved the RAWs).

I also noticed a bit of vignetting in just one corner of some shots taken with a new 55mm. At first I thought it was from the polarizer I was using, but now I think it may be related to using electronic shutter. More on that as I experiment.

Mt. Baker

Star-scapes is why I went full frame

My favorite from the trip

HDR Sunrise

Mt. Baker Peeking through clouds (NEX-7)

Conclusion - I have a lot to learn about the new camera. I still love my good ole NEX-7 and super-zoom lens. I might have to get the new version when it comes out for light weight travels (the lens mount on mine is getting seriously loose).

Last edited by Jim Dockery; August 20th, 2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old August 20th, 2015, 08:16 AM

Hi, Jim,

All exquisite works. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

Don't feel bad about your continued love for your "earlier" camera. The new one doesn't take anything away from it, or vice-versa!

Best regards,

Doug
Old August 21st, 2015, 01:13 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dockery View Post
After almost a week working on my deck and not having time to take pictures with my new camera I finally got out on an overnight hike. I choose the Skyline Divide trail up near Mt. Baker in the North Cascades because it's a good bang for the buck - nice trail with only about 2500 ft. elevation gain to my camp. I brought my NEX-7 + Tamron 18-200mm and another tripod so I could shoot while the A7RII worked away on timelapses.

I still have a learning curve on using the time-lapse app. If you want to do any pan or zoom with the add on app you need to do it before filling the card otherwise there isn't enough room for the new movie. I normally don't chimp my pics much and didn't mess with that until I was about to hike out, by that time my card was pretty full (4 time lapses where I saved the RAWs).

I also noticed a bit of vignetting in just one corner of some shots taken with a new 55mm. At first I thought it was from the polarizer I was using, but now I think it may be related to using electronic shutter. More on that as I experiment.

Mt. Baker

Star-scapes is why I went full frame

My favorite from the trip

HDR Sunrise

Mt. Baker Peeking through clouds (NEX-7)

Conclusion - I have a lot to learn about the new camera. I still love my good ole NEX-7 and super-zoom lens. I might have to get the new version when it comes out for light weight travels (the lens mount on mine is getting seriously loose).
Jim,

These are beautiful photographs. Congrats on you new camera. This is the one I'd have love to have been able to take to Europe, but it wasn't yet for sale. So have you discovered instances where you have rntered new territory using this instead of all previous cameras?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 21st, 2015, 06:13 PM

Asher, I haven't used it enough to make any pronouncements, but one of the big things is that in the past when I took what looked like a great shot on my NEX-7 I would often zoom in and shoot another set to later attempt a pano for higher res. so I could print large on my Epson 7900. Now I can skip those extra shots!
Old August 21st, 2015, 09:31 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dockery View Post
Asher, I haven't used it enough to make any pronouncements, but one of the big things is that in the past when I took what looked like a great shot on my NEX-7 I would often zoom in and shoot another set to later attempt a pano for higher res. so I could print large on my Epson 7900. Now I can skip those extra shots!
Well that's already progress. Now do you have fast lenses? If you do there will be a great benefit in low light AF!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.