Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Mirrorless Pro-Class Cameras with Interchangeable Lenses

Mirrorless Pro-Class Cameras with Interchangeable Lenses Sony A7, A7R and similar high end cameras that can serve as the sole cameras on Pro-event assignments.

Old September 6th, 2015, 08:18 PM

Default More A7RII

I got out to Whidbey Isl. this weekend and found some nice clouds. My Samsang 14mm worked well to capture the sunset and I lucked into finding an older couple fishing at the Ebbey Landing beach. So far so good with the new camera - I like the handling better than my NEX-7, but not the weight when hiking.

4 shot hand held focus stack, Samyang 14mm

4 shot pano, Samyang 14mm

Sunset Fishing, Zeis 55mm

Pano, Zeis 55mm
Old September 6th, 2015, 09:04 PM

Nice images. Just curious why you used focus stacking on the first image taken with 14mm lens - when DOF at f8 covers around a foot and a half to infinity - and f11 is under a foot to infinity?
Old September 6th, 2015, 09:26 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

A Samyung! How did you get to that decision? Obviously, in our hands it delivers beauty. But does it have the quality to match the capability of the A7RII demanding sensor?

I have been wondering about this lens, the 15mm released just this last week by the Chinese company or perhaps, the stellar but far more expensive Canon 11-24mm L lens.

Can you share your decision-making!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 6th, 2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dockery View Post
I got out to Whidbey Isl. this weekend and found some nice clouds. My Samsang 14mm worked well to capture the sunset and I lucked into finding an older couple fishing at the Ebbey Landing beach. So far so good with the new camera - I like the handling better than my NEX-7, but not the weight when hiking.

Condensed beauty. Again, this lens delivers! Is this one frame?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 7th, 2015, 08:34 AM

Robert, I did a focus stack on that one because I was crouched down low and so close to the ground that the rocks in the foreground were about a foot from the camera. I wanted the background to also be sharp, not just within the circle of confusion. I also hadn't done a hand held focus stack so wanted to experiment - I'm pretty happy with the results.

Asher, sorry I mislabeled that last shot - it was actually taken with the Samyang! I got that lens a year ago to use on my NEX-7 for astrophotography and it has worked great for that (easy focus to infinity). Also it was on sale at B&H at the time for $300 and was the only super-wide E mount option that would also work on a future full frame camera. The two downsides are size/weight and due to lack of electronics it doesn't send any data to the camera for EXIF.
Old September 7th, 2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Robert, I did a focus stack on that one because I was crouched down low and so close to the ground that the rocks in the foreground were about a foot from the camera. I wanted the background to also be sharp, not just within the circle of confusion. I also hadn't done a hand held focus stack so wanted to experiment - I'm pretty happy with the results.
That's cool
Old September 7th, 2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post

Condensed beauty. Again, this lens delivers! Is this one frame?

Asher
So this is with the Samyung 14mm too?

Besides being beautiful, did you manage to discover any MTF curves?

Given the remarkably low price of about $350 and pairing this with the stellar Canon 16-35 4.0L at just $1,000 would be a huge savings v. the 11-24mm 4.0 L Canon covering all wide angle needs on the A8RII. What do you think of that choice?

Asher

Old September 7th, 2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Jim Doherty: Untitled

4 shots hand-held and focus-stacked
Samyung 14mm

Drama, a striking sky spreading out from the center with beautiful dimensional "energy" immediately grabs one's attention. The Proximal and distal rock elements are rendered in fine textural detail with a satisfying distribution of tonalities making them so important and three dimensional! Then they're set in the composition like heraldry on a knight's shield.

Jim, I really like this!

The super wide angle really does a super job of putting the main subject into context, assuming that the be is this interesting!

So what software do you use for this? Have you had experience with macro photography focus stacking?

Asher

Old September 8th, 2015, 02:10 AM

Hi Jim,

I have been meaning to join this discussion for a while, sorry for being late. I have used the original A7 for more than a year and I have been very happy with it (aside from a few nitpicks). I have used a range of prime lenses from Nikon on it; 20mm, 35mm, 85mm and 200mm. And the results were very good. Then I had to part with the camera and the lenses and I miss them dearly. That is why I am looking forward to the day when I will be able to afford the A7RII, hopefully. Till then, I will sit back and enjoy your pictures. Thanks for sharing.

flickr
website
Old September 8th, 2015, 08:45 AM

Asher, thanks for the nice analysis on that shot.

I started off in ACR, which doesn't have a profile for this lens, I guess I should work on that. Saved files as DNG, opened them layered in Photoshop, then focus stacked (auto aligne then merge). For B&W I used Nik Silver FX Pro 2 with a strong red filter and increased structure.
Old September 8th, 2015, 11:16 AM

Ok guys, you go on about tech while I give my credits to the great pictures in the thread! All are good but I especially like the first one.