Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Image Processing and Workflow

Image Processing and Workflow RAW, DNG , TIFF and JPG. From Capture to Ready for Publish/Display. All software and techniques used within an image workflow, (except extensive retouching and repair or DAM).

Old July 10th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Default Affinity Photo for Mac

Has anyone tried the new Affinity ?
Does LR reads the generated files ?

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:02 AM

Hi Antonio. I have purchased Affinity Photo and am quite pleased with many of the features of it.

As for Lightroom being able to read files - - - Affinity does have it's own proprietary format called .afphoto. When I attempted to Import those files into Lightroom, they were NOT recognized.

However - files from within Affinity Photo can be Exported out using popular formats like JPEG, TIFF, PSD etc. All of these formats Imported into Lightroom without issue.

For my workflow though, I am always Importing my files from my memory card into Lightroom as a first step and way to keep my files organized. I who never find myself opening any files in a Photoshop or Photo style editor as a first option.

And so there are no file compatibility issues with Affinity Photo if done this way, as I would open any files required more extensive composite work, from within Lightroom and when done, Affinity Photo sends them back to Lightroom where I can continue on processing, saving and printing.

I have just put together a video showing the steps involved in setting up Affinity Photo as an External Editor for integration into Lightroom Workflow:

---------
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Thank you Robert for the explanation and video.

I have not bought it ... so far.

Using this software is a way to overcome the monthly payment to Adobe by subscribing CS and that looks an advantage for the user.

Perhaps Affinity would be even more competitive if it would have incorporated a file management like the one in LR with keywords for example.
Old July 20th, 2015, 10:48 AM
pro member

Would love to have it on Windows to totally ditch Adobe CC !!
Old July 20th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Move to Apple instead ...

Next year perhaps :) :)
Old July 20th, 2015, 11:21 AM
pro member

Ahah, never ... I'm a free man ;-)
Old July 20th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Administrator

LOL we are never, never really free ! LOL
Old April 16th, 2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Watcher View Post
Hi Antonio. I have purchased Affinity Photo and am quite pleased with many of the features of it.

As for Lightroom being able to read files - - - Affinity does have it's own proprietary format called .afphoto. When I attempted to Import those files into Lightroom, they were NOT recognized.

However - files from within Affinity Photo can be Exported out using popular formats like JPEG, TIFF, PSD etc. All of these formats Imported into Lightroom without issue.

For my workflow though, I am always Importing my files from my memory card into Lightroom as a first step and way to keep my files organized. I who never find myself opening any files in a Photoshop or Photo style editor as a first option.

And so there are no file compatibility issues with Affinity Photo if done this way, as I would open any files required more extensive composite work, from within Lightroom and when done, Affinity Photo sends them back to Lightroom where I can continue on processing, saving and printing.

I have just put together a video showing the steps involved in setting up Affinity Photo as an External Editor for integration into Lightroom Workflow:

---------
Hence, to use Affinity with LR one has to additionally convert into other file format? It steals my time(
Old April 16th, 2017, 02:25 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario D. Kutcher View Post
Hence, to use Affinity with LR one has to additionally convert into other file format? It steals my time(
Mario,

I also would never consider storing images in anything but a file that can be read by my other software. So one can decide to routinely save all Affinity files as .Tiff or .jpg. I haven't looked for a setting in Affinity as yet, but I would imagine that one should be able to set a default for OSD, Tiff it whatever one wishes.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 16th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Administrator

For some time I worked with Affinity.
I was upset about the missing connection between the two apps and I decided to move on and work only with LR and CS6.