Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Asher Kelman's Public and Private Art

Asher Kelman's Public and Private Art Yes I photograph for many reasons. Much of my work has been with public charities to pay back for the opportunities given to me all my life. This year I'm going public with Photography shows and sculptures submitted for folk to enjoy in city gardens and parks. So let me share with you what I do!

Old March 10th, 2015, 09:11 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Photography of my current Abstract Sculpture Fabrication in Ribbons of steel!

This work is for my self!

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old June 19th, 2015, 01:45 PM

[img]http://openphotographyforums.com/AK13/DSC03878[/url] Journey Front.jpg[/JPG]

[img]http://openphotographyforums.com/AK13/DSC03879[/url] Journey Side.jpg[p/IMG]

Asher Kelman: Journey

I/8th Steel Wire Maquette for Sculpture in 1" Welded Steel

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old June 19th, 2015, 01:50 PM

I work with 1/8th steel wire salvaged from a wonderfully impressive but discarded decorative steel mesh.

Asher

Old June 19th, 2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
I work with 1/8th steel wire salvaged from a wonderfully impressive but discarded decorative steel mesh.

Asher
Nice contrast! Will this be its home living with right angles as its cousins?

Best, regards
James
Old June 19th, 2015, 02:39 PM

This is to be in another room! It's one maquette, front and side view! Norte that the notches and kinks in the steel are just residuals of the recycled steel rods I am using. These will be smoothed out in the subsequent 3D model!

I have my stuff everywhere and need to negotiate with my wife for the space!

Asher

Old June 19th, 2015, 07:55 PM

Computer generated 3D model from "Structure™" 3D scan 2015

As you can see, the original kinks in the steel the wire have been smoothed out!

Asher

Old June 19th, 2015, 11:35 PM

Oh gosh, but those kinks are so much a part of the feel of the piece. They give it a very grounded and natural feel in opposition to the clinicalness of the steel. There is a 'wateriness' to the kinks connecting the image of the fish to its natural environment.

Absolutely beautiful piece. I hope you are going to keep the original sculpture. It is unique in its own right.
Old June 19th, 2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Tracy View Post
Oh gosh, but those kinks are so much a part of the feel of the piece. They give it a very grounded and natural feel in opposition to the clinicalness of the steel. There is a 'wateriness' to the kinks connecting the image of the fish to its natural environment.

Absolutely beautiful piece. I hope you are going to keep the original sculpture. It is unique in its own right.
Wow! You found a fish! What would Sigmund Freud say?

Yes it's a wonderful creature!m

Thanks for visiting!

Asher

Old June 20th, 2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Wow! You found a fish! What would Sigmund Freud say?

Yes it's a wonderful creature!m

Thanks for visiting!

Asher
It isn't a fish? It looks fish-like ... head one end, tail the other .... or is it a sculptural Rorschach test?
Old June 20th, 2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
It isn't a fish? It looks fish-like ... head one end, tail the other .... or is it a sculptural Rorschach test?
Now you have exposed the obvious fish, I won't be able to keep people in the dark!

The idea is actually to create a playground for the mind. You bring your connections to it and it will host you while you wander around, imagining connections, possibilities and even moving of boundaries!

Asher

Old June 20th, 2015, 02:46 AM

I like the fishy metal version, wavy lines in the metal and all
Old June 20th, 2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I like the fishy metal version, wavy lines in the metal and all
Yes, those need to be exploited too.

A great point!

Old June 20th, 2015, 02:01 PM

Asher, I am doubly and duly impressed. First the vision, followed by the execution.

Excellent work, doctor.

Best.
Old June 20th, 2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
Asher, I am doubly and duly impressed. First the vision, followed by the execution.

Excellent work, doctor.

Best.
Fahim,

This is still a work in progress. Now I have to bend and weld 1" steel to that shape and then polish it and paint it red! Above is my computer generated version, coming from a scan!

Asher

Old June 21st, 2015, 08:11 AM

Asher

I too saw a fish immediately before comments- I love the piece being a Pisces relates so well. The delicate nature of the sculpture is so very valid and striking- Also an upside down bird!! Nice to imagine this piece.

Charlotte-