Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Close-up & Macro

Close-up & Macro Macro and Micro Plants, insects, ice and other micro or macro artistic work

Old August 8th, 2018, 09:15 AM

Default Fractured

Fractured is from my Naturally Abstract collection and was composed at Dreher Island State Park in Prosperity, SC. It is pine sap with amazing stress lines. The hardest part was trying to find areas where bugs weren't trapped in it. ;-)

The Artist's Story blog post for this piece (and a couple of others) explains how I believe these areas were created and can be read here: pine sap

Old August 8th, 2018, 12:15 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dillon View Post
Fractured is from my Naturally Abstract collection and was composed at Dreher Island State Park in Prosperity, SC. It is pine sap with amazing stress lines. The hardest part was trying to find areas where bugs weren't trapped in it. ;-)

The Artist's Story blog post for this piece (and a couple of others) explains how I believe these areas were created and can be read here: pine sap

Steve,

This is so enjoyable. Also it reminds me of the appearance, color and texture of the fossilized redwood trees in Arizona.

As an aside, those trapped insects which you have strived to avoid have allowed paleoarchaelogists to date geological strata and learn about evolution of living things from even 10 to 160 millions of years ago. Amazingly, the DNA sequences may be preserved in the process!

So this photograph works on so many levels from esthetics to learning about our precious planet!

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 8th, 2018, 12:18 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

As an after thought, have you thought of selective blending of this with another photograph of a deer or person? You may be really impressed by such an exploration!

I try to remember I have such goodies for my creative moments, like bringing home a crushed cola can or a weathered driftwood shape from the beach.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 9th, 2018, 11:07 PM

Great series. Loved it!
Old August 15th, 2018, 09:19 AM

Asher,
Thanks for looking and the very kind words. As valuable as those bugs are from a scientific perspective, I just wanted a clean foreground. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post

Steve,

This is so enjoyable. Also it reminds me of the appearance, color and texture of the fossilized redwood trees in Arizona.

As an aside, those trapped insects which you have strived to avoid have allowed paleoarchaelogists to date geological strata and learn about evolution of living things from even 10 to 160 millions of years ago. Amazingly, the DNA sequences may be preserved in the process!

So this photograph works on so many levels from esthetics to learning about our precious planet!

Thanks for sharing.

Asher
Old August 15th, 2018, 09:20 AM

I had not considered that so thanks for the suggestion. I don't do much in PS, but I have thought that some day (when I'm too old and tired to drag my gear all over the place), playing with those types of ideas might produce something worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
As an after thought, have you thought of selective blending of this with another photograph of a deer or person? You may be really impressed by such an exploration!

I try to remember I have such goodies for my creative moments, like bringing home a crushed cola can or a weathered driftwood shape from the beach.

Asher
Old August 15th, 2018, 09:21 AM

Thank you for looking and commenting. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshni Patel View Post
Great series. Loved it!
Old August 15th, 2018, 04:43 PM

An intriguing image. I clicked on "pine sap" link and found that you offer the image for sale. If I were in the market to buy such an image I would certainly hope it would come without a lot of text slathered across the top. Do you sell your images with out this?