Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Riskit!

Riskit! Explore new areas. Critique will be tough love!

Old March 12th, 2017, 12:53 AM

Default All By Myself...

Here are two photos of a Donkey I took in town. Not the main road... the main road IS tarred! Still have donkeys on it sometimes but at least it is tarred... anywhoo I sort of like the first one better but, what do you guys think?

Old March 12th, 2017, 03:11 AM

Hi, Katin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Hannah View Post
Here are two photos of a Donkey I took in town. Not the main road... the main road IS tarred! Still have donkeys on it sometimes but at least it is tarred... anywhoo I sort of like the first one better but, what do you guys think?

The first one, certainly.

Best regards,

Doug
Old March 12th, 2017, 03:37 AM

Thank you Doug!
Old March 12th, 2017, 10:50 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Hannah View Post

Well done!

This is your "trademark" and defense against blind nationalism, sports mania, bigots and folk who see magic!

Long live our lifeline to reality and hope, humor!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old March 12th, 2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Well done!

This is your "trademark" and defense against blind nationalism, sports mania, bigots and folk who see magic!

Long live our lifeline to reality and hope, humor!

Asher
Hey!! Don't diss magic! Anyone who has seen the perfect sun beam light up a flowers petals has seem a moment of magic!

Oh I have read far to much Terry Pratchett and Xanth novels to NOT have gained a little humour along the way lol As for any sort of nationalism... I don't think I have a nationalist bone in my body, this I think comes from coming from a county where the national flag looks like a pair of bright Y fronts. (a type of underwear) lmao.
Old April 11th, 2017, 02:05 PM

I find the vehicle in the background very distracting.
Old April 11th, 2017, 02:53 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Reaction to apparently distracting elements!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ritter View Post
I find the vehicle in the background very distracting.
Michael,

I agree, but I allow for the artist's intent, or else everyone should make photographs with our own unquestionably good guidelines.

However, there are schools of photography that echew even removing a dented cola can from a otherwise pristine wedding picture, as they strive for "the truth".

Maggie Terlackie, one of our OPF photographers, often quotes the late Leonard Cohen's poetry

"There's a crack, a crack in everything. That's where the light comes in!"

So for in this instance, the kind of "out of place", distracting element as the truck, could add contrast, absurdity, or an opening for a testing of some accepted ideas we take for granted, or it could be simply poor taste.

I am generous and humble about these things. After all, my own lack of immediate appreciation might be down to inexperience. There may be a new range of ideation that I am not yet qualified or interlectually or culturally prepared to entertain right now.

To really appreciate heads by Picasso one might need to already be familiar with the work by Matisse that inspired him!

Not that I put these pictures on the same rare plane of achievement. Rather I am constantly aware that art appreciation has many dependencies that I might not have experienced as yet. So while I might say, "Why on earth didn't you clone away that distracting truck?" I won't declare that the photograph is fatally flawed. However, I might do that if the photographer's explanation seems absurd!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:25 PM

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, K. I prefer the first one.

Like your location! ...and the mome raths outgrabe