Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Uptown: Explore at your risk! Beware! You hold OPF harmless by you participation! > Photography of Strife, Disaster, Rescue and Hope: empathy, yes, but no propaganda!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default No huff in cyclone Aleesia

Our first cyclone for the season, a woman no less, puffed through on the weekend. As weak as yesterday's custard! Not even big enough to send the locals to the cellars with a slab of beer and the radio tuned to the cricket.
Not to be one to downgrade the disasters that happen elsewhere but what about us, god? Here we are sitting on our verandah with the BBQ blazing and the dog chained to the fence and you let us down with that piddly thing. I could get more wind from eating a can of beans.

But I'm patient. Send Aleesia over the Gulf for a few days, then send her back for another go. I'm waiting.



_D3S3950 by tom.dinning, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,940
Default

I really laughed at that Tom, do people really chain their bbq and dog to the fence? I can imagine the scene which would ensue when the cyclone is right above them. One would have to have the camera ready to capture that sight.

Show us more please.
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 27th, 2013, 03:05 AM
Bart_van_der_Wolf Bart_van_der_Wolf is offline
pro member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
I really laughed at that Tom, do people really chain their bbq and dog to the fence? I can imagine the scene which would ensue when the cyclone is right above them. One would have to have the camera ready to capture that sight.
Hi Cem,

LOL, chaining one's dog to the fence may keep it from chasing the flying cows and sheep ...

Cheers,
Bart
__________________
If you do what you did, you'll get what you got.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
Our first cyclone for the season, a woman no less, puffed through on the weekend. As weak as yesterday's custard! Not even big enough to send the locals to the cellars with a slab of beer and the radio tuned to the cricket.
Not to be one to downgrade the disasters that happen elsewhere but what about us, god? Here we are sitting on our verandah with the BBQ blazing and the dog chained to the fence and you let us down with that piddly thing. I could get more wind from eating a can of beans.

But I'm patient. Send Aleesia over the Gulf for a few days, then send her back for another go. I'm waiting.



_D3S3950 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Tom,

I still wouldn't build a current water cooled nuclear reactor anywhere near Darwin. The denizens would want to make their own pipes and valves and use their pet hounds for security.

But so what, the beach works without electricity anyway! Pretty spectacular view with no radiation leak problem!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 27th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
I really laughed at that Tom, do people really chain their bbq and dog to the fence? I can imagine the scene which would ensue when the cyclone is right above them. One would have to have the camera ready to capture that sight.

Show us more please.
'Fraid so, Cem. There's a saying here about storms: "strong enough to blow the dog of its chain". Pets aren't allowed into cyclone shelters. They just weather the storm. Chaining them up means they are at least easier to find afterwards.
The BBQ is too big to store indoors. Some are big enough to cook a sheep or pig. They get tied to the same fence as the dog. Hopefully it adds bulk.
You probably already know but for the rest of the audience, when a cyclone is directly overhead it is very still and quiet. That's the ' eye' and has little or no air movement. That's the point at which all the **** hits the ground in readiness for the next blast which picks it all up and pelts it. Our house is built to withstand winds of 250 km/h. The neighbors dog chain will withstand speeds of 300 km/h.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Andy brown Andy brown is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,094
Default

Great shot Tom.

I'm reminded of the lovely work of Peter Jarver.

Stay safe out (up) there.
The south east of Aus copped some 100 kmh winds 3 times this Spring. puff puff.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:00 AM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy brown View Post
Great shot Tom.

I'm reminded of the lovely work of Peter Jarver.

Stay safe out (up) there.
The south east of Aus copped some 100 kmh winds 3 times this Spring. puff puff.
I wish. Not that I want to take pictures like Peter. Not my style. A bit of his fame wouldn't go astray, just to feed my pathetic ego.
His gallery is in Cairnes. Worth a lookin.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cyclone season Tom dinning The Amazing Stories Behind Pictures: Places, Events, Poetry, Works of Art 15 June 2nd, 2012 06:22 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!