Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Uptown: Explore at your risk! Beware! You hold OPF harmless by you participation! > Photography of Strife, Disaster, Rescue and Hope: empathy, yes, but no propaganda!

Old July 26th, 2011, 11:42 AM

Default Oslo bombing

23rd July, the day after.
There was a procession of people walking around the sealed off perimeter with tiny cameras. I kind of did my "penitence" with the norma 8x10 on my shoulders.

On this picture, you see journalists, then the cordon with military (kids, really, with guns). Flowers are at the foot of the traffic light.

I am on top of stairs of a church. I always cycle past this and turn left. Sometimes if I need to by something, I cycle straight down and turn left at the bend, in between the bits sticking out: this is where the blast occurred.

Background: the building that was targeted. The blast occurred behind it. The security guys are sitting on some stairs leading to some nice columns.
This is actually a nice area, where I always thought I'd come with a model and take pictures. Especially of that building targeted: it has a shallow fountain making some kind of mirror.

One street behind is a square (Youngstorget) where there are nice cafes. As of today (26th July), they are still off limits.

Old July 26th, 2011, 11:47 AM

The bomb exploded in that street. You can see the helicopter pad of the oil ministry (and in the full res the rescue unit on the balcony).

sinar norma 8x10 - lynkeioskope 480

The car exploded behind this building (high resolution here)

sinar norma 8x10 - dagor 240mm

Old July 26th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Flower carpet after yesterdays emotional gathering. Shot this morning 27th July.
Bigger size here.

sinar 8x10, magnifying glass (360/6)

Same, but with a 9" Port-Land meniscus lens @ f/8
Bigger size here.

Old July 26th, 2011, 11:55 AM

I was processing film when I heard a loud sound that made the window shake and made me jump. I did not realize it was a blast 1 km away until I read the news. Sky filled with helicopters and with the sound of sirens.

As if the blast was not enough, this demented bozzo opened fire at a youth rally and killed too many people trapped on a small island, one by one, during 1:30h.

I thought I was going mad with all this chaos around, feeling useless. Called a friend and went out for a beer to wind down. First time there was so few people in Grunnerlokka on a Friday night. I bet most were singles (like me).

People have felt the need to light candles in churches, deposit flowers in ephemera monuments, or just walk around. I chose to carry my 8x10 to document what happened here.
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:12 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Stephane,

Thanks so much for bring such iconic and heart-rendering pictures to us. This tragedy tests us. The outpouring of grief and re-assertion of the commonality of humanity will overcome the evil behind this horror. Your work is important as a memorial and reminder to us. That you made these picture lugging around and 8x10 Sinar is remarkable!

Amitiés,

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:41 PM

More on flowers in a BBC report.

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:13 PM

Stephane

Thank you for sharing your pictures and thoughts.

I watched in horror on Friday night as information about the attacks unfurled. We visited Norway only two years ago and our hearts go out to you all.

Mike
Old July 27th, 2011, 10:57 PM

You are welcome to leave comments, pictures and references as condolences to the people of Norway.

Visiting photographers, To get posting privileges, simply register with "Oslo" added to the "Interests" section of the form for rapid attention. We'd really like pictures that show us more of the people of Oslo.

Asher

Old July 28th, 2011, 09:40 AM

Stephane,

I have been to Norway more than once. I know the warmth and friendliness of the people of Norway.
I also know the level of their tolerance for human beings.

Our prayers are with the families of the victims and the People of Norway.

May God give you all the patience and strength to see through this inhuman act of barbarism.

With our sincere wishes and prayers to and for you all.
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:56 AM

Default In Memory of Oslo

By request of Asher Kelman

In Memory of Oslo
Charlotte Thompson
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte thompson View Post

In Memory of Oslo
Charlotte Thompson
Charlotte,

A wonderful tribute. I'm glad to see your skills and heartfelt empathy and oneness with those mourning in Oslo and the entire people of Norway for the senseless and cruel loss of so many young lives full of great potential. You are talented and able to take inanimate objects to express your feelings and that's a gift!

Asher

Old August 1st, 2011, 06:27 AM

Hi, Stephane,

Thank you for this extraordinary work. It shows us the context of the carnage through multiple "prisms" - of course to be less metaphorical, through multiple "lenses".

It is wonderful to think of your impulse to go to the street with an 8x10 in "hand". You carry into the modern time some of the best impulses of photographers through the ages.

By the way, welcome to our forum.

Best regards,

Doug
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:29 AM

Hi, Charlotte,

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte thompson View Post

In Memory of Oslo
Charlotte Thompson
Thanks for this wonderful display of your special insight and artistry.

Best regards,

Doug
Old August 1st, 2011, 07:27 AM

Asher

Thank you for the inspiration- This was an extremely special overlay for me because of the situation and the tribute had to be able to say it without words

Charlotte-

Doug
Thank you- the work meant much to me!

Charlotte-
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:12 PM

I hope we see more tributes. Even a flower! We cannot just go after mementos, earning money, prettiness and beauty.

Asher

Old August 1st, 2011, 04:04 PM

What a wonderful idea. The tributes are lovely.

I've posted this before, but it seems to fit here.

Monet's Garden: Jacob Eliana Photography
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Foster View Post
What a wonderful idea. The tributes are lovely.

I've posted this before, but it seems to fit here.

Monet's Garden: Jacob Eliana Photography
This picture has long mesmerized me with its symbolism. Fitting indeed for this time of respect and empathy.

Asher

Old August 4th, 2011, 05:56 AM

Requiescant in pace
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:11 AM

Default Deep Sorrow

I have just returned from a much needed mini vacation . I went to Corpus Christi for 2 days. While running on the crystal clear waters and beach sand so very light and extremely happy I couldn't still shake all the feeling that stayed with me- "The Children" who died in Norway so morning after I returned I did another overlay to show how my heart still aches-

Deep Sorrow
Charlotte Thompson
Old August 4th, 2011, 03:26 PM

I love the daisies.

Asher, I thought the "cross" in the tulip was a good reminder that one extremist Christian does not represent Christians any more than extremist Muslims in the news represent Muslims.

Thanks for the kind words.