HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Layback Cafe

Layback Cafe Let's chat!

Old November 13th, 2017, 02:29 PM

Default A pharmacy

Old November 13th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Not in China but, from China !

I am sure that some of these medicines are not to be trusted...

Where is this ?
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Old November 13th, 2017, 11:57 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
More scary than fun… Asher don't run away! :-)
Good catch Jerome
Africa?
Old November 14th, 2017, 01:28 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Jerome,

Bravo for tgecshot!

This is a colorful true portrait of the wonderful lady and her trade.

If these were original medicines I wouldn't like them either. When a physician prescribes, he has a 5% chance of not doing the best for his/her patient. When you choose drugs yourself, it goes to at least 40% risk of harm.

But here who knows what's in the pill anyway? The "pharmacist" has no knowledge and neither do the patients in hope of getting a treatment!

Could be a useful drug or just mixtures of outdated vitamins or hair restorer or carpet cleaner from from China or India!

Sad!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old November 14th, 2017, 01:31 AM

So far I have not recognized the location. The drugs have English labels. Nigeria has clinics and so does Ghana.

I would not be surprised to see this in a township in South Africa as prosperity is limited. But I really don't have a clue as to the location.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:56 AM

I would venture somewhere in Africa with Continental European influence.
Not India. Not China. Look at the numeral ' 7 '.

China and India, after the debacle of Teva pharmaceuticals, are some of the best generic drug manufacturers. At a much lower cost.

As to the illustrated medications...strange that they have more English/American sounding names.
And the script?

Maybe after the French/Belgians left, the British/American influence superseded the previous ' owners '.
Old November 14th, 2017, 12:16 PM

Maybe I‘ll let you play the detectives for a few days, although Asher could cheat and check the forum logs to see from which i.p. I am posting.

The country has official pharmacies, one is about 100m to the right. Presumably, this one is cheaper. I think that people go to their doctors and, when given a list of medecines to buy try to get a cheaper version here. All medecines bore the name of the main ingredient prominently. I would not think that the seller is completely ignorant either, she tried to sell me one of the packs with the lion head (sildenafil citrate).

I think these medecines can be bought on alibaba in bulk, but I have no idea whether they actually contain the active ingredients they advertise.
Old November 14th, 2017, 03:44 PM

I wouldn't cheat, but try to rack my brains. I try to think of a place that has a culture that makes those drums and could have such an urban market.

This could be Johannesburg or nearby townships as there is a lot of poverty and there would be a need for inexpensive pharmacy sources.

If the drummers are from the same location, it would make sense that they do not boast the more beautiful regalia of Zulus celebrating some event.

Feathers in the drums like this is highly unusual for hundreds of drum designs I have seen. Not one had such feathers. However, if a township lacked connection with tribal tradition, then it would be easy to imagine local creativity filling that cultural void and the drums being decorated.

Of course, this could be common in a place like Reunion Island that I have never visited!

Then we could be totally off and this could be somewhere like Fiji!

Asher