• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Critique???????

ErikJonas

Banned
Critique....I'm not a real big fan of critiquing...

No offense to those who posted on the images of mine that are up but to say well this should be cropped this way or that way....I dont see that as critiquing thats more of a shooting or editing style...We each could shoot the same sceen and we each would shoot it and edit it a bit differant. Based on personal preferance....I do look at various croppings when editing...My end product is what i think looks best...

So when people say well crop here or crop like this i say no thats not the image that i want...Cropping is not a critique....I think a critique is good for someone just starting out where you can point out things like where it might be too harsh of light or some technical aspects of the image....

A good image is a good image and a bad one just that and theres not much help for a bad image...I have seen some people pick apart super tiny things on a image just so they can have something to say about it, thats stupid...I had someone say on one of my images my horizon was a 18th of a inch off, crooked....I was like WHAT...And the worlds not flat not every horizon is perfectly level.....

I say this knowing though that i still have so much to learn...I am self taught and taught by the grace of others along the way....Things that i say now as i learn i might look back on and be like wow what was i thinking....I'm sure there are many here with formal educations, degrees in photography....Maybe i dont fully understand the critiqueness....This is the part of learning...

Some of the most help i have gotten has been being told of things to take note of while shooting...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Critique....I'm not a real big fan of critiquing...

No offense to those who posted on the images of mine that are up but to say well this should be cropped this way or that way....

As far as I know, Erik, no one tells anyone else what must be done, rather provides an alternate way of framing that might be considered. To get yourself updated on the entire OPF approach to feedback, a good start is the excellent work by Cem Usakligil. I happen to have added some simple pointers but his contribution remains the unspoken standard we consider in vogue at this time.

You will find Cem's approach and guide here.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I dont see that as critiquing thats more of a shooting or editing style...We each could shoot the same sceen and we each would shoot it and edit it a bit differant. Based on personal preferance....I do look at various croppings when editing...My end product is what i think looks best...

Erik,

Of course you think it looks best as that's why you chose it for showing and feedback. We use the term C&C, critique and comment. This is a report, by the person experiencing your work on how the image does and might impact on them if presented differently.

There are all sorts of barriers to folk experiencing a picture the way you do. Remember, you were there an know far more of your world than the viewer. So a lot of signals that come from your memory, may nor be encoded and our experience may therefore fall short of yours. That's why we offer our precious work for feedback in the first place.

So when people say well crop here or crop like this i say no thats not the image that i want...Cropping is not a critique....I think a critique is good for someone just starting out where you can point out things like where it might be too harsh of light or some technical aspects of the image....
The window in which the scene is viewed is one of the most important physical attributes of an image, no less important than anything else. It can calibrate the weights of all the units in an image and even, perhaps change meaning. We have one landscape photographer who love what's around so much, but cannot frame properly but can do that perfectly well with people or flowers. Framing is in fact a challenge. It's part of what we look at in every singe image.

A good image is a good image and a bad one just that and theres not much help for a bad image...

That sounds like Georg Bush JR talking, LOL. Good? Good for what? Almost all so called "bad images" can be used that image as a platform for all of us to learn to be more effective.

Here, we do see many shades of gray. A shot of a man may be "no good" for inclusion in an annual report of the Board of Directors of a company, but would be charming in a frame on the desk of his nurse-daughter in a military hospital in Afghanistan. That same picture might be worth a lot of the chap had stolen the Crown Jules and substitutes fakes and did it 40 years ago and no one found out until today when jumped overboard a yacht in the Atlantic.

Pictures are to entertain us. "Good", "no good" depends on the circumstances.

Asher