• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Musicians on White Seamless for Brochure

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here's an example of pictures I do on white seamless. Light is from a 7ft Octadome lit mainly by a Lumdedyne single source at about 30 WS. Images are taken with the 5DII with a 24-105 L lens There's a second light above and to the right of the camera to give some dimension also at ~30 ws. The seamless is lit by two lumedyne lights at 100 W/S.

_MG_3874_800.jpg

Enjoy!

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Hi Asher,

IMHO this is a pro job, I'm having a hard time trying to find something to nitpick. This was one group shot, or is it a comp? What I like the most is the personality these artists project: happy friendly young talent. The smooth reflections of light on the instruments looks very nice too. Very well done!

PS, I'm glad to see your 5D is back to business!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
looks clean to me

Do you have boom arm for the octa? i have a 7' Westcott Octa that I found in the used dept of B&H but it's new. I need to get the accessories to use it with my monoblocks

Asher Kelman

Thanks Rachel, ruben and Kathy,

These are shot together, but because they are on seamless, I cut them out to have a transparent background plus the shadow and can recompose. In this case I will add several other choices for the flautist!

The light should be on a nice boom but in this studio, my third in a year, I have too little room. IHopefully I'll graduate to something bigger and then I may have tracklights.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
How are these images used?

I ask because it seems odd that all the sitters grinning at the camera. The low, heroic angle also seems odd, as if you've shot these to fit a specific design. That big soft dish seems to have flattened these subjects. (I often wonder if these big dish reflectors haven't become faddishly overused.) Your distance from the subjects also puzzles me. These are not at all intimate portraits. The students become objects in such scenes. They also are not posed to show any engagement with their instruments. It's as if the instruments are merely props rather than integral parts of the kids' emerging identities.

I would have expected portraits of student musicians to be on a darker background, perhaps even with what appears to be an orchestra in the bokeh. Perhaps one key light illuminating the face and part of an instrument as the student plays intently. The message being "picture your kid here" at a school where Sissy can concentrate on her future world-class greatness.

Asher Kelman

Ken,

Thanks for your remarks. I'll address them in order.
How are these images used?

This particular image, with the girl on the left being replaced by another pose, will be used about 1.5 inches high in a brochure for recruiting new gifted students. It is designed to be be celebratory to balance the more somber miniature of a string quartet also shown on that page.

The low, heroic angle also seems odd, as if you've shot these to fit a specific design.

I also have the same set taken from the top of a ladder looking down.
The pictures might be used to compose a 15x20 foot canvas banner on the side of the school facing the Walt Disney concert Hall. So looking from below works.

That big soft dish seems to have flattened these subjects. (I often wonder if these big dish reflectors haven't become faddishly overused.)

When photographing a group of young folk, the flattened light is simply more flattering. Pimples and rashes tend to vanish! I use another light, (for as much dimension as I dare) on my upper right, (at 45 degrees down and to their left), and sometimes use the octa from the side.,

(I also use one soft side light which is 8 ft high and one 36x36 box, again to my right and angled 45 degrees to the subject as my usual set up.)

Your distance from the subjects also puzzles me. These are not at all intimate portraits. The students become objects in such scenes.

Explain objectification and shooting distance. At large distances from above, for sure, the people become items. These, however, are shot very close at 5-6 feet max. (My studio length is limiting but I am hopefully moving to my 3rd studio shortly, if I'm favored by luck and good fortune.)

They also are not posed to show any engagement with their instruments. It's as if the instruments are merely props rather than integral parts of the kids' emerging identities.

Separately I'll show them playing. These pictures are a great comic-release to the musicians who identify with the great joy and relief from tension at the end of a great performance that they know they aced and the audience love them for. This is a set of my styling and I'll show more to give an idea of how such images might sometimes work well.

I would have expected portraits of student musicians to be on a darker background, perhaps even with what appears to be an orchestra in the bokeh.

Often that's exactly the case and these are live shots.

In the new studio, I'll have multiple backgrounds. However, these pictures are dropped on to white pages with text.

Perhaps one key light illuminating the face and part of an instrument as the student plays intently.

This is my next stage of work. It requires more individual attention and is the highest form of presentation. It is not easy with limited time, a large work load and groups with a lot of different face structures such as indented European with smooth Asiatic faces and dark skin. Still, this is my ultimate goal and you are absolutely correct that this aesthetic should be explored too. More than one key light will be needed, for sure.

The message being "picture your kid here" at a school where Sissy can concentrate on her future world-class greatness.

Some pictures, Ken, are made to intrigue, amuse, startle, stop folk and get them to turn the page, enter the world we offer and see what it's really about. Then it becomes dead serious as you will see when I share a real brochure constructed in this way.

When the current new concept brochure is printed in final form, I'll post the images and explain my final choices. Also as I prepare the banners, I'll share this work too here with you.

The pictures are taken at one sitting as a group but also individual images are also made. The musicians play seriously and then are posed as shown here, for example for fun shots to enable me to have a library of figures for composing for a myriad of purposes.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Ken,

So here's the Colburn conservatory of Music's version of that class of images you suggest on a black background, but below is just a snapshot of the advertisement from a performance at the Walt Disney Concert Hall across the street! I took the original picture recently so I was so surprised to see it in the magazine!. The original was not posed, rather taken at a live performance with the 5DII and the 70-200 2.8 L IS, generally at f 4.0, encased in a Sound Blimp™.

Colburn WDCH Advert_MG_9185.jpg

Asher Kelman: Photo The Conservatory Orchestra, Colburn Conservatory of Music
Advertisement May 2010 A Phil Performance Magazine.
Graphic Design, Corky Retson

I had no idea this was coming out! I just provided the pictures. Had I known I would have provided carefully processed mages in Adobe RGB 16 BIT for the printer and not an image with blow outs on the violins, LOL! I cannot possibly prepare every image in the library. Still, the bright harsh areas, (not quite so bad in the magazine) might actually help give the impression of a live performance, but I'm not sure of that.

Asher

Asher Kelman

The picture is needed to illustrate Chamber Music opportunities in the new Academy for 12-18 year old super-talented kids. There's another picture of a string quartet, (2 violins, a viola and a cello) and that, of course is very conservative and rather formal. So I photographed what's really unusual but visually impressive, a Chamber Music Trio with one harp, a flue and a viola. So this is mean to be especially joyous as they enjoy thunderous applause from an audience they brought to their feet!

_MG_3874_800.jpg

This works but is it strong enough. I feel that ideas should be tested to the nth. Might the whole picture might be more dynamic with the flautist really excited?! Fortunately one can easily cut out part of the original photograph and replace one figure with another. This is an advantage to working with white seamless backgrounds in the studio! So here goes:

_MG_3874composite_800.jpg

Enjoy! If my impression is correct, the new pose of the flautist really makes the entire picture more dynamic. So now feel free to give feedback. What do you think?

Asher

If my impression is correct, the new pose of the flautist really makes the entire picture more dynamic. So now feel free to give feedback. What do you think?

Hi Asher,

I agree, very upbeat (pun intended). The only concern I have is about the harpist's left foot. The relatively close proximity when shooting added some 'size' that doesn't look natural.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

I agree, very upbeat (pun intended). The only concern I have is about the harpist's left foot. The relatively close proximity when shooting added some 'size' that doesn't look natural.

Cheers,
Bart

Interesting that you'd notice that! I was on a ladder to the right of the lighting, an octadome. Can the brain just sort that out or should I decrease to that of the flautist's feet?

Asher

Rachel Foster

The flautist really makes the shot. Unfortunately, the life and vibrance of the young women makes the violinist look a bit stuffy and stiff in comparison. On the other hand, perhaps that's not a bad thing, as it might suggest there is room for a variety of personality types (lively as well as more reserved) at this academy.