• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

One for a future project...

Paul Abbott

...I spotted this scene from the roadside while I was travelling around in Nova Scotia, Canada.
Seeing a huge cross like this at the end of a small cemetery was very unusual to me, given it's size and look.
It stands me in good stead for a future project I have been thinking about doing, and that is to photograph the cross wherever it maybe, except on and in churches. This image would serve me well as an initial one for the project, maybe.

jesusoncross1of1500.jpg

Paul Abbott Untitled

Mike Shimwell

Paul

An interesting picture. The square and the tonality hint at grain and film no less!

The image itself, with the base of the, somewhat elaborate, cross centred is quite stark. The subject is all, yet the setting appears lonely in he extreme. The compositon is made by the reflection picked up in the foreground puddle, giving some importance to the large and otherwise undistinguished foreground. Unconventional, clever, and I like it.

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
...I spotted this scene from the roadside while I was travelling around in Nova Scotia, Canada.
Seeing a huge cross like this at the end of a small cemetery was very unusual to me, given it's size and look.
It stands me in good stead for a future project I have been thinking about doing, and that is to photograph the cross wherever it maybe, except on and in churches. This image would serve me well as an initial one for the project, maybe.

jesusoncross1of1500.jpg

Paul Abbott Untitled

As Mike ponts out, the reflection in the puddle is certainly interesting. It also might be significant in eliciting meaning beyond what's really there, just a lonely oversized cross! The reflection, however, brings ideas of Narcissus and also a reflection of us in looking at religion for solace and for our eons-long preoccupation in defeating death.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Thanks very much, Mike and Asher.

The cemetery was out on a country road near the coastline and it was a lonely place, and the cross stood very stark indeed. The foggy morning washed out the definition in things slightly, so that made the scene look a little desolate, too.

Asher, in regard to the puddle eliciting meaning, I thought His reflection in it brings him closer to the viewer in some respect.

Regards.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, in regard to the puddle eliciting meaning, I thought His reflection in it brings him closer to the viewer in some respect.

That too, of course. I should have put it first! This idea will generate a lot more ideas. This is how a good project gets started!

Asher