• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nelson

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

I think you might agree your cats looks better centered as the stars of the show.

This one is my favorite. I like the rendering of the detail from nose and fur to eyes and expression.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

In the first one, I also wanted to express the cat feeling of superiority (cats know that they are superior ;) ). This is the reason why I chose the different angle and favored the higher position of his face.

Here is one more, taken a few seconds before your above favorite:

Abwartend - click for large version.​

Best regards,
Michael

Michael, these are wonderful photos of a wonderful animal. I think you have captured the relaxed and confident feline attitude of superiority well.

A lady friend convinced me years ago that my life would be better if it included a cat, so she rounded up a stray and voila, I was scooping litter the next day. Amazing. The lady and I eventually went our separate ways, but the cat remained in my house for twelve years and was a great companion.

Michael Nagel

Tom, thanks. Yes, cats are wonderful companions. But there are always two sides - they can be sweet, but beneath the soft surface you find that the predator is well present.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

I would not mess with him. When he does not like to be touched or carried, he will warn you (audibly) once. When you do not act accordingly, there will be a simulated attack. You will feel it, it will hurt, but not harm you. I never tried beyond that point...

He did not have an easy life in his early years, so this is understandable. He already softened a bit. Before he skipped step one and the simulated attack was pretty rough.

This is an older picture of him. Just look at the eyes...

A peaceful one for a change:

Best regards,
Michael

Great forum, I like to solve many problems
ref=as_acph_gc_dad_523_617

ref=as_li_tf_il

j8cu

huI3

Asher Kelman

Another recent one:

Best regards,
Michael

Anyone wanted to excel at portraiture would do well to start here! no9t only do these pictures create for us a personality to be respected and admired, but the form is built and delivered with the added expression of the beauty of respect for living things.

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Michael, I'm beginning to think that with cats and kids you get the best results without planning, just following their flow and trying to keep up (formal studio portraits for the mantelpiece are another thing, of course). I like his eyes in the napping series, how they go from "full alert, not a step closer mister" to "dreamyland, here I come". Nice.

Paul Abbott

Michael, this last sequence of images of a cat just about to sleep, really engages. Nice one...
I would balance the exposure of the first image in keeping with the rest. It needs a 1/2 stop more, I guess...:)

Michael Nagel

Jarmo - thanks. It was good that he did not let himself get too distracted by my presence.

Paul - thanks - I thought of it, but a simple correction would IMHO not have been sufficient as the tablecloth would become bright enough to be really distracting - a little more work is required to avoid this. The fact that his face is darker in the first one has something of hiding behind the corner...

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Winston,

Thanks! Nelson is not always tolerant - I just have a lot of patience :)
Try - the more often you do, the more used to it your cats might become...

Best regards,
Michael

Jarmo Juntunen

Thanks, nice to see good old Nelson is doing so well. What do you feed him? Postmen, moose and engine oil? That's one tough looking cat!

Asher Kelman

Asher,

In the first one, I also wanted to express the cat feeling of superiority (cats know that they are superior ;) ). This is the reason why I chose the different angle and favored the higher position of his face.

Here is one more, taken a few seconds before your above favorite:

Abwartend - click for large version.​

Michael,

Thanks for this exceptional portrait. A great ambassador for all felines!

Horatio Nelson need brocade, medals and uniform made by many artisans to appear as aristocratic and significant!

Your Nelson, however, does all this and more with just posture, attitude and knowledge of his status in the realm.

I hate to ask about lenses, but this is so beautifully sharp and creamy smooth! This is outstanding portraiture.

A very minor consideration - perhaps the reflection and contrast of Nelson's left eye could be upped a tad. What do you think?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Hi Jarmo,
Thanks, nice to see good old Nelson is doing so well. What do you feed him? Postmen, moose and engine oil? That's one tough looking cat!
Yes. he is doing well - thanks! Well, it is none of the above, he likes good cat food and he likes also to taste what we eat.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Asher,
I hate to ask about lenses, but this is so beautifully sharp and creamy smooth! This is outstanding portraiture.
Thank you! It is this astonishingly small lens.
A very minor consideration - perhaps the reflection and contrast of Nelson's left eye could be upped a tad. What do you think?
Your take - I prefer it this way as a brighter reflection would divert attention from the eye itself...

Best regards,
Michael