• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Demolition of the old Agfa-Building in Munich

Michael Nagel

This is about the demolition of the old Agfa-Building in Munich using explosives on February 17. 2008.
I will start with a general view and a few pictures of the preparations. There will be many pictures and one movie.
As the building belongs to the medical division, there is a new one now I will show at the end.

Here it goes - the windows were already removed - a general view:

Agfa - schräg gegenüber

Other side:

Vorbereitung zur Sprengung

Detail:

The big hole:

Agfa - Baugrube

Towers built for AA defense during WWII:

Zwei Türme

Please excuse the varying quality - it was my start with darktable - digging in my archive.

More to follow...

Best regards,
Michael

James Lemon

Interesting sequence of events! I was expecting more of an implosion upon itself with smaller pieces of rubble and was surprised to see such large parts of the structure still left after it collapsed.

Michael Nagel

James,

Thanks. The building was not that high - 50m. 125kg of explosives were enough and collapsing onto itself was no option. It had to fall away from the road with a slight rotational motion around the vertical axis to avoid damage of the road nearby. This is why larger chunks were still intact.

The demolition experts did this perfectly.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

I thought this demolition just happened, LOL! I'm thinking, that was fast. Those germans are indeed so efficient! Of course, I was so into the explosions, that I missed that the year 2008 in your first post!

Is this just corporate offices, or do they make film there too?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Agfa produced cameras and lab equipment in Munich - this is long gone. What remains is Agfa Healthcare. The Munich site develops imaging equipment for x-ray (image plate scanners etc.).

Best regards,
Michael