• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Emley Moor Tower

Paul Abbott

Well, I have been living in rural W. Yorkshire now since mid-November and this TV transmitting tower is literally on my doorstep, it can be seen for miles and is taller than the Eiffel Tower...although, by only 10m. :)

I had been looking for a way to photograph it in an interesting way and didn't want a general snap of it, so in my wanderings along public footpaths and through farmer's fields I came upon what you see here...

6l8i.jpg

Emley Moor Tower, West Yorkshire '13 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, I have been living in rural W. Yorkshire now since mid-November and this....................

Paul,

I don't know what made you move or whether it's permanent or not, but it sure provide a new set of opportunities! I hope we'll get to walk with you a lot like this!

and this TV transmitting tower is literally on my doorstep, it can be seen for miles and is taller than the Eiffel Tower...although, by only 10m. :)
I had been looking for a way to photograph it in an interesting way and didn't want a general snap of it, so in my wanderings along public footpaths and through farmer's fields I came upon what you see here...

6l8i.jpg

Emley Moor Tower, West Yorkshire '13 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

I'm impressed: great lighting and form!

Well, I was initially surprised by the square format. That's not common for your photographs. I'd imagined this is a major really modern building complex from an angle. Then the stone wall bluntly knocked some sense into me. Now, I understood your composition of the broken conduits. Still, I wonder how you got that light.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Paul,
Well, I have been living in rural W. Yorkshire now since mid-November and this TV transmitting tower is literally on my doorstep, it can be seen for miles and is taller than the Eiffel Tower...although, by only 10m. :)

This looks like the wreckage of the original Emley Moor Mast, the predecessor of the current structure (formally the Arqiva Tower).

Very nice.

Best regards,

Doug

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, the sun is so low in the sky even at 2pm in the afternoon, at this time of year. I have to say what a marvel the Gr was in dealing with this contrasty light too...

My opportunities for a photograph have only changed a little but I can get a quick train into certain cities like Leeds, Manchester, York, Bradford and even Scarborough on the east coast of Yorkshire, for some street photography if need be. These cities are all on the same line and only 20mins away, except for Scarborough which is 1hr.20. Anyway, I can still get down into London (2hr. train journey) too, but only once a month now. I miss my London sooo much...

I moved to Yorkshire because my wife is from here and she wanted to move back here...

I hope your good self and all on here are having a good Christmas, Asher. Regards...

Paul Abbott

Hey Doug, your quite right, the original 'mast' as it was then called was damaged. This current version is now considered to be a 'tower'.
I'm happy you picked up on all that wreckage, I don't know where it comes from but I think it's a nice play on the mind when viewing this scene, especially when someone is aware of the original (like yourself), and what happened to it...:)

I hope your having a Happy Christmas, Doug, Regards...

Doug Kerr

Hi, Paul,

Hey Doug, your quite right, the original 'mast' as it was then called was damaged. This current version is now considered to be a 'tower'.
I'm happy you picked up on all that wreckage, I don't know where it comes from but I think it's a nice play on the mind when viewing this scene, especially when someone is aware of the original (like yourself), and what happened to it...:)
Yes, it is lovely.

Historic transmitting stations are wondrous things.

One of my colleagues in another arena lives (her "country home") in Kootwijk, Netherlands, home of another famous transmitting station (the tiny town would be unknown but for that!).

I hope your having a Happy Christmas, Doug, Regards...
Yes, we are having a lovely Christmas. I hope the same for you.

Best regards,

Doug

Paul Abbott

Good to hear...

I do believe that this place has an 'open day' once a year, offering folk the opportunity to go up inside. There is a platform at the top which was lit up last night, it rarely is otherwise...I would dearly love to see inside it and what kind of view it offers...