• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hannah

Mike Shimwell

My older daughter after her Christmas show in a local churchbuilding. This is ready for print on a Ilford GFS and has involved a few layers to balance colour, unacceptably sharp areas etc.

I hope the outline frame does not offend - I just wanted some separation from the background.

Thanks

Mike

3369490094_7f3b545e4c_o.jpg

Rod Witten

pro member
Mike, was the scene candid or posed? For me, the answer to this question make a big differnece in my level of appreciation.

Thanks for posting.

Rod

Mike Shimwell

Hi Rod

Candid. Hannah is still too self conscious to manage such a pose:)

I am interested in how your appreciation is impacted?

Mike

Charlotte Thompson

As you know I love portraits (candid)

this is so very lovely for me

looks very old world
love the colors you used in ps work
even the slight out of focus goes with the old world look to it
your daughter is beautiful-

Charlotte-

Rod Witten

pro member
Hi Rod

Candid. Hannah is still too self conscious to manage such a pose:)

I am interested in how your appreciation is impacted?

Mike

Mike,

For me, candid shots deserve further contemplation about what's going on in the scene and why. Clues can be found from features including lighting. Its the reality of the candid subject versus the staged message of the photographer or advertising script when the subject/scene is posed. The world is artificial enough without introducing it in our discretionary photography.

I love your photo of Hanna.

Rod

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike,

For me, candid shots deserve further contemplation about what's going on in the scene and why. Clues can be found from features including lighting. Its the reality of the candid subject versus the staged message of the photographer or advertising script when the subject/scene is posed. The world is artificial enough without introducing it in our discretionary photography.

I love your photo of Hanna.
Mike,

I start with Rods last statement, "I love your photo of Hanna"!

Rod,

I must say that I really would love the picture as much had it been staged. Then I'd have given even more credit for that picture as creating this look in a staged picture would be remarkable, indeed! Like you, I prefer to know whether or not an image is fictive and staged or factive and shot as it really is.

Asher

Last edited:

Rod Witten

pro member
Mike,

I start with Rods last statement, "I love your photo of Hanna"!

Rod,

I must say that I really would love the picture as much had it been staged. Then I'd have given even more credit for that picture as creating this look in a staged picture would be remarkable, indeed! Like you, I prefer to know whether or not an image is fictive and staged or factive and shot as it really is.

Asher

Asher,

Yes, a staged Hanna is mostly about photography. A candid Hanna is mostly about life and in particular with this image, about innocents and charming thought with the photography a distant second (sorry Mike, but I'll bet you agree).

Rod

Mike Shimwell

Asher, Rod, Charlotte

Thanks for your kind comments.

Rod, I have no problem with photography being second to life! I very rarely stage anything. In fact except that I have an idea for a series that I would like to shoot sometime, I basically don't stage. In part it's probably my age, but I agree that we make far too much in the way of artificial imagery (I know this is an area where Asher is happy to go further than me:), for example I would not have considered reshooting Bob Sumitro's picture here http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8602) An interesting question that springs up now is what purpose would there be in stgaing innocence? In today's world we are so often subject to selling through images, even if not immediately obviously, that the idea staging innocence has a sense of unease about it.

Mike

Edited to say that this is not suggesting that staged work has less or no value, just that what interests me for pursuit at present is largely not staged. I enjoy looking at staged work as well!

Mike

Last edited:

Bob Sumitro

I too prefer candid pictures or candid portrait. I try to take candid pictures whenever possible, I try to take pictures without the subjects aware of my pressence or they ignoring my presence completely. I would try to find what I think as their best portrait angle and (sometimes) wait for the moment that I like and press the shutter.

But sometimes ... many times actually ... the subjects are aware and then they pose .. no problem with that, when they do, I take their pictures anyway.