• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

ultraviolet

1. Dr Klaus Schmitt

A surprising find....

Now this is a really, really rare lens: ZIKAR-1A, from the russian space defence program, to detect fired rockets aiming at the (then) USSR from about 45.000 km away, mounted at some camera system from a satellite in orbit around earth. It is a catadioptric system with two Beryllium mirrors...
  2. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Bidens VIS-UV live

Amazing that dark "bullseye" UV-pattern bees and butterflies can see as a landing platform, but we humans cannot... There have been scientific experiments done (Prof. em. Klaus Lunau, Düsseldorf, Germany) which prove that bees land on a flower petal and then always crawl to find the UV-dark...
  3. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Tea Candle at 250nm

A simple try to record videos at 250nm UV-C using an amplified MCP camera setup. There are rather interesting Nitrogen lines being emitted in UV-C and UV-B especially on the hot zone at the outside and top of that candle flame, where the gases get oxidized with the Oxygen of the surrounding air...
  4. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Harvest Full Moon over Castle in ultraviolet (UV)

5. Jerome Marot

Some flowers

I don't have the talent of Dr Klaus Schmitt, but I was curious to try UV photography. The first thing, I understood, was to check whether the typical UV pattern would appear on flowers: Apparently, it does. These flowers are a cultivar of phlox subulata growing on my balcony.
  6. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Saxifraga - Rockfoil in polarized UV light

Here a white Saxifraga flowers), which shows the predicted effect my friend told me about: That bees have around their eyes sensors able to detect polarized light and there woud be flowers using that: Visible light - sunlight: Reflected polarized UV, only sunlight: Reflected polarized...
  7. Dr Klaus Schmitt

If you have not enough light - amplify it!

Well, if you find yourself in a situation that there is not enough light to do for instance reflected UV photography, you have to either get no results or if you are willing to reduce resolution, use a light amplification device, such as a MCP system (Multi Channel Plate) which come also in a UV...
  8. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Taking one shot through the same lens in visible and ultraviolet light

9. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Oncostele orchid multispectral

Human vision, reflected UV, simulated butterfly and bee vision (left to right, top to bottom)
  10. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Spiderwebs reflect UV to attract prey

left human vision, right reflected UV
  11. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Rudbeckia hirta multispectral 3D stereo (crosseye)

Ddmittedly a bit tricky to see in stereo, as one has to concentrate on one of teh four images only, or there will be a center overlap of the to two top and bottom stereo images...
  12. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Rudbeckia hirta mutispectral

Quadriptych of human vision, UV, simulated butterfly and bee vision (left to right, top to bottom)
  13. Dr Klaus Schmitt

St John's wort - Hypericum multispectral

Quadriptych of human vision, UV, simulated butterfly and bee vision (left to right, top to bottom)
  14. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Colorful Ultraviolet

Well, UV has no "color" by definition of the ICC (Internat. Color Committee) as we human cannot see it. So scientifically only bw images were usually done. Then, for my first production with BBC London about what bees see, I was told by the DP: "don't bug me with boring bw images Klaus, I want...
  15. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Bidens ferulifolia multispectral and "colorful" UV

This above is my "standard", now here using an alternative "colorful" UV filter (bottom left)...
  16. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Cobweb house-leek flower - Sempervivum arachnoideum multispectral

17. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Gas flames II

Burning Propane gas... Double hexaptych (top to bottom) of Visual light; emitted UV 320-390nm, 310-350nm, 290-340nm, 280-315nm, 304-322nm. Right side is morphological gradient filtering of left side:
  18. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Gas flames...

Propane burning.... Triptych (top to bottom) Visual light, emitted UV (320-390nm, Baader-U), emitted UV-B (313nm): Triptych (top to bottom) Visual light, emitted UV (320-390nm, Baader-U), emitted UV-B (313nm) - morph. Gradient:
  19. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Gazania rigens multispectral

20. Dr Klaus Schmitt

Cliff Maids - Lewisia cotyledon multispectral