• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A forest, inoperative

Doug Kerr

Hi, Don,

Although "illegal alien" is a badly formed phrase, it is widely used (albeit not by this office), and I recognize that.

Best regards,

Doug

Don Ferguson Jr.

Hi, Don,

Thank you for your (mostly) careful citation.

It is improper entry that is illegal.

The person committing such is not illegal.

Best regards

Doug
But a person is an illegal alien as one cannot be a legal alien if they break the law per this statute. And there are numerous federal statues that use the exact phrase ''illegal alien'' so it is correct under federal law.

Michael Nagel

Related:

No human is illegal (literal translation from below):

Different languages handle this in different ways.

Also related.

Language is a curious thing...

Best regards,
Michael

Doug Kerr

Hi, Don,

But a person is an illegal alien as one cannot be a legal alien

I think you mean "legal immigrant". A person's being an alien cannot be made legal, any more than being a man, or being of Polish ancestry, can be made legal. Your being in this country can be made legal (at matter of immigration).

"Alien" is not an immigration status.

if they break the law per this statute. And there are numerous federal statues that use the exact phrase ''illegal alien'' so it is correct under federal law.
Sure. It means "illegal immigrant."

Best regards,

Doug

Don Ferguson Jr.

Hi, Don,

I think you mean "legal immigrant". A person's being an alien cannot be made legal, any more than being a man, or being of Polish ancestry, can be made legal. Your being in this country can be made legal (at matter of immigration).

"Alien" is not an immigration status.

Sure. It means "illegal immigrant."

Best regards,

Doug

Seems you follow the Sotomayor school of law. Y'all have fun being politically correct as I have Clemson football to watch. :D

Doug Kerr

"Illegal alien" is a term widely used to mean, approximately, "an alien who is in this country contrary to [presumably federal] law".

It appears very infrequently in the United States Code, but very commonly in state and municipal statutes, and often in discussions of immigration law.

It is not, to the best of my knowledge, defined in the United States Code.

It might seem that a definition is given by 8 U.S.C 1365(b). To introduce this passage, I first quote 8 U.S.C 1365(a) [blue emphasis mine]:

(a) Reimbursement of States
Subject to the amounts provided in advance in appropriation Acts, the Attorney General shall reimburse a State for the costs incurred by the State for the imprisonment of any illegal alien or Cuban national who is convicted of a felony by such State.

Now for 8 U.S.C 1365(b)[blue emphasis mine]:

(b) Illegal aliens convicted of a felony
An illegal alien referred to in subsection (a) of this section is any alien who is any alien convicted of a felony who is in the United States unlawfully and—
(1) whose most recent entry into the United States was without inspection, or
(2) whose most recent admission to the United States was as a nonimmigrant and—
(A) whose period of authorized stay as a nonimmigrant expired, or
(B) whose unlawful status was known to the Government,
before the date of the commission of the crime for which the alien is convicted.

Subclauses (1) and (2) might seem to give a general definition of "illegal alien". But note that this entire clause (b) only applies to the term as used in 8 U.S.C 1365(a). Thus it does not constitute a general definition of the term as it might be used in statutes.

Editorial note: (b)(2)B) does not make sense. If the person was most recently admitted as a non immigrant [(b)(2)], and the situation of (b)(2)(A) does not obtain [else why would (b)(2)(B) be needed] then what unlawful status is referred to in (b)(2)(B)?​

Next week: The definition and significance of the term "Illegal Freemason".

Best regards,

Doug