• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Little Road Trip

Steven Sinski

_DSC2277_DxO copy-X5 copy 2.jpg

_DSC2819_DxO copy-X5 copy 2.jpg

_DSC2910_DxO copy-X5.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Steven,

These are splendid. The give an immediate representation of a journey with engaging atmosphere.

I need to study them as you’ve captured so much detail and drama in apparently otherwise quiet and impressive scenes!

Asher

Steven Sinski

That is the Devils Tower in Wyoming. It was used as a prop in the movie "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind". It is an incredible piece of nature's artistic work.

Steven, now I remember! Something about it felt familiar, but then I was confused and thought, no way, I don't know. It's incredible for sure!

Asher Kelman

Steven,

What’s the story about this amazing rock formation……

2C68B80E-CC96-48CF-82A3-03E3C148DE42.jpeg

….the head and the intriguing “window”?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Such a beautifully restored locomotive, Steven. I am so impressed!

Can it actually move or is this in a museum?

Asher

Asher Kelman

From Wikipedia

“The Jupiter was built in September 1868 by the Schenectady Locomotive Works of New York, along with four other engines of identical specifications, numbered 61, 62, 63, and 84, named the Storm, Whirlwind, and Leviathan, and Gazelle, respectively. These were then dismantled and sailed to San Francisco, California, loaded onto a river barge, and sent to the Central Pacific headquarters in Sacramento. After reassembly they were commissioned into service on March 20, 1869.”

So, Steven, this one is a replica of the original. But does it run?

Asher

Steven Sinski

on the way home. shot in Oberlin, Kansas just at sunriseView attachment 11091
From Wikipedia

“The Jupiter was built in September 1868 by the Schenectady Locomotive Works of New York, along with four other engines of identical specifications, numbered 61, 62, 63, and 84, named the Storm, Whirlwind, and Leviathan, and Gazelle, respectively. These were then dismantled and sailed to San Francisco, California, loaded onto a river barge, and sent to the Central Pacific headquarters in Sacramento. After reassembly they were commissioned into service on March 20, 1869.”

Asher
both engines are replicas of the originals that were scrapped after relatively short service for $1000. these replicas are fully operational and give demonstrations at the Promontory Point NPS Park.
From Wikipedia

Asher
yes, both replicas are fully operational and demonstrated daily at the park.