• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Accidental Death of a Pet

Mary Bull

Sean DeMerchant made a post in the Layback Cafe late Friday night, September 29, 2006, which he titled "Unpleasant, Graphic, Sad."

The words do fit what he had to tell, and yet what he had to tell was very moving, and an important topic to talk about. Photographers, especially, and writers, too--people who try to record reality and their reactions to it--especially have to deal with their emotions as they try to express what death means, in all the many ways it can confront us.

Here I want to quote the part of Sean's post where he tells us what happened yesterday (Friday).

Sean DeMerchant said:
Today, Friday, I was about to leave and go take some photos and after putting my gear in the car a neighborhood cat skulked by. I did my usual making kindly sounds at cats. Or perhaps I said kitty-kitty or something similar. Whatever noise I made, the intent was kindly. Shortly after I finished making noise and when the cat felt its position relative to me was safe to run for it, it ran about a bush and towards the road. I remember thinking it would be awful if it ran into traffic or something similar.
Almost like a premonition.
Sadly, that thought was prophetic as the cats crazy dash towards the road was followed by cars coming both ways and two thuds as it was struck by a car on the far side of the road (50 MPH speed limit). At this point I moved so I could see that cat and saw violent and powerful deformed movements that I have never witnessed before in a feline and the cat went still. The car that had hit the cat then callously drove on without checking to see if they could take the cat to a vet. The car behind the car that hit the cat then also drove on avoiding hitting the cat.
So traumatic.
At this point the cat had gone still and my thoughts were on what I could do for the cat. I do not know where the local vets office is and decided that getting the cat out of the road was the first step. Aware that approaching a wounded animal is unwise I went and found a handy floor rug so that I could safely approach and move the injured animal without being injured myself. I stopped the traffic coming both ways on the road with a raised flat hand as those directing traffic use and went to get the cat from where it lay. The first thing I noted was the pupils were fully 100% dilated on the cat which seemed very odd and moving at the same time. I then used the rug to gently get beneath and around the cat in case it reacted violently to any pain I induced and carried it unreacting out of the road where I laid it upon some freshly mown grass leaving behind a few small blood stains on the asphalt.
Very hard, very hard, and for me, reading about it, very poignant.
Its pose remained the same and the eyes unmoving and fully dilated without any pupilary color visible at all. And then I stared into those empty eyes for a while as I accepted it was dead and I could do nothing more for it. No rush to find a vet, not even a final kind and loving word for a beautiful stranger. In the end, the poor cat died alone in great pain in the middle of the road. The only thing I can say that is positive is that it only took me a minute to get to the cat to take it from the road and it was already passed on at that point. At this point, knowing I could do nothing for the cat I left it there and moved on to the living.
What else could you do? I would have done the same.
I then began canvassing the neighborhood ringing doorbells and talking to people to find its owners. Knowing that a domestic cats territory is about 3-5 acres (not many houses away out here in the country) I slowly worked around the block until I found what were likely to be the owners. At this point the man I met let me know that one of the individuals in the cars I had stopped to remove the cat from the road had told the mans wife who was at work what was witnessed and he had already collected the body from where I had left it. I heard denial in his words, but his eyes were red and the neighbor did/does have a similar cat. But he also told me the neighbors had not been there as long as the cat they have/live with. And the feline I saw die had only been around the neighborhood a short while (4-8 weeks). The man said the cats markings matched but without eye color he was unsure and since the cat rarely came home before dark it was too early to decide if it was him or not. I suspect this was denial and he noted he would not be updating his wife until she got home as she was having a hard enough time.

And that is the tale, but not my questions/observations. The pupilary responce with complete dilation surprised and fascinated* me. And what I suspect was the owner's denial based on being unable to see the eyes' colors.
Indeed. Very disturbing.
Now, I wish I had closed to poor beast's eyes so that its owner need not have seen such a soulless sight and not just a still and almost sleeping visage on its face.
It's okay, Sean. That last small act of compassion might not have made a great deal of difference. Whether the eyes are seen open or shut, one must accept the death.

If--since at this moment I am thinking of death as the common end of us all, humans and other species alike--I may put a personal reminiscence here, I'd like to:

I have seen only one body immediately after death, and that was the body of my husband, who died at home, by his own plan not to go into the hospital, a decision he had made when he learned that his liver failure was terminal. He had slipped into a deep sleep from the morphine that was controlling his pain, but evidently he opened his eyes just before dying. I had dozed off myself, and the nurse who was with us waked me.

The pupils of his eyes were dilated, as you describe with the cat. But I did not mind. He was still in appearance the same as in life and still warm. After making a phone call to his doctor, I sat beside him, holding his hand until the undertaker arrived, about an hour later. I think the nurse closed his eyes. Together we had cleaned him up and dressed him in fresh pajamas. Not hard to do, because I had been giving him this kind of intimate care for almost three weeks, at that point. I was so glad to see him at last out of pain.
Is this pupilary response to death normal? Is this why movies depict the closing of the dead's eyes as a standard response to a being's passing? Anyway, these questions are not meant to be morbid, but simple curiosity as I found the completely dilated eyes to be a visually powerful and bizarre thing to witness.
I didn't know the answer to this. So I did a search on Google to the string "pupils dilated at death" and from the website descriptions that returned, I would say yes.

I think Asher, as an M.D., would know.

One veterinary site looked as if it would address the question, but it was closed--for members only.
I never did take any photos although I did go out where I intended to go. But I am still feeling retrospective over what I had seen and I am off center and not feeling creative at the moment.
Your account is heart-rending, Sean.

I lost a beloved cat, Eat Now, to the consequences of a car's hitting him. He lived three weeks afterward, in the hospital. The vet came near to saving him--but he succumbed to blood poisoning. So much dirt had been ground into his broken jaw that antibiotics could not fight whatever strain of bacteria had entered his body.

It is still hard--and it's been about 36 years now. Tears are standing in my eyes, remembering.

My husband loved Eat Now very much, too.

Mary

Thank you Mary. <whimsical but dark tired smile> I appreciate it.

The visual issue that strikes me as the eyes and it left me in a quandry about my sense of photographic vision and I felt lost. Tonight I talked with a contractor (construction) about the creative process and goals of quality and found my path back to creativity rather than introspection. The answer was not to look at what was before me, but to step back, accept that I do not understand and move forward. The experience has left with new questions and that is always a good thing for expanding ones vision. But being stuck on a moment is not.

all the best,

Sean