• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Alternative mounting of our displays

Doug Kerr

The display units

Carla and I each have on our main workstation computers ViewSonic VX2035wm "20-inch) display units. They are very nice, although of course they do not exhibit the scrupulous color rendition that would be desirable were we doing high-quality photo editing.

These displays have a very nice "stand" with a large foot, making them very stable on the desk.

The stand places the bottom of the display case proper about 4 inches above the desk surface (the bottom of the screen about 6.5 inches above the desk surface).

Our eyeglasses

Carla and I wear bifocal eyeglasses, myself for several years, Carla just recently.

Our eyeglasses are designed for the near vision segment to optimize our near vision at about 22 inches, the "design" distance from our eyes to the display screen. The near vision segments are almost half the height of the lens, so as to provide an adequate vertical field of view through the near vision segment to cover essentially all the display screen.

As you can imagine, both these specifications have been the subject of character-building discussions with ophthalmological technicians, ophthalmologists, and fitters at dispensing opticians, all of who say, "Well, we ordinarily . . .".

Elevation of the display screen

As Carla came you use her new bifocals, she commented that she needed to tip her head back to place the screen with the field of view of the near vision segments of her bifocals, and this caused her discomfort in her neck.

It was clear that the screen needed to be lower.

To make a test, I removed the stand (easily done) and just set the display unit on her desk surface. The bottom of the case is about 2.5 inches deep and perpendicular to the screen itself, so the unit stood happily (if without any abundance of tolerance against tipping).

We found that this worked very well for Carla.

As I contemplated this, I realized than indeed I would be more comfortable if my screen were lower, too. Of course, the matter was not so critical in my case, as my eyes are higher as I sit in my chair (which is in fact set higher than Carla's).

An alternative mounting

I noted that the display units have VESA 75 hole patterns on their rear (so they could, for example, be mounted on swing-arm supports).

I wondered if there were any hind of stand that would sit on the desk and mount the display unit in such a way that it could be placed such that its bottom was only a small distance above the desk surface.

After a brief search, I found what seems to be an ideal item for the purpose. You can see it here:

http://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Single-M...psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Here is the unit itself, with the mount fairly high up on the mast:

619FNo7ZMPL._SX425_.jpg

It looks like this in use (of course we would run the mount as far down the mast as possible, so hopefully the bottom of the display case would just about rest on the thin V-shaped foot):

61D13EyJ2vL._SX425_.jpg

I ordered two, which should be here tomorrow (2016.04.01).

I'll bring you up-to-date after they arrive.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Where are the art nude pictures, Doug? Are they to follow?

Well, in neither of those pictures did the subject have any clothes on.

Still, I'll see what I can do more in keeping with the usual motif here.

Actually, I would have posted that message someplace else, if there was any place appropriate. You know, maybe "Computer displays".

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
There's always the possibility you could carry out the erection ( of the stand ) naked.
Don't send pictures - please!

You have struck on a serious problem and a great solution, Doug, as I would expect you would.
Unfortunately not all computer users or ophthalmologists/etc are around this issue.

While working in schools as an advisor to educators of students with vision impairments there was a one kit fits all approach. Working with OT's, solutions were hand crafted for each student. Factors such as chair height, desk height, screen distance and elevation, screen width, back lighting, screen type and accessibility to keyboard and mouse needed to be evaluated for each student. That also meant individual computers allocated to specific students in different rooms as the children moved from class to class; not a condition schools and teachers saw as necessary.

I personally use a 28" HR monitor. The bottom edge of the screen sits on the desk and I have the screen 30cm from my face. That's not a comfortable place for Christine but she has better vision out of one eye than info out of 2 and she doesn't have osteoarthritis in her neck to restrict her movement.
She prefers her laptop.

I made my own mount for the screen.

Best of luck with the new components.

Please send pictures (not of your naked body)

Doug Kerr

The new display mounts arrived timely and are very nice - very robust, in fact.

Here we see one in place on the display on Carla's workstation, "Desertbear":

Q03353-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: New mount on the display at Desertbear

Carla sends her apologies for what she describes as "the mess". Of course I could have moved those papers out of the frame, but I didn't.

Note that the mast extends, in this application, considerably above the display. Even five years ago, I would today have been in the shop cutting down the mast. But not today. Carla thinks that she might have one of her friends who knits make "mast cozies" for them.

Here we see the installation on my workstation, "Mountainbear". My apologies for what is a fully-qualified "mess". A least I pulled all the Post-It notes off the display (but see below).

Q03352-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: New mount on the display at Mountainbear - 1

My apologies for what is a fully-qualified "mess". A least I pulled all the Post-It notes off the display (but see below). I had dismounted the small video camera to make more clear the situation with the excess mast height.

Here, we see it in three-quarter view:

Q03354-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: New mount on the display at Mountainbear - 2

As you can see, I took this after I had put the Post-it Notes back (they hold such things as the Unicode codes for some special characters, the PIN for when I call in my blood coagulation time test results, and so forth), and didn't bother to take them off again.

The odd window on the screen is from Acronis True Image WD edition, which was cloning my operating disk onto its "replacement" disk, which Acronis does with the computer in "native machine mode", no operating system (above the BIOS) being involved.

We are very pleased with the new mounting situation.

On the Amazon page for the mount, in the comments section, there was a complaint about it being too hard to work the little tools (they were Allen keys), and that the head of the bolt that held the mast to the footplate protruded so the while rig rested on it.

Of course, the design may have changed since then, but on mine that was a nice fat flat head machine screw, whose head nicely nestled into a "stamped countersink" on the foot plate. It may even be that the commenter was assembling the foot plate upside down.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

I've been chided by using this forum section for a topic that, in the usual sense, does not include any "nude figures".

I did that because there is not any section actually devoted to my topic.​

I had hoped to make up for that gaffe by presenting a photograph of Drew Barrymore nude, but none of the ones I had seemed quite right.

But here is a shot of Drew Barrymore wearing clothes:

Drew_Barrymore-002.jpg
Copyright unknown
Presented here under the doctrine of fair use
My understanding is that this image is in fact a composite. I have not yet done the requisite anatomical forensic work to ascertain if that is in fact so. Perhaps later today.

Just now I have to score a song Carla wrote for a play in which she is appearing.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I've been chided by using this forum section for a topic that, in the usual sense, does not include any "nude figures".

I did that because there is not any section actually devoted to my topic.​

I had hoped to make up for that gaffe by presenting a photograph of Drew Barrymore nude, but none of the ones I had seemed quite right.

But here is a shot of Drew Barrymore wearing clothes:

Drew_Barrymore-002.jpg
Copyright unknown
Presented here under the doctrine of fair use
My understanding is that this image is in fact a composite. I have not yet done the requisite anatomical forensic work to ascertain if that is in fact so. Perhaps later today.

Just now I have to score a song Carla wrote for a play in which she is appearing.

Best regards,

Doug

Highly commendable composition, even if it a composite. It's tasteful and ample to be considered worthy of attention! She is actually a very fine person although I do not know whether either the over ample anatomy or the exposure matches her life style.

Still, I am so relieved that you are, at last, obeying the rules of the house. If Drew has no where to go, I have a spare room. Just need to check with my good wife.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
BTW, my solution to the viewing angle is to have a pair of glasses set with the far distance to be set for the computer monitor and the near distance for reading the keyboard or a manuscript. That way, I do not have to alter the screen. It would also be just perfect for looking at your great model, if she ever has the occasion to come to my humble abode! note that I would not have to strain my neck, not one bit!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

BTW, my solution to the viewing angle is to have a pair of glasses set with the far distance to be set for the computer monitor and the near distance for reading the keyboard or a manuscript.

That can be a very useful approach. It of course requires one to switch glasses when leaving the computer station, not a debilitating consideration but somewhat of a problem for old guys like me that tend to forget to do necessary things!

That way, I do not have to alter the screen. It would also be just perfect for looking at your great model, if she ever has the occasion to come to my humble abode! note that I would not have to strain my neck, not one bit!

It would be good to not have to strain anything on the occasion of such a visit.

Thanks for your observations.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Highly commendable composition, even if it a composite. It's tasteful and ample to be considered worthy of attention!

Well, we strive to present quality material here.

She is actually a very fine person although I do not know whether either the over ample anatomy or the exposure matches her life style.

There's no telling.

Still, I am so relieved that you are, at last, obeying the rules of the house.

Well we try to do that whenever it is practical..

If Drew has no where to go, I have a spare room. Just need to check with my good wife.

Sadly, our spare room is down on the highway, with a sign in front with a big "8" on it.

Best regards,

Doug