• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Awaiting a Proper Suitor

Chris Calohan

47366586462_161ac244ca_h_d.jpg

Chris Calohan

Nothing in the edit box that allows me to delete the photo and resize....not sure this new format works correctly.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chris,

You want a “delete” button? Can you select so it has a grey square with dots on corners.

I think below that, there will be a waste basket.

Can you check that?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Chris,

An exceptional wildlife picture that gets stamped into one’s memory! This is so flamboyant and attractive. If I was younger, maybe I would be “in line” too! ??

But I wouldn’t be at all certain of the gender. What the hell! Beautiful anyway.

I so appreciate you sharing this delight, Chris! It’s so stimulating as it enriches my library of possible natural motifs to inform my own choices in art.

This one picture will further feed my designs of tubes in sculpture, to try to to get “beyond fabulous”. Nature does this so perfectly. I have already gotten a handle on the curves from young women, but here, your capture of spread out of Long thin feathers, adds a major balance to the curves.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Chris,

Is the plumage specific for mate attraction and then it is shed?

If the bird male or female?

I would think the female might call and the males strut by, but I have no idea!

Asher

Chris Calohan

The feathers are year round ones but these are special when it comes to attracting a mate...one might think this is the female but not so. The male starts the nest, puffs out those feathers until a female comes his way, then she builds the nest and he gathers wood. This is a commonality among Great Egrets (this is a Great Egret), Blue Herons and Snowy Egrets and I believe most of the wader birds.

Asher Kelman

As a work of art, exceptional!

How large will it print so it can be admired at 10” and feathers are still outstanding?

What camera-lens setup was used?

This is where I would want to test out the Topaz AI app for keeping everything stunningly perfect!

But also, this could work as magic even printed as a 1 cm button!

Kudos to the nth!

Asher

Chris Calohan

Easily 40x40. I use NIK and have found it to be as good if not better than Topaz. Admittedly, it has been awhile since I tried Topaz so perhaps they have new tricks I've yet to see. This was shot with the Nikon D850, 200-500 at 450mm, f/8 with manual focus override to separate the Egret from the branches and leaves.

Jerome Marot

Chris,

Is the plumage specific for mate attraction and then it is shed?

If the bird male or female?

I would think the female might call and the males strut by, but I have no idea!

Asher

The following article sheds light on the subject: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-are-male-birds-more-c/

Why are male birds more colorful than female birds?
Robert Heinsohn, professor of evolutionary biology at the Australian National University, explains.
Males are more colorful or ornamented than females in most, but not all, bird species. Understanding this phenomenon requires a basic grasp of the evolutionary forces that shape the behavior and morphology of individuals and species. (...)

Asher Kelman

The new Topaz for enlargement is apparently a MAJOR advance as it will know the exact micro structure of thousands of similar feathers and rebuild detail as the image is enlarged. It knows elephant skin and fruit flies wings too!

Asher