• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Eigergletcher

I would like to contribute to the recent flurry of photos from Switzerland. Here is a scene depicting the Eigergletcher. The mass of the mountain and ice is something to behold in the early morning light. I might have to return to try for a better shot, as it is never possible (for me) to capture the essence of thes scenes with a camera.

1328IMG_7971-04-med.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is an excellent picture. That, Nathaniel we start with.

I do question the blue sky. Of course it is blue since that is the color of sky, but is it really contributing to the picture?

Let me argue that it might not. Yes that's pretty outragious. After all the scene is beautiful and the blue sky is so remarkable.

Now look at the remainder of the photograph. There is no other blue. Moreover, the remaining picture is defined by shape and shading in black and white. In the sky, the clouds too are interesting because of the shading.

So a simple test, just convert to B&W and look at your picture. One can use the simplest conversion and see that the picture holds together better a B&W, at least to my eye.

Anyway, it's enjoyable to have this view of Alpine beauty! I hope others will follow!

Asher

Last edited:

Michael Fontana

pro member
Looks good!
It's not alwith easy to catch up with the big contrast of the ice and the dark rocks.

A way to avoid sky would be to get up at the other side of the valley, and using a tele;
here's one I did for a book, a few years ago. It's not the glacier from Eiger but from Piz Palü, in the southern alps.

Palue.jpg