• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Evaluating fair prices for used high end gear

I wonder how one would put a fair price on used high end gear. I am not using ebay, and do not intend to start this. Is there any other way to evaluate prices on used photographic and printing gear?

How do you do it?

Alain Briot

pro member
Georg,

Basically, the price is what people are willing to pay. Usually there's a significant drop in perceived value, proportional to how 'old' the equipment is. I can't help but think of the 9600 for sale for $300 in the used equipment section of the site. It was originally $5000 or so....

This is somewhat unrelated, but since we're in the pro business section, it's worth mentioning the importance of recouping your investment in equipment ASAP when it come to digital photography. Gear becomes outdated rapidly, and if you don't recoup and make a profit, you eventually lose money. It wasnt' the case with film gear. Cameras could be used 'forever' back then. This is one of the major changes in the photography business brought by digital photography.

It doesn't apply to all equipment. I bought a computerized mat cutter in 1999, and I still use it to this day. It's operated by a computer running windows 98. But then a mat is a mat. There hasn't been any changes, just updates to newer operating systems. I couldn't do more with it if I ran the latest OS.

So it's not accross the board, and it also depends on your exact involvement in the industry. In advertising, some clients may request the use of specicic cameras or equipment for example. In fine art, it's largely left to the photographer, which gives us a lot more freedom. When the purpose is expressive rather than documentary, which camera is used is less important than what is said. The message, in other words, comes first.

And of course, if you listen to the manufacturers, you must update immediately and constantly. But then, that's how they make their living so it is no surprise that they hold this position. It just gets to be funny when we are told we need ever more resolution. What most of us need is a more well-defined vision for our work, but that doesn't sell as well because it's a lot more elusive to measure.

Last edited:
I use the "Completed Auctions" section of eBay to see what similar equipment has been actually selling for. Comparison with used equipment dealers like KEH and B&H provides a couple more data points. But in the end it's up to you to decide how much to ask.

Alain Briot

pro member
My advice: keep it don't sell it. Looking at your work you are fine on the equipment front. There's more important battles that need to be fought on the other fronts.

I use the "Completed Auctions" section of eBay to see what similar equipment has been actually selling for. Comparison with used equipment dealers like KEH and B&H provides a couple more data points. But in the end it's up to you to decide how much to ask.

Good idea, thanks Charles, I never thought about B&H to use as a reference point, excellent.

Georg,

Basically, the price is what people are willing to pay. Usually there's a significant drop in perceived value, proportional to how 'old' the equipment is. I can't help but think of the 9600 for sale for $300 in the used equipment section of the site. It was originally $5000 or so....

Well, I saw this and do not consider it a guideline, but a rather unusual sale.

This is somewhat unrelated, but since we're in the pro business section, it's worth mentioning the importance of recouping your investment in equipment ASAP when it come to digital photography. Gear becomes outdated rapidly, and if you don't recoup and make a profit, you eventually lose money. It wasnt' the case with film gear. Cameras could be used 'forever' back then. This is one of the major changes in the photography business brought by digital photography.

VERY true! Your Linhoff is a good example, compared to a P45 and IQ80 today. Of course, there are gearslutz as well who help the industry ad will sell their grandmother to have the latest gear, I am not one of them.

In the DSLR section, well, for me it was a decision towards lenses in the first place, hence I went with the rather unusual choice of a Sony Alpha900 and bought into Zeiss, have not regretted it a single day.

It doesn't apply to all equipment. I bought a computerized mat cutter in 1999, and I still use it to this day. It's operated by a computer running windows 98. But then a mat is a mat. There hasn't been any changes, just updates to newer operating systems. I couldn't do more with it if I ran the latest OS.

So it's not accross the board, and it also depends on your exact involvement in the industry. In advertising, some clients may request the use of specicic cameras or equipment for example. In fine art, it's largely left to the photographer, which gives us a lot more freedom. When the purpose is expressive rather than documentary, which camera is used is less important than what is said. The message, in other words, comes first.

And of course, if you listen to the manufacturers, you must update immediately and constantly. But then, that's how they make their living so it is no surprise that they hold this position. It just gets to be funny when we are told we need ever more resolution. What most of us need is a more well-defined vision for our work, but that doesn't sell as well because it's a lot more elusive to measure.

I am with you on the resolution front, having said that, if IQ increases as well, and that is defined by more than resolution only, it is a different game.

Thanks for your in depth reply, I was only puzzled as to how to evaluate prices on gear in general. I guess, there is no way around but to have a closer look to ebay as well and if it is just to observe some auctions to see what prizes are going.

My advice: keep it don't sell it. Looking at your work you are fine on the equipment front. There's more important battles that need to be fought on the other fronts.

Oh well, yes, there are many fronts to fight on. That is true!

I have also some smaller stuff, like my Canon G10 that I want to sell as well. For bigger stuff I have not made up my mind yet.