• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Farewell!

StuartRae

I would like to say a fond "farewell" to all the good people I've met on these forums. I've been falling over quite a lot recently, culminating in 4 days stuck in the bathtub. Whle iin hospital I had an MRI san, which revealed a brain tumour. A subseueent CT scan confirmed the diagnosis, and I was told by the experts at the Bristol Royal Infirmary that it was inoperable and untreatable., so I'm now at home to spend my last weeks surrounded by goood food and drink.

Best wishes to you all,
Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Stuart,

I am stunned, but appreciate so much you reaching out to us to say farewell!

It is such a tragic news to entertain and a sudden change I outlook for which one is not asked permission.

Who of your family is reachable?

I want to thank you so much for all the love you have shown by your particulipation here over the years.

You will always be with us as your pictures each are still alive and have a presence and air iin their nostrils and give us pleasure.

Asher

Jerome Marot

Doctors being humans sometimes make errors, here on the "untreatable" part. Still: good food and good drinks should always be amongst the options for treatment. Enjoy them!

Asher Kelman

Doctors being humans sometimes make errors, here on the "untreatable" part. Still: good food and good drinks should always be amongst the options for treatment. Enjoy them!

Bristol Royal infirmary is very well regarded, but your caution Jerome is even more prescient and worth attention in this circumstance. When a Dr. says “brain tumor” he may mean metastatic cancer from another organ, (and too advanced) or else a primary brain tumor. Each has so many variables that a second opinion is always worthwhile!

I can recommend, in London, Stuart, The Royal Marsden Hospital is a first-class Tertiary Cancer Center with far more capabilities than most other centers in Europe and if appropriate and feasible, a second opinion there would ease my mind.

My sister had “fatal” metastatic colon cancer treated at The Royal Marsden some 30 years ago, (amazingly by their kind generous cooperation and professional respect), under my direction and then retreated twice there when it recurred and utterly cured for the last 18 years!

All cases are totally different and it could be that you already have the very wisest advice from Bristol but still, with a brain expressing such humanity and bonding as yours, the extra effort seems worthwhile!

Asher

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

Dear Stuart,

I've heard this terrible news from Asher, I'm so, so sorry. Like Jerome says, I truly hope that the reality will be better than the doctor's current outlook. Just hang in there. I'll drink to your health and hopefully we'll meet someday. I'm working on a project in London nowadays, give me a shout if you're ever in the neighbourhood please. Here's thinking of you.

Your friend,
Cem

Doug Kerr

Hi, Stuart,

I would like to say a fond "farewell" to all the good people I've met on these forums. I've been falling over quite a lot recently, culminating in 4 days stuck in the bathtub. Whle iin hospital I had an MRI san, which revealed a brain tumour. A subseueent CT scan confirmed the diagnosis, and I was told by the experts at the Bristol Royal Infirmary that it was inoperable and untreatable., so I'm now at home to spend my last weeks surrounded by goood food and drink.

So sorry you're not so well.

Thanks so much for your many wonderful images, and the good insights you provided with them.

Sail on smoothly, my friend, however far.

Fondest regards,

Doug

Michael Nagel

Hi Stuart,

hoping for an error on the untreatable part I wish you the best possible time, however long it may be.
Yes for the food and drinks - enjoy every bit of it.

Best wishes
Michael

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Stuart,
You joined OPF on July 6th, 2006!
What a long journey we had all together…
I know you'll stay present with us, in very good place in our memories too…

Sails up and fair winds is my wish, travel well as an old friend although we never met "in real"

Last edited:
Hi Stuart,

What shocking news. As Jerome says, always seek a second opinion but also, if nothing really can be done, enjoy with whatever makes you happy. I shall lift a glass to you, for your beautiful photography and for your kindness.

with love,
Maggie

Peter Dexter

I haven't been on here very long but I shall be looking at and enjoying the images you have posted here.I hope you will be comfortable. That is most important.

Jerome Marot

culminating in 4 days stuck in the bathtub.

Sometimes I am a bit slow in noticing essential things. I experienced a difficult situation recently myself, nothing really serious, but I was thankful that someone was present to help me. Without immediate help, I would have been stuck, possibly for days. Maybe you should consider changing whatever needs to be changed so as to get help when you really need it.

Asher Kelman

Sometimes I am a bit slow in noticing essential things. I experienced a difficult situation recently myself, nothing really serious, but I was thankful that someone was present to help me. Without immediate help, I would have been stuck, possibly for days. Maybe you should consider changing whatever needs to be changed so as to get help when you really need it.

We put more thought into choice of camera and lenses than our own health monitoring! Every so often one has to get a full diagnostic check up and bully the care providers totest even for what they think
is unnecessary!

Everyone needs regular colonoscopy chest X-ray, EKG and CT angiogram, ultrasound of arteries in abdomen and neck when over 50 years. Women need PAP smears, mammography, breast exam and ovarian antigen screening.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

We put more thought into choice of camera and lenses than our own health monitoring! Every so often one has to get a full diagnostic check up and bully the care providers totest even for what they think
is unnecessary!

Everyone needs regular colonoscopy chest X-ray, EKG and CT angiogram, ultrasound of arteries in abdomen and neck when over 50 years. Women need PAP smears, mammography, breast exam and ovarian antigen screening.

Somehow I think Jerome is speaking of something like getting stuck in a bathtub when there's nobody around, and the need to have some kind of emergency signaling provision for such situations. Having had a timely ultrasound doesn't do it.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Somehow I think Jerome is speaking of something like getting stuck in a bathtub when there's nobody around, and the need to have some kind of emergency signaling provision for such situations. Having had a timely ultrasound doesn't do it.

Best regards,

Doug

I recognized what he was concerned about, just wish to preempt such emergencies by getting more upfront knowledge about our bodies!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Stuart,

Just to give a pathway for anyone hit with a glioblastoma brain tumor who might follow this thread, there’s a promising treatment with a modified polio virus “core” that is really worth considering, here, which I could investigate for you to access in London or even in the Bristol Royal Infirmary.

Cancer treatment is my profession. I am a Radiation Oncologist. While I do not wish to offer false hope, I always believe in getting an opinion from a center like The Royal Marsden in London or one of the major University Medical Schools on Oxford, Cambridge or London.

In the meanwhile, I do like to think of you enjoying good food and company!

Our thoughts, love and prayers are with you 24/7!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Cancer treatment is my profession. I am a Radiation Oncologist.

It does not look as if Stuart planned to visit this thread again. If, in your professional capacities, you believe that there is some information that could be of use, I would suggest you contact Stuart directly.

Asher Kelman

It does not look as if Stuart planned to visit this thread again. If, in your professional capacities, you believe that there is some information that could be of use, I would suggest you contact Stuart directly.

You are correct. I did contact him at the outset and gave him my telephone number. Yes, I have sent updates too!

Some decisions we all make are based on long-term closely-held beliefs and attitudes to the level that control our reflex decisions to life’s myriads of choices. These are akin to immutable characteristics of lions and their prey, “That’s what they do!”, after all!

Sadly, I must admit, “Farewell”, does not, (at this time), appear to be a start to a new conversation, rather it's a last reluctant wave of our friend’s hand, an expression of deep love, as the boat leaves the dock......

Asher

fahim mohammed

Stuart.

It is with great sadness that Ayesha and I received the news of your medical condition.

Our family offers you and yours our prayers. For strength, patience and faith.

May the Good Lord protect and bless you and your loved ones always, and specially during this trying time.

With our heartfelt prayers.

Ayesha, Fahim and family.

Charlotte Thompson

Fahim

I have known you for such a long time! I have respected your work forever. I do love you my dear friend. Please! Come back! You will be in my prayers and thoughts.

Charlotte-

When I first encountered this I really couldn't Remember anything about Stuart. (I haven't spent a lot of time here and the time I do spend here is just looking at new images). After giving this a lot of thought dug around to see If we had ever interacted.

It turns out that Stuart triggered my first post...a response to a couple of marvelous rusty-chain and rusty-anchor images that he posted on July 1, 1911.

Stuart, if you do drop by here again, I wish you all my best.