• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Getting back out on the streets with my little E-M10 and kit lenses

Robert Watcher

After a time out of photography for a month, I figured that I’d drop my camera in my backpack as Anne and I checked out a section of the city we hadn’t been to before —— and if I came across anything visually interesting - grab it. The camera got pulled out three times

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Beautiful!

How much difference in size and weight with the top of the line Olympus setup for the same function?

Asher

Robert Watcher

Beautiful!

How much difference in size and weight with the top of the line Olympus setup for the same function?

Asher

This is what a Google search turned up for size and weight of the E-M10 that I use on a daily basis - as well as the pro level E-M1 that I have with me. First includes weight of the 14-42mm kit lens I use - the second E-M1 weight spec is just the body - last 2 pics are 14-42mm (28-84mm equiv) and 40-150mm (80-300mm equiv) lenses I carry with me.

The size and weight difference of the bodies is enough to make a difference to me while walking around. Equivalent pro lenses would bump up the size and weight substanitally. But I don’t use them.

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Robert,

After a time out of photography for a month, I figured that I’d drop my camera in my backpack as Anne and I checked out a section of the city we hadn’t been to before —— and if I came across anything visually interesting - grab it. The camera got pulled out three times

All very nice, each in a different way.

In a way, this is my favorite:

I am surprised by the fact that the one of the original images I retained shows up as a "click to view attachment" item. I need to look into that further.

Best regards,

Doug

[Note, I copied your image, pasted it back without the [“quote”] code and used the format position option below the grey border appearing when I clicked on your pasted image! Asher]

Jerome Marot

So you are using:
E-M10: 402g
14-42 f/3.5-5.6: 113g
40-150 f/4-5.6: 190g
total: 705g

In APS-C, I sometimes use:
Nex-7: 353g
16-50 f/3.5-5.6: 116g
55-200 f/4.5-6.3: 345g
Total: 814g

Your equipment is a bit lighter, but not by much. Of course, your sensor is a bit smaller but not by much. I don't think it makes much difference overall.

Of course, in µ4/3, there was the Panasonic GM1, 274g with battery and kit lens. That is tiny and light.

Antonio Correia

Don't you think guys, that better lenses are heavier than the others ? I think so... don't you ?
Of course, if we circumscribe/limit our photography to publish in Facebook, perhaps a phone is good enough.
These days, there are great small cameras which also can be used as phones. And they can even post directly to the web ! Amazing...
The number of cameras sold across the World this year is going to drop, so they say... Olympus is in financial troubles while Panasonic is not. Perhaps they merge some day...
-
Robert, isn't it a bit dangerous to travel in these countries of Latin America ? Do you feel safe, all the time ?

Asher Kelman

Robert,

Antonio wondered about safety, “Robert, isn't it a bit dangerous to travel in these countries of Latin America ? Do you feel safe, all the time?”

It’s interesting that you have never given any sense of fear. But there you are, going in a lot of narrow streets sometimes and even crowded markets with valuable photographic gear suggesting you might be easypickings!

Or, is it that you’ve simply got street smarts, (avoiding derelict/gang areas), as if you worked for a major news bureau?

Asher

Asher Kelman

What then is the best pro-level very compact camera, Robert, Jerome and Antonio?m and anyone else?

Asher

Robert Watcher

Robert, isn't it a bit dangerous to travel in these countries of Latin America ? Do you feel safe, all the time ?

Yes I feel safe all the time. Do I recognize the potential dangers? Of course I do. I don’t head down to night clubs or wander dark streets in the middle of the night. I don’t advertise my gear by having a big camera and lens on a strap around my neck - sitting on my belly. I’m not going to be curious if there is some gang or police action going on in the streets, and feel I need to capture it. If I’m heading into what is considered a more likely area to be robbed like a market or major city, I take less equipment of lesser value and am willing to take that loss if it happens. I have a small amount of money that I am willing to turn over to a mugger (have never had anyone take me up on it).

All I can say is that I have been shooting in these supposedly dangerous environments on an almost daily basis, since January 2008 when Anne & I started this lifestyle. We have been in major cities and headed out on buses to remote areas, all over the countries of Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador as well as parts of Honduras and Mexico. We live with the locals (not in protected gated communities) - and travel with the locals in theirs buses, pickup trucks, tuctucs and walking.

Right from the start we created a plan of action for traveling, that would make us less vulnerable to any losses of money or gear. It has held up and been a protection for us. We have never once been threatened or had anything stolen. I think we are both very Street smart and aware of what is going on around us. The biggest danger to my equipment are extreme heat, dust, sand, salt, water and the few times I’ve tripped and fallen and smashed my gear into the streets ?

WHERE I WOULD BE A LOT NERVOUS? Wandering around streets or areas I didn’t know, in major cities in the USA and even Canada.

————-

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

What then is the best pro-level very compact camera, Robert, Jerome and Antonio?m and anyone else?

Asher

That’s not an interest of mine. Camera specs are non-issues. I have what I am comfortable with (all old models and often used).

The Olympus brand that I prefer using is a choice that I made back in the mid 1980’s for 35mm film (my studio camera was the unbelievable Mamyia RZ67 with electronic prism finder and a selection of lenses). I preferred their innovation, maverick spirit and determination to provide photographers with small high quality camera bodies if that is their choice, and still do. I also feel they have some of the best lenses (including even their kit lenses).

Any other brand or models of camera or lens will do the job just as well. I just don’t care about them and am never drooling over “the best gear”.

——-

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

I was only asking for a secondary lightweight compact system, as my Ricoh GR II is dead and I’m amazed by what folk have captured with the zoom lenses.....a snake I believe you once got!

A light system complementing my, (essentially studio size), Fuji GFX is something I am toying with.

Asher

Jerome Marot

Don't you think guys, that better lenses are heavier than the others ? I think so... don't you ?

It is a bit more complex than that. For example, in 35mm land, the simple 50mm f/1.8 lens is usually one of the best, lightest and cheapest. OTOH, fast lenses generally need larger lenses than slower lenses and therefore need lots of glass, which makes them heavy and expensive.

Jerome Marot

It really depend on what you are looking for. I am partial to the Sony RX100 (versions III to V), because it is small, has a viewfinder and a small zoom. Your Ricoh had none of these. It is more similar to a Sony RX1, Sigma Merrill/Quattro, Fuji X100 or another Ricoh of course. You could also get a Sony A5100 or Panasonic GM1 and leave a fixed focal lens on it. All these cameras work perfectly and their images are indistinguishable from the output of a SLR, given enough light and reasonably static subjects.