• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Greatings from Bolivia !

Hi, I am in Bolivia -- for the ones that are just tuned in, I will be based here for 3-4 years for personal family reasons -- in La Paz.

Things are going really well, the country is spectacular and local photographers are very open, so much so that I already belong to a camera club and was invited last Friday to a formal diner where we looked at images until past one in the morning. The club has a few professional and some dentist/lawyers but at a very high level.

One of the prominent commercial photographers -- he is part of this camera club -- happened to attend in 1985 a UNESCO 3-month workshop in Budapest, Hungary. The incredible coincidence of life is that I attended that workshop representing Nicaragua and we had been big buddies.

I got to La Paz a Saturday and someone from my wifes office (UN) that is a retired local photographer himself called one of the important documentary photographers who said we could meet at a cafe that same afternoon (Monday) -- difficult to do in New York -- talking with him I mentioned my Mamiya-P25 and he said that dough most everyone is working digitally -- there is no film to be found -- there was no digital back in the country and that his friend Jaime Cisneros was researching to get one, and that he was going to call him. Indeed, Jaime came soon and we where talking for 4 minutes until he said that "I met someone from Nicaragua named Leonardo once..." and I said: I am he !

The point of this post, other than say hi to Asher, Will, Nicolas and all my OPF friends, is that small markets may be interesting for photographers in terms of business opportunities and generally to have fun.

I was getting a bit bored in New York documenting art work for West Chelsea galleries.

The other aspect of Bolivia that I want to talk about --if there is interest-- is nature and photography. For what I saw in the work of photographers of the club, the landscape here is full of possibilities. It is a large country -- I think that bigger than France --.

I have no experience what so ever in organizing field workshops, but It could be interesting if other OPF members want to explore the possibility with me based on the destination...

Anyway, greetings to everyone

Cem_Usakligil

Excellent news

Hi Leonardo,

It is great to hear from you again, especially when the news are so good :).
Sounds like you are going to have a great time over there and make the most of it. If you grab your opportunities, which I am sure you will, you'll be very busy and successful in the coming years.

A workshop idea is a great one. I just came back from a big USA tour so it will be no earlier than next year or so for me, but I am certainly interested.

Keep us updated pls, also with pictures ;-)

Cheers,

Thanks Cem_

It is a long process since it took a week to make a celular contract -- the good thing is that here there are geniae, or geniuses in every corner and one of them un-blocked my Cingular TREO to work with the local company -- but I managed to bring as luggage -- most my things are coming via container -- a SINAR !, two 400Wz Elinchrom the Mamiya-Phase1 + 4 lenses, MF carbon tripod and other stuff... (including the Speed Graphic that Will gave me)

What I miss the most is the MacPro Quad since my portable is a PowerBook G4 ...

All of that to say that there will be images but maybe after a few days... (I have to download my website to the portable to be able to place images so that I can direct them here ... by the way, wen will we be able to upload directly like in LL forum?? Asher told me that he was working on it...)

All of that to say that there will be images but maybe after a few days...

Hi Leonardo,

Take your time, but not too long ;-) We're looking forward to what new inspiration, associated with such a move to a different country/culture, will do for you. Let's hope that the container with the rest of your household gets delivered safely.

Good luck,
Bart

Hi Leonardo,

Good to hear you arrived safe and received a warm welcome!

I look forward to see some shots from the Andes and may be some cultural aspects. The colorful people of Bolivia do have a rich native american culture I think.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Leonardo
Glad you arrived there and look so happy, I can undrstand that! I love to discover new countries and people…
I second all other replies here and await some new news…

In your list you mentionned Sinar… hmmmm that word always catch my curiosity… can you say more?

Nicolas,
thank you for the good wishes, soon I will have a car and a house that we are renting from a local painter. She has a studio with plenty of natural light. As you can imagine that is a dream come true for someone coming from Manhattan. What happened with the Sinar is that the movers left it in New York so I had to put it in my suitcase. I got from a Hong Kong distributor an adapter to use my Mamiya attached to the Sinar, --or the Sinar attached...-- so I wanted to have it to do more tests with it. This particular Sinar is the Alpina model that uses an aluminum rail as opposed to the customary tube. I have also cut this rail in smaller peaces so it is as compact as a full movements 4x5 Sinar can be (bigger than an Arca) I also manage to put in my suitcase two Elinchrom 400Ws compacts and I plugged them to the local 220v local current without problems (why swiss products are so good?)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Leonardo
thanks for the clarification.

an adapter to use my Mamiya attached to the Sinar, --or the Sinar attached...-
any snap of that combo to look at? seems a quite interesing beast!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Leonardo,

This is so exciting! How high up are you above sea level? Do you have some images of the area and the house? I'm so happy for you. What's the place you are at acalled. I want to llok it up on a map!

Asher

Asher, this place where I am posting is 10,826 feet over sea level, but when you come -- I know you will -- the airplane lands at 13,238 feet ! when the pilot opens the door of the pressurized cabin you feel the debilitating impact of the rarified oxygen, but after a while things are back to normal, specially after having a coca tea.

I have to find a way to post images since I have problems with my website, I think that what I can do is to upload to some other space, do you have a favorite free space ?

On the meantime, just so that you can see the potential I am going to post the link to this interesting Bolivian photographer-artist that has produced images in the largest salt lake known on our planet ...(I think)
I want to find out how he does the images since they look very well produced....

to be continued...

http://www.gastonugalde.com/gaston/pages/esp/imagenes.php

Leonardo,

This is so exciting! How high up are you above sea level? Do you have some images of the area and the house? I'm so happy for you. What's the place you are at acalled. I want to llok it up on a map!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Leonardo,

This salt lake is where?

21.jpg

Source and credit: http://www.gastonugalde.com/gaston/p...p/imagenes.php

So, Lives and works in La Paz – Bolivia.

biografia-gaston.jpg

So what's that camera he uses?

Re free space, there are a number of free sites. Will check tomorrow!

Asher

ASHER Yes, this is the Salar Uyuni, it is huge salt plain in Potosi Bolivia. We should make a workshop in there ... it is very high (more than 13k feet)....

Asher, I am working every day for the project of stock, but, since I'm new in it there is some learning curve that applies. I have read about Licensed, Managed Rights, Royalty Free and similar aspects. As you know there is change in the market from "traditional" to micro stock --with armies of defenders and resisters--. At the end, so far, I found out that there are valid advantages in all forms of licensing...

Regarding host, there is also much to research about it, but I am starting with ALAMY since they have a very transparent and easy to follow submission system.

They have a QC system (quality control) where they only check for technical specifications like file size, focus, etc. I have sent two batches of images and they have found some "dust and blemishes" in them, so I'm waiting for the last ones I uploaded, but they are extremely meticulous about this...

The good thing is that the online upload (mind my redundancy) works well... I can't wait until they let me in so that I can begin sending images.

In terms of business I suppose that this is more like agriculture --as opposed to commercial being a hunter on commission--. The up side is that there is no overhead for someone like me that has all the equipment paid -- probably same as in your case --.

I think that if I pursue this as my regular job, I can somehow make it pay at the end. The minimum benefit, I think, is that I force myself to be producing images all the time, and that there is a place where I put them for people to buy them if they like them...

You know how I started a business in New York in two years that at least paid for my digital back... (I'm talking to myself here : )--

I think everybody here should consider regularly sending images to the stock market, you never know...