• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Inner Smile

Inner Smile is from my Naturally Abstract collection and was composed at the Aiken County Historical Museum in Aiken, SC. I often shoot a companion composition while creating. That is, if I initially frame something horizontally, I will crank the lens around and get a vertical (and vice versa). That was the case with this abstract canna lily piece.

The Artist's Story blog post for this (and the original horizontal version) can be read here: Inner Smile

SD16_3399.jpg

Peter Dexter

It does look a bit like the inside of an orchid but Steven says it is a Canna sp. That name incidentally comes from Latin for "cane". There are many cultivars and this may well be one of them.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Inner Smile is from my Naturally Abstract collection and was composed at the Aiken County Historical Museum in Aiken, SC. I often shoot a companion composition while creating. That is, if I initially frame something horizontally, I will crank the lens around and get a vertical (and vice versa). That was the case with this abstract canna lily piece.

The Artist's Story blog post for this (and the original horizontal version) can be read here: Inner Smile

SD16_3399.jpg

Feminine and sensual.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Steven,

That is, if I initially frame something horizontally, I will crank the lens around and get a vertical (and vice versa).

I'm curious as to what kind of camera you're using, where "crank[ing] the lens around" changes the aspect ratio of the frame.

Beautiful shot.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Steven,

I'm curious as to what kind of camera you're using, where "crank[ing] the lens around" changes the aspect ratio of the frame.

Beautiful shot.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug,
It shouldn't change the aspect ratio. My macro rig is a Canon 5DMkIII with a 180mmL + 2X. By "cranking it around", I simply mean loosen the tripod holder, rotate the lens, and tighten it back up again. I usually make sure the focus is still good too. The aspect ratio should be the same - unless I cropped (which I don't usually do as I'm shooting with a full frame sensor).