• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Kate 5 Triptiche

Negs made form 6X7 tranny
each print is 8X10 Cyanotype
2255086217_86f76b02a9_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Gustavo,

I like the idea of fragmenting th figure like this. A good job and an original presentation for this form of photography. However, this is a very great artistic challenge as the best dimensional light is on her pelvis and the other two sections get short-changed perhaps. I think the first images here, might be better on it's own, however the three together do also work and are very modern.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Asher

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jan,

I'm glad you are taking advantage of the store of pictures we have. Gustavo is very interested in Cyanotype and he also teaches this lost art.

Asher

Leonardo Boher

pro member
I really liie these tones and old-like stuff... It looks like psychedelic renaissance... But the face breaks a lot withthe other parts of the body. I mean, the body comes dancin slowly among shadows and lights and then PAF! An smiling blonde... I think a shot of her neck, meaning 2 poses would be quite odd and cool :)

Negs made form 6X7 tranny
each print is 8X10 Cyanotype
2255086217_86f76b02a9_o.jpg

I don't know about anyone else, but why are there two sections almost the same.
Did you slip up when putting this piece together?
Here is how I see it.
Left frame, you have a lovely 1/2 back and butt shot.
Center frame, you have from the neck line down to about a 1/4 of her butt.
Right frame nice head shot and arm shot.

Now wouldn't you want a picture of legs, butt, back, shoulders, neck, and a head?

Don't get me wrong I like it, but it seems off a little.

Asher Kelman

I don't know about anyone else, but why are there two sections almost the same.
Did you slip up when putting this piece together?
Here is how I see it.
Left frame, you have a lovely 1/2 back and butt shot.
Center frame, you have from the neck line down to about a 1/4 of her butt.
Right frame nice head shot and arm shot.

Now wouldn't you want a picture of legs, butt, back, shoulders, neck, and a head?

Don't get me wrong I like it, but it seems off a little.
Cody,

Note that this was made from an original 6cm x7cm transparency. So it was enlarged one each separate occasion, to 8"x10" film choosing 3 overlapping parts of the model to get this effect. Each sheet of film is developed and then contact-printed with 8x10 paper sensitized by hand then processed to give the final print sections. This is a painstaking process that requires a love for the technique and the esthetics of the cyanotype can show.

Part of the artist's job is to decide what not to show and what to see more than once and how it's all put together. If one wishes, one could easily make single picture. It would be beautiful but more silent and evoke different reaction from us. But then and we couldn't ask the same questions. Some of the best art might also encourage us to make inquiries of what we assume normal and not just enjoy the beauty.

I hope this helps explain the disjointed structure!

Asher

Last edited:
Asher,
I do enjoy this picture, I also understand the concept behind it to a point, However My question is, why is there two slighly different cuts of the back to the butt?

Asher Kelman

Asher,
I do enjoy this picture, I also understand the concept behind it to a point, However My question is, why is there two slighly different cuts of the back to the butt?
Cody,

Each piece seems to be able to be a design in itself and able to stand on its own. So the pelvis was needed twice, that could be all. Bur I think there's more. Gustavo appears to have released her from the fixed dimensions of her flesh to create an ethereal presence which crosses over both ways between those two parts. That creates the energy that you see. In simple terms it's two copies of "the butt". If you ignore that limited view, and consider the long round curves, you will see that it's not just the part you identify repeated, but rather the curves to which they contribute an important part.

Asher