• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Living in Paradise - El Salvador

Robert Watcher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The scene of the pleasure boats stacked line that does imply leisure and luxury!

It’s paradoxical that you should say “Paradise” in El Salvador. Especially when so many folk from many SluthvAmerican countries trek thousands of miles from their homelands for a new lifevin the USA!

So is this Paradise accessible for the natives or just “folk with money” who retire there?

Asher

Robert Watcher

The scene of the pleasure boats stacked line that does imply leisure and luxury!

It’s paradoxical that you should say “Paradise” in El Salvador. Especially when so many folk from many SluthvAmerican countries trek thousands of miles from their homelands for a new lifevin the USA!

So is this Paradise accessible for the natives or just “folk with money” who retire there?

Asher

These are local fishing boats.

The countries I have been living in are Central American countries, not South American countries. Desperate times call for desparate measures.

Public Pacific beaches line the whole southern side of El Salvador. Most are part of small fishing towns with few foreigners in sight, and then private or exclusive surfing resorts where foreigners can be seen, are more isolated along the coast.

FYI - The countries of Central America are Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

I excelled at Canadian Geography as that was the nearest place to being ??

As we went South it was the ?? Then

?

The lands of the unknown!

Anything South of Florida was essentially “off the map of Bermuda” or inadvisable as they spoke neither English, French or German, the languages of “Civilization” since Queen Elizabeth I and destruction of the Spanish Armada!

So there was either North America or South America and Antarctica thrown in for easy memory!

However, I knew New Testament and every electrical circuit made and every nerve in the human body!

Asher

Robert Watcher

I excelled at Canadian Geography as that was the nearest place to being ??

As we went South it was the ?? Then

?

The lands of the unknown!

Anything South of Florida was essentially “off the map of Bermuda” or inadvisable as they spoke neither English, French or German, the languages of “Civilization” since Queen Elizabeth I and destruction of the Spanish Armada!

So there was either North America or South America and Antarctica thrown in for easy memory!

However, I knew New Testament and every electrical circuit made and every nerve in the human body!

Asher

You do realize that Mexico is North America (along with Canada and the USA) as well right? ? And as you now know, the 6 countries of Central America come next, and then South America is the large area of countries below Panama. Your Geography lesson for today. :geek:

Asher Kelman

Robert,

You are an enlightened traveler who has replaced his delusions of European exclusiveness to a more enlightened view of the worth of everyone.

In contrast, I would argue that most in the USA, at least, consider North America to consist of just Canada and the USA.

Yes Mexico is our neighbor, but more like “those folk over the border”, without completely acknowledging their equal status as being part of the same continent.

The Central American states are even more mysterious.

In fact, to most folk here, “Central America” is a distant term like “worm theory” or “curved space-time” due to the sun losing mass. But it’s far from everyday reality!

In cowboy movies, there’s a stockade fence and beyond it are the “wild lands” like “Beyond the Wall” in Game of Thrones. That’s essentially ones view of just of the neighbors over Southern Border.

For sure it may be solid fact that Mexico is indeed equally part of North America, but it’s a distant concept, .....just that thousands of trucks simply arrive everyday, (like magic), with electronics, fabrics, cement, tiles and cars made somewhere in the “South” that arrives for us!

........Only that fellow with orange hair disturbs this mirage by seeing some imagined “invasion”.

Nevertheless, I appreciate that education even at a late stage is still possible. Thanks!

Asher

Robert Watcher

If that is the case Asher, it is kind of sad. A world where we can be so educated and at the same time so uneducated. ?

An interesting fact here - even though most people commonly consider Canada, USA and Mexico to be North America - the reality is that the continent of North America is made up of 23 countries, and many territories like Greenland and islands of the Caribbean—- Central America is actually a sub-continent.

——

Any “enlightenment” (as you put it, not me) I may have, may be more a result of my upbringing in Canada I would suspect. My schooling involved learning the geography and history of people and cultures in all parts of the world. That education and general acceptance of others, created an explorative nature in me and when as an older man I started traveling to these Central American countries, I never felt like I was jumping off the edge of a cliff into something unknown. I didn’t know the experience, but I knew the location, the history and the people on a basic level.

I wonder if Europeans have a similar view of the world. They travel freely to these parts (Central and South America) and in fact to many, travel to Africa is as normal as Canadians heading to Florida in the winter.

When you mention “invasion” into the USA —- one interesting thing Anne and I have found out is that while it is expensive and very difficult if not impossible for locals in Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador etc to get a visa to go to the United States, a visa is no required for the same people to travel to most countries in the European Union. It is costly to get there, but different friends that we have made in these countries have been able to travel to those countries from time to time.

———-

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Robert,

An interesting fact here - even though most people commonly consider Canada, USA and Mexico to be North America - the reality is that the continent of North America is made up of 23 countries, and many territories like Greenland and islands of the Caribbean—- Central America is actually a sub-continent.

I'm not much of a geographer, but I admit to having been surprised to learn, just this morning, that Greenland is part of North America (as defined by the UN).

But there are certainly many interesting variations in practice. I remember, when visiting San Juan, Puerto Rico some years ago, as having been described as a norteamericano.

Thanks for your insights.

Best regards,

Doug