• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: Major Stem Cell Advance

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The news might keep you photographing despite current limitations!

I am amazed to read today about a new breakthrough in which stem cells were converted to cells that generate functional sperm and make infertile male mice fertile.

The significance is that we are on the cusp of being able to make and repair any system in the body. Nerve diseases, diabetes, heart failure, kidney disease and more will follow.

In 20 years folk will go to hospital to have parts of body repaired and re-sculpted by injections using some kind of robotic tool to inject in a matrix the new cells.

To me it's amazing. Source

Asher

Jerome Marot

OTOH, we used to have cameras with parts that could still be found or made years after they went out of production but this is less and less true...

Asher Kelman

OTOH, we used to have cameras with parts that could still be found or made years after they went out of production but this is less and less true...

For cameras, today one can get another old one, not working for parts from KEH.com for almost giveaway prices. At least there are no recognized moral objects to this kind of repair, LOL!

Asher

Rachel Foster

I hope this comes to pass before my children are likely to develop Parkinson's. I wish I weren't an atheist so I could pray.

Asher Kelman

I hope this comes to pass before my children are likely to develop Parkinson's. I wish I weren't an atheist so I could pray.

Rachel,

You can still pray for the good in those who work day and night for the goal of curing nerve call-drop-out diseases like Parkinsonism. I'm sure it will be achieved in the next 5-12 years, at the most.

Asher

Rachel Foster

My son is 15. It might come in time for him. I have sustained too much residual damage for a cure, and I'm resigned to that. But my children...may it come in time for my children. I have Parkinson's, my father had Parkinson's, both his brothers have Parkinson's, my brother has Parkinson's. All I want is a cure before it hurts my children.

fahim mohammed

Very encouraging news.

I hope, that like Rachel's children, millions suffering from a variety of ailments can be cured and/or prevented from acquiring life threatening ailments.

But I cannot escape the thought that there are myriads of religious, moral, ethical, political and economic issues that too need to be addressed.

I strongly support the finding and availability of cures for diseases that afflict all humans.
Not just a lucky few.

I also do not want to cling on to life forever and ever just because I might have the resources to afford the cures/treatments.

I do not want to be a burden on society when others that are young need to be treated and I hog the limited resources.

I do not want to be an android. (I use iPhone anyway!!)

p.s Who wants to be Prophet Noah's age and haunt OPF!!

Ruben Alfu

As long as religous aspects don't get in the way here in the states.....

Hi Jake,

Wouldn't it be more important to talk about "immoral aspects"? Do you feel safe about political and economic agendas not just getting in the way of scientific research, but perhaps pathing the way?

Regards,

Ruben