• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Moon rise

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Last Thursday, after a long day shooting Thalima, a beautiful 110 sailing cutter, we went to anchor in the Saint-Tropez Gulf for some night atmosphere shot onboard with the light of the city in background…
Suddenly someone shout "Look that moon!"

moon.jpg

Handheld shot with a Pentax 645 Z, smc FA 645 120 mm f/4,0 at ƒ4, 1000 ISO (cropped)​

I like this one as my favorite as the moon is free and not overlapped by the boat. This is more of an adventure. "What is going to happen?" in the second picture the story has come to near its end.

Still, both are fabulous and having the sunset behind one is perfect lighting for the large boat. Yes the small is well lit, I was mistaken there, but the hull of the large boat, reflects more.

Pretty good at ISO 1000. Imagine if this was in film, MF, it would be a stretch to get this properly exposed.

Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Last Thursday, after a long day shooting Thalima, a beautiful 110 sailing cutter, we went to anchor in the Saint-Tropez Gulf for some night atmosphere shot onboard with the light of the city in background…
Suddenly someone shout "Look that moon!"

moon.jpg

Handheld shot with a Pentax 645 Z, smc FA 645 120 mm f/4,0 at ƒ4, 1000 ISO (cropped)​

The rooms in the hotels are all asleep. I love it!

How come you are up so early, Nicolas. What's the story?

Are you on a brightly lit dock or boat? I am wondering what is illuminating the side of that large vessel but not the little boat tied to it?

Asher

nicolas claris

The rooms in the hotels are all asleep. I love it!

How come you are up so early, Nicolas. What's the story?

Are you on a brightly lit dock or boat? I am wondering what is illuminating the side of that large vessel but not the little boat tied to it?

Asher

Bonsoir Asher

I use to wake-up early to catch the beautiful light of the sun rising…
But this is not the case, this shot were done early evening while the moon was raising from behind the hills.
The ambient light comes from the sunset on the opposite side in my back.
I was on the 110' sailing boat shooting onboard atmosphere when my eye catched-up the moon…
I don't feel that the small boat (called a tender) is not lit, it is simply much smaller…

Yes, Maggie, it was particularly spectacular !

This one was shot a few seconds earlier:

moon2.jpg

What a difference a few seconds make. The other with the moon just a little higher and not intersecting with the boat is obviously the better one. Well done and beautiful light in these images! :) Maggie

nicolas claris

What a difference a few seconds make. The other with the moon just a little higher and not intersecting with the boat is obviously the better one. Well done and beautiful light in these images! :) Maggie

Hi Maggie, thanks for taking the time to look at…

Maybe…
I find the one with the moon so close to the boat is a little bit to obvious… While the other one is better technically speaking… Also imho the moon place is balancing better with the bell tower…

But glad you like it!