• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Need a new Camera system...

fahim mohammed

This evening, I took out my D700, put on the ZF 100/2 Macro and went outside to take some photographs. It was a painful experience for me. My hands shook. I could not focus properly. The combo I had carried ,on several occasions, to far away places suddenly felt unwelcome to hold.

I felt sad but also recognized that things change; I have changed, and have to make certain adjustments accordingly. I can count on the fingers of my hands the times I have used a tripod and/or a flash..and am not prepared to compromise in that respect.

Then Olympus comes out with the OMD EM-1. I have friends who have the EM-5. Had played with it. Respected the camera for its abilities but had preferred my own systems. Now, I look again..at the EM-1.

Better focus, better image stabilization, better and improved sensor/processor, better everything than its predecessor. Throw in weather proofing..and the EM-1 has my undivided attention.

The Zuiko 12-40/2.8 lens and the 75/1.8 prime. For me is a perfectly suitable travel kit. Low light..check.

Ayesha has decided to take up a strenuous ( and very challenging!! ) mountain climb in South America. She has been preparing for it for sometime. And they say that ships leave for Antarctica from down in South America!! Whether we are aboard it is still under financial scrutiny!

I have never traveled far without my Leica. I do not intend to leave it behind; just pare down the lenses I carry with it..28 and 50 should do it. With the M mount to MFT adapter, the travel set seems sufficient, convenient, and light ( travel carry-on restrictions ) without sacrificing image quality.

I have placed my pre-order for the Olympus system with the lenses mentioned. I hope it arrives before she starts her mountain climb!!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

This evening, I took out my D700, put on the ZF 100/2 Macro and went outside to take some photographs. It was a painful experience for me. My hands shook. I could not focus properly. The combo I had carried ,on several occasions, to far away places suddenly felt unwelcome to hold.

I felt sad but also recognized that things change; I have changed, and have to make certain adjustments accordingly.
I understand. As you know, we have been going through a similar adaptation here!

Then Olympus comes out with the OMD EM-1. I have friends who have the EM-5. Had played with it. Respected the camera for its abilities but had preferred my own systems. Now, I look again..at the EM-1.

Better focus, better image stabilization, better and improved sensor/processor, better everything than its predecessor. Throw in weather proofing..and the EM-1 has my undivided attention.

The Zuiko 12-40/2.8 lens and the 75/1.8 prime. For me is a perfectly suitable travel kit. Low light..check.

That sounds superb. As you know, I have always thought that the four-thirds format size is ideal (die neue Kleinbild!), and I am a big fan of EVFs (if well done, and this one sounds as if it is).

Ayesha has decided to take up a strenuous ( and very challenging!! ) mountain climb in South America. She has been preparing for it for sometime.

That sounds wonderful. All we have to do is to keep up with these ladies!

We look forward to hearing of your new machine, and of course the adventure.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Morning Doug.

The market for Olympus here is a very small one. The dealer could not give me date, but I shall be one of the first to get it..when they start coming. Gives me time to see what the forums have to say about it; once they have put it thru its paces.

But, as I read the reports, this one seems to fit the bill for me. The M system might be small, but it ain't light.

My son has now permanently ' borrowed ' my Fuji! So, getting this one in time is of some importance. Need to get comfortable with it..and that sort of thing.

I cannot keep up with my lady, Doug. I am one that needs to plan a route to take the car out!! She sometimes is already there.

Take care and best regards.

Jerome Marot

Is the problem that you need image stabilization or is the problem that you need a smaller, lighter camera? In the latter case, there are good indications that Sony shall issue a full-frame NEX camera within a week or so. Presumably, you could use it with your existing Leica lenses.

a7r35-1_zpsc93c667e.jpg

fahim mohammed

Hi Jerome. Thanks for stopping by.

I need both :) Image stabilization and small/light size.

I, too, have been following the Sony A7/r news and find it very interesting. Shall follow it closely.

The big thing with Sony is that the dealership here is huge and support is at hand.
Early days though.

Best regards.

fahim mohammed

It would appear, on paper at least, that the Sony FF A7r might..just might..suit me better than the EM1.

The Leica lenses can be used on the Olympus and the Sony systems. I am not a wide angle shooter. Thus the performance of the M wides is not a determining factor, as far as I am concerned.

I do not do sports. So DSLR fast focusing is, once again, not really that important to me.

Sony does not, have yet or might never , have the native lens line-up of Olympus or Canikon or Leica.

No current camera would ever give the RF experience of a Leica. Just as no digital camera could give me the experience of film.

What does matter to me is the volume, weight and price of a camera. If technological advancement is where it is at , then I have to seriously look at the new Sony.

But I shall never be without my M and a few M lenses.

I am not looking at a replacement, but something that would ease my desire to keep on using my M lenses and provide me with the latest in sensor tech and focusing help.

I have always believed, deep inside, that B&W is a Leica M and a roll of Tri-X. :)

Very interesting times we have in the camera world.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

Indeed the announcement of the Sony A7 (and A7R, for those who oppose smallpox vaccination and antialiasing filters) is very exciting.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

The A7 and A7R could indeed be game changers. For the first time since the 60s, we may have a camera with a universal lens mount. Sony just needs to look the other way when third parties build adapters with contacts for aperture and AF.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The A7 and A7R could indeed be game changers. For the first time since the 60s, we may have a camera with a universal lens mount. Sony just needs to look the other way when third parties build adapters with contacts for aperture and AF.

Indeed, Jerome!

I had one in my hand last night and it is a gem at just 500gm! The viewfinder is bright and the shutter is subdued. When one sets it to bracketed shots, one shutter release gives the immediate sequence of the three shots. That to me is wonderful. However, it would be better to have a leaf shutter in the lens to have stealth. With the many adapters for 3rd party lenses, is there a leaf shutter lens that might fit?

In any case, the idea that the camera could use my existing Canon stable of lenses provides the possibility of a lightweight body to replace the 5DII on travels and one can use competent lenses such as the 50 1.4 and the 80 1.8 with adapters for a great travel/street photography package.

Asher

Jerome Marot

With the many adapters for 3rd party lenses, is there a leaf shutter lens that might fit?

No. I don't think that the E-lens mount would transmit shutter signals.

As to the viewfinder, opinions vary. I know the viewfinder from the NEX-7 and I can tolerate it in a small camera, but it is certainly not to my taste.

Michael Nagel

The new Sony cameras are indeed interesting.
I like the concept and size - but have to see how it 'feels' (handling, usability).

For the next step - when there will be a digital version of the Mamiya 7II? :)

Best regards,
Michael

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

As to the viewfinder, opinions vary. I know the viewfinder from the NEX-7 and I can tolerate it in a small camera, but it is certainly not to my taste.

As you know. I am a big exponent of EVFs, and certainly the one in the RCA TK-41 color video camera (ca. 1953) was pretty good for its time (except for its hood), but I'm afraid that I'm still waiting to see one for a modest-size digital still camera that fulfills its potential.

kmtv-stillcapture.jpg
aesop-web.jpg

Best regards,

Doug

I don't mind carrying round a full-sized DSLR system, I just came back from a long trip where I had 9kg just in cameras and lenses. But that's wandering in the wilderness (well, driving is probably more accurate). I'm heading for India in February and New York in October. I'm thinking a more compact system will be more appropriate there.

The new Sony cameras are not viable for me because of the small range of lenses, especially since only the Zeiss lenses are likely to do them justice. I'm thinking of a Fuji x-pro system, perhaps initially a Zeiss 12mm f2.8 or a Fuji 10-24mm f4 plus a Fuji 56mm f1.4 (if released in time) or a Fuji 55-200mm f3.5-4.8. As well as that I'll have my X100s.

Jerome Marot

I am a big exponent of EVFs, and certainly the one in the RCA TK-41 color video camera (ca. 1953) was pretty good for its time (except for its hood), but I'm afraid that I'm still waiting to see one for a modest-size digital still camera that fulfills its potential.

EVFs are a good solution for video cameras and I don't mind them in my camcorders. But the particulars of video and photography are different, and I prefer a ground glass for my photography.

What is different?

• The resolution of video is relatively low, so I do not need to see fine details
  • Video post-processing is limited, so I appreciate when the viewfinder presents, e.g., a limited contrast range which is what I will see on the final film
  • In video I appreciate to have some information superposed over the picture (e.g. peaking), while I don't want that in photography
  • I rarely shoot video outside in bright sunlight, so I don't have the problem that the viewfinder becomes hard to see in bright sunlight

On the other hand, for my photographic practice, I find that the EVF of the NEX-7 (which is identical to the one of the camera discussed here):

• has a resolution that is too poor for me to discern small objects which can distract the picture
  • presents the dark parts of the picture which I can use in post to raise the details as solid black
  • insists on overlaying the subject with info which I find distracting when I compose a picture
  • becomes difficult to see in bright sunlight, especially if I am wearing glasses
  • blinds me at night (I can't shoot video in very low light that is still usable for photography)
  • presents a confusing color palette under artificial light

Asher Kelman

I don't mind carrying round a full-sized DSLR system, I just came back from a long trip where I had 9kg just in cameras and lenses. But that's wandering in the wilderness (well, driving is probably more accurate). I'm heading for India in February and New York in October. I'm thinking a more compact system will be more appropriate there.

The new Sony cameras are not viable for me because of the small range of lenses, especially since only the Zeiss lenses are likely to do them justice. I'm thinking of a Fuji x-pro system, perhaps initially a Zeiss 12mm f2.8 or a Fuji 10-24mm f4 plus a Fuji 56mm f1.4 (if released in time) or a Fuji 55-200mm f3.5-4.8. As well as that I'll have my X100s.

Murray,

The new mirrorless Sony full frame 35mm cameras can take lenses from Canon, Minolta, Nikon and Pentax. So why not consider a 24 MP or 35 MP version. Especially when one uses MF.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

Yes, I have run into the "two dim in bright sun, too bright at night" problem with the EVF on my Lumix DMC-FZ200.

I deal with the daytime problem with a nice eyecup, and the nighttime problem by changing the EVF brightness, but it is a bit of a pain, compared to an OVF which (in most cases) automatically does what is needed.

Best regards,

Doug

Murray,
The new mirrorless Sony full frame 35mm cameras can take lenses from Canon, Minolta, Nikon and Pentax. So why not consider a 24 MP or 35 MP version. Especially when one uses MF.
Asher

Asher

I already have a Nikon D800 and I'm not looking to replace that. I'm considering a compact system for probably mainly hand-held use in urban areas of high population density. I don't think a small camera body and large lenses is compatible with that, which I think is what the Sony would amount to. I also quite like AF for social and wildlife photography.

Asher Kelman

The new Sony cameras are indeed interesting.
I like the concept and size - but have to see how it 'feels' (handling, usability).

For the next step - when there will be a digital version of the Mamiya 7II? :)

Michael,

It only makes sense for Mamiya, (if they are still independant enough from Phase One), to go on their own and also use the well-proven 50 MP "MF" CMOS sensor or better with a digital version of their popular Mamiya 7 Rangefinder camera.

Another major likely contender is Fuji who again have a major base of photographers who have used their MF cameras.

Meanwhile, with the flash synch speed of 1/2000 for the new compact Hasselblad, the X1D, would make this camera a major edition to a wedding photographer's ability to shoot detail-rich group scenes, where the upscale clients would pay for the better result in the largest prints. The same benefit accrues to any Mamiya 7II digital or Fuji compact MF camera with the same Sony sensor. Considering the high price of the Canon and Nikon 35mm format flagships, a lightweight MF digital camera at $7,000 to $9,000 is not by degree so unearthly and unreasonable. Still it's a lot of cash and I for one would be willing to give up a lot of lenses to be able to cover the cost.

For me, this is an ideal camera format for most of my work: relatively light body with detail rich capability for large wall prints.

Of course, given the high quality image, this could be used for the kids soccer game as one could crop or use an older Hasselblad lens with an adapter. But really silly as inexpensive all in one digicam zooms do this job with aplomb!

Meanwhile, I can assure everyone that the Sony A7R version one, is already fighting way above their boxing class. To me, at least, apart from have less fine hair resolution, at 3ft from a 1.5 -2.0 meter high print, the Sony A7R delivers a print at least as impactful and beautiful as that given by an 80 MP Phase One MF camera. Not identical subjects, but I felt no need to repeat the expense of renting the Phase One as I have become confident that it is only my skills and esthetics that make a difference, not the camera.

So for anyone in the market for a camera that has rapid autofocus, no need to adjust lenses for focus errors and superb output, (as well as the ability to confer image stabilization on almost any other lens), then one cannot go wrong choosing the Sony A7II or A7II R.

Otherwise, given the same built in image atabilization and so many superb lenses, I might be attracted to the Olympus 4/3 system.

Just my $0.02!

Asher

Last edited:

Michael Nagel

Asher,

are you aware that you are answering a three-year old post of mine?

I mentioned this post elsewhere.

For me it does not make sense to carry on here in this thread.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Asher,

are you aware that you are answering a three-year old post of mine?

I mentioned this post elsewhere.

For me it does not make sense to carry on here in this thread.

Best regards,
Michael

I thought there was kind duplication with the new Hasselblad thread, but surprisingly, this thread came up as "recent posts" so there was a glitch.

I will move me post!

Thanks for pointing it out!

?