• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Review: New Additions.............

Tom dinning

Registrant*
There are just so many photographers that to really advance you have to be willing to do the extra-oridinary.........Lighting up old relics is a bit different but it also stands out.......plus it brings back lost or abandoned america for a final review..........it has an attachment to nostalgia as well. plus if you relate to it you can be good at it....................Troy Paiva doe sit, google him to see his work............. PD ..............

People with cameras are certainly thick on the ground, Pat. I stood on a couple only yesterday. Something stuck to my shoes as a result.

Advancement? Sounds like a lava flow or invasion.
Perhaps 'being noticed' would be more appropriate.
A bit of scandal helps. Being a pioneer adds legitimacy to fame and fortune.
Not sure if plagerism is kosher. Copying is OK but we know it's copied.

Perhaps these images are akin to mortuary make-up. A last bit of bling before the burial.
It's a good thing we have an affinity with the old, urstwise my great grand daughter would neglect or discard me . Perhaps I'll give her a red torch.

Xx

Pat Dwyer

watch

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Pat,

I like the path you have started on, but I hope you will go much further. The above is a good start and a lot of work and initiative.

There's no issues with being "inspired" by another artist's work. In fact that's part of our essential education - to be aware of those who have made paths before us. But that's only the beginning.

So don't try to copy. Rather find out what needs to come from your own spirit and start walking from the place your admiration first brought you there.

Asher

Pat Dwyer

TO REALLY EXPLORE NIGHT PAINTING.......... Go to you tube and type-----" Lost America on Artland.".....There Troy Paiva gives a first hand accouting of this new type of photography.............It is a great introduction by Troy...........He actually goes to Rte 66 and takes pictures of the long abandoned highway at night......Hope this helps guys......................PD

Pat Dwyer

Sunset of the railroad tracks..........

img-5558_orig.jpg
Taken off the railroad tracks this Virginia sunset captures the sun setting at the end of the day..Time to relax and collect your thoughts............

Last edited:

Tom dinning

Registrant*
TO REALLY EXPLORE NIGHT PAINTING.......... Go to you tube and type-----" Lost America on Artland.".....There Troy Paiva gives a first hand accouting of this new type of photography.............It is a great introduction by Troy...........He actually goes to Rte 66 and takes pictures of the long abandoned highway at night......Hope this helps guys......................PD

You might be interested in this, PD

http://jennalawsonfmp.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/history-of-light-painting.html

Xx

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom,

What a superbly rich and inspiring history of the creativity shown in light painting for the past 100 years!

This is one of the richest links ever! Worth visiting, bookmarking and using as a reference!

Thanks for sharing the joy!

Asher

No worries.

Here's another.

http://www.lpwalliance.com/publication/15/

My interest as a teacher is to demonstrate the scope of possibilities when playing with shutter speed or exposure time.

The rest is up to the performer.

I'm a big fan of using the lower end of the dial. A bit of blur gives a sense of movement, some dynamics and even a bit of mystery and intrigue. A shaken camera, a flailing arm, a nodding head, the blur of a butterfly, the twist of a breeze all have their place.

Xx

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
no photo shopping at all here............

Hi Pat,

Are you familiar with any editing processes or you never do it? The camera has no idea what is on your mind and the settings are just what is made in the Japanese factory by technicians. They could have just as easily made other settings and your pictures would be different in many ways. That is why we use photoshop. not to "change" what was captured, but to express what was there.

Asher