• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New book "Présences" !

Hi,

I didn't visit you for a very long time... as i was working on a book project that i am glad to present today !

This book is a set of 55 urban pictures which aim to give a distant vision of modern urban life. Please feel free to have a look on it ! ;)

Best regards,

Cedric.

Hi,

I didn't visit you for a very long time... as i was working on a book project that i am glad to present today !

This book is a set of 55 urban pictures which aim to give a distant vision of modern urban life. Please feel free to have a look on it ! ;)

Hi Cedric,

Congratulations! It's a lot of work preparing for such a publication, but when it's done, you have something tangible to show for it. It looks fine. It's a pitty that a few pages are blank, presumably to indicate the start of a different series. Maybe a short text there could fill the empty space, and make the transition less abrupt.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Congratulations Cedric,

I recognize a lot of the pictures. Your choice of the standard horizontal format allows you to set a price of about $45 so that it's not too much of an expense for folk to purchase to get to have your photography to see in print form. From my ownership of Nicolas' new book by Blurb too, I feel that the quality of the color is really excellent and this is a good route to go for self publication.

I just wish there could be something as good to deliver a book for $25!

Asher

It's very well set out and presented. I particularly liked the truck tyre in the woods and the little girl with the bubbles (very a la Pink Floyd!).

I want to do a Blurb book for my NZ images but am finding it a very daunting project. Must knuckle down.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cedric,

Congratulations, you have done really well with this collection. I have seen many of the pictures in the book earlier here in OPF, but together they stand much stronger.

Amitiés,
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Hi,

Thank you all for your feedbacks ! ;)

This book has been realized using BookSmart, this software is quite usefull when you want to realize a classical book without a special template. I spent of a lot of time before to make a good selection in Lightroom, and i have made several mocks with BookSmart.

Cédric.

Alain Briot

pro member
Very nice, Cedric. Congratulations. I know this requires quite a bit of effort.

I particularly like how you selected 'matching pairs' of photographs for left-right facing pages and how you left the left page blank when there was no pairing.

Asher Kelman

Very nice, Cedric. Congratulations. I know this requires quite a bit of effort.

I particularly like how you selected 'matching pairs' of photographs for left-right facing pages and how you left the left page blank when there was no pairing.

Yes,

I agree that this layout is most effective. One thing I wonder about is what to do about panoramas. Where it crosses the center in a two page spread, there can be a large dip which hides about 2-3 cm of the picture. Is there a book company that allows for fold-out pages, so one can have the picture extending from one sheet without having to cover two separate pages?

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Not that I know.

Panoramics are problematic for publishing. If you make an entire book of panoramas the format gets tiring after a while. If you do a regular format book, the panoramics look really small on the page.

Mike Shimwell

Hi Cedric

I like it very much. Good work, nicely pulled together.

I have a couple of questions.

How big will the book be and have you considered making a handbound copy using a good printer and paper? I've done a couple of these for friends in the past and they can be really exciting pieces.

Mike

Asher Kelman

Not that I know.

Panoramics are problematic for publishing. If you make an entire book of panoramas the format gets tiring after a while. If you do a regular format book, the panoramics look really small on the page.

That's why a foldout would be perfect! I've designed a brochure book which has a half page fold out of the first inside page. It works very well. I never asked if they could do it beforehand, but that was a commercial printer and the booklet is not bound.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Cedric Massoulier is a most talented Parisien photographer with a uncanny knack for filtering out most of the clutter of life and then preserving for us glimpses which represent so much of our culture. There's a great advantage of a French upbringing with access to thinkers. This heritage is evident in his choices. The pages in the book are artfully ordered with many levels or relationships between facing and following pages. Even though I know some of the works already, their positioning in the book makes even these dear pictures new to me.

I recommend this book, not only for its beauty, but also as an inspiration for photographers who want to develop their own voice.

Great job, Cedric!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi,

Best regards,

Cedric.

Cedrick_Book.png

Cedric Massoulier: Présences

Screenshot of the photobook published on Blurb.

I want to draw attention to this delightful self-published book. It is in itself beaiutiful as a window into one French Photographer's world. Also it shows what is possible for each of us.

Asher