• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New work

Doug Earle

I just had the chance to get back and work with a new model. Actually, I was with a new model, using a new camera, in a new (for me) studio with unfamiliar lighting equipment and was amazed to have one of the most successful sessions ever. Model is Nettie Harris out of Lousinana (she's on Model Mayhem for those interested). Shot this in Camera Raw, converted and toned in Lightroom 2 (a great new tool). Comments and critiques welcomed.

09-01-Nettie-115.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Doug,

Great that you venture out with everything new. The setup though is one you have been successful with before. I really like the idea of putting the person behind the fabric which provides some sort of quixotic privacy, as if she was protected by some wrought iron screen or else that of a confessional.

You have lit her from one side, at least for the most port. Also another lesser light from the opposite side which is also illuminating the backcloth. I find that this is bringing out the crumpled creasing of the cloth and is really badly distracting and shouldn't be there. Having the fine leaves and flowers silhouetted in front of her is enough detail to contrast with her smoother shape. Choose one or the other, IMHO!

I would like to see the shadows opened up on her form so we see her better. Here right side is too bright, even if that's the effect you are after, and the opposite side is either not dark enough or too dark. Two strip lights at 45 degrees in front of her with the leading 30% of each with an extra 0.5 to 1 stop of fabric get her lit better and also a hair light.

For this, why not simply add the fabric as a layer in photoshop as no shadows of the pattern are part of the composition? Then you can have a large light source in front of her and control the shadow and light on each side exactly as you wish.

Back to the picture, I love this set up and look forward to more in this series with your new model, lights and camera. Could you leave the EXIF info on the files so we can see what the camera and shot details are? Also what light's did you use since, here, lighting defines the look.

So this is my strong reaction immediately felt and written. I'm interested to learn what you feel about my comments. I present them with some trepidation, since what I see as untidy or inadequate may be something you intentionally built into the picture. I rather think not! In any case, I do hope they are both relevant and helpful!

Asher

Doug Earle

Thanks for the comments

Asher:
many thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Unfortunately it's not the lighting that shows the rumples and wrinkles in the cloth as it is the nature of this cloth itself. I've even tried ironing it and the wrinkles seem to reappear. My next attempt is to build a frame and stretch it taut, although im not as bothered by the wrinkles as others. To me it adds an old feeling much like a well used confessional.

The lighting was large softbox camera left as the main light, another large gridded softbox camera right flagged with a large sheet of foamcore to turn it into a strip light. Both were 99% behind the screen so that the only light illuminating the screen comes from reflections. I've tried it other ways and having even minimal light on the camera side of the screen produces unwanted shimmers with this fabric....sort of a glossy reflection I don't want. I was using a Norman P2000D and there was a boom hairlight behind the model. It was snooted with a homemade gadget the owner of the studio rigged, and I couldn't adjust it to either give accurate placement or a bit more light. The boom wasn't exactly balanced and had a tendency to slowly move the head higher and swing back right. One of the frustrations of working in a new place.

I've thought about using the layer technique in PS but don't think that gets at the essence of what this work is about--which is a sort of "distanced intimacy" or "connected separation". Every model I've worked with on this set up acts differently when the screen is up rather than not present. It allows something deeply internal to surface, and I just don't think I'd get what I'm going for in PS.

I was using Canon 50D, ISO 100, f5.6 @ 1/60th, zoom at 35mm. When uploaded to the forums the photo appears darker than the original does on my computer. I'll be posting more in the days to come.