• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nice surprise

Paul Iddon

In the first fortnight of February, i got a nice surprise when I went hunting around the garden looking for springtails (found one, hard to get though as usual...)

colly1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Anyway, I was instead delighted to discover a bonus visitor - which I assume, as it was on the door of the recycling bin, that it went back into after I took a few photos (I went back to the computer to upload and check them - and when I went back out it had disappeared...)

We do have a very small pond but that is 4 metres away from where I found this wonderful smooth newt, and is the first one I have seen in my garden for many years!

newt4_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt2_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt5_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt3_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt6_4k_1800-XL.jpg

I offered it a worm to see if it might be tempted to have a snack, but the worm went its own merry way...

newt9_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt7_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Paul Iddon

Must not have been hungry. On land it eats insects, slugs and worms. In the water they hunt insects, tadpoles, water snails and small crustaceans, such as shrimps.

Paul.