• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Norway

Mike Shimwell

Perhaps inevitably, I've been somewhat busy since returning from Norway. We had a wonderful family holiday and that took priority over the photos, but I've come back with a few that I'm pleased with.

I thought that I'd share this one first, and a few others as I process them. This was shot on top of the Bergen Funicular railway. The chap holding the umbrella was laughing with his friends that he had had the umbrella for 10 years and that it was from the world Bank - but is now defunct. A nice tableau, I thought.

2822294077_004fd75270_o.jpg

1Ds3, 85 1.8 at 6.3, iso 200

As ever C&C welcome and I hope you enjoy.

I'll try to add a few more over the next few days.

Mike

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Mike,

We are so busy with other things that we must have overlooked this one, sorry :-(

I am intrigued, this to me more something of PJ/street documentary than Norway/landscape?
Nevertheless, a nice tableau indeed. So how did you convert to B&W? Maybe you could dodge the face of the man on the right a bit or use highlight/shadows, etc.

Please show more indeed :)

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Perhaps inevitably, I've been somewhat busy since returning from Norway. We had a wonderful family holiday and that took priority over the photos, but I've come back with a few that I'm pleased with.

I thought that I'd share this one first, and a few others as I process them. This was shot on top of the Bergen Funicular railway. The chap holding the umbrella was laughing with his friends that he had had the umbrella for 10 years and that it was from the world Bank - but is now defunct. A nice tableau, I thought.

2822294077_004fd75270_o.jpg

1Ds3, 85 1.8 at 6.3, iso 200

As ever C&C welcome and I hope you enjoy.

I'll try to add a few more over the next few days.

Mike

Mike,

To my surprise my original post is not here! I cannot believe I did it again, failing to actually submit a post after I have spent time writing it!

The damaged umbrella still being used on a damp misty day is what sets this photograph apart and attracts attention. At first, we don't find a lot there, just 3 people, maybe 2 men and a woman, are having a conversation. There cannot be much rain as there are no nearby puddles and the man on the left hasn't bothered to set up his own, apparently healthy-looking umbrella. So now we can deduce that the fellow holding the lone damaged umbrella is somewhat of a character. The men's hair have not seen a barber's scissors in some time. This indicates that the guys are not in any job that requires anal attentiveness to being neat and formal. So these are more likely to be college or artistic folk who can do as they please. The style of the suit on the left makes it doubtful that the man is a blue-collar worker. Now I wonder what they might be talking about and why they took the journey. Did the couple just meet the bearded fellow or are they together.

So what kind of a picture is this? It's one of narrative and mood. However, we would want a little more, the face of the man holding the damaged umbrella perhaps or some little hint on the purpose or identity of the woman.

The composition of the picture, with the three standing on the edge of a sheet of flat concrete with embedded pebbles, is simple but asymmetrical and works. It is just sufficient to hold the narrative without any unneeded pretense to beauty beyond being superbly agreeable. People are stopping in their life's journey to acknowledge one another, and that's what this is about and makes it worthwhile.

Thanks for sharing!

fahim mohammed

Mike, welcome back. I hope enjoyed your visit to beautiful Norway. If you guys dress up like that
on the top of the funicular stop, i can only imagine when you are formal!

Regards.

Mike Shimwell

Thanks you all for your comments.

Cem, the conversion was initially in lightroom and then using the DXo filmpack (Tri-X no grain) in PS. This was followed by some cloning out of a couple of distracting elements and a curves layer to 'dodge' the mens faces. Finally, another curves layer for print on Ilford GFS.

Asher, yes the moment for me was about the meeting of the 'character' and his friends - his attitude was certainly of joie d'vie (Cedric?) and he was enjoying the loss of his umbrella as much as he had appreciated its earlier protection:) I was amused as we returned from a walk in the woods to find a sea of umbrellas at this view point even though the rain had stopped and there was now only damp and misty air. I always appreciate your reading of images, you draw out a great deal and I always find that an encouragement.

Fahim - when we meet you will see that is not my usual dress!

For a more conventional view of Norway (briefly!) I took Hannah, my 6 year old, walking on a glacier. She was quite scared as we were all roped up and wearing crampons and we had talked of crevasses and sink holes before the 'expedition'. Here are a few images from that day:

2841193928_76aea1bda2_o.jpg

2841191702_9ef00da643_o.jpg

Mike Shimwell

and 3 of the blue ice - totally amazing

All are 5D and 24-105.

2841192654_e2bfe91fca_o.jpg

2841193246_118dcc9f8f_o.jpg

2841192254_90a1f37afe_o.jpg

Later I'll go back to the start of the trip and put up a couple form the ferry, but again any C&C is welcome, and hope you enjoy.

Mike