• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photo surround and such

Doug Kerr

Asher has pointed out that several important modern photo editors provide (presumably by default) a dark surround around the image when it is being edited. He also said (and I paraphrase) that this was known to be "easier on the eyes".

To add to our "database" of information on this, I today downloaded and installed (on a trial basis, but I may well buy it) ON1 Photo RAW 2019.2.

There is seemingly only one "skin" for the program, and its background color in general is (R-G-B, hex) 1E-1E-1E (0.013 relative luminance). If the image does not fill the image window, the remaining space (I will call that the "padding") is (by default) 14-14-14 (0.013 relative luminance). This latter is called in the program menus the "image background color", which I think is misleading

The user can change the color of the padding to any of several preset colors or to a "custom" color.

But because ordinarily the padding is very small (completely absent if we set a large zoom ratio), that ability is not worth much.

We see the entire app window with the "default" view of a 3:2 camera file and the default padding color here (reduced in size to suit the presentation context):

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am grateful that we have at least one person getting experience with On1. It does seem like a capable image processor with many of the high end features found in photoshop.

It doesn’t use extra space making a catalog like LR!

So there is another way of looking at image organization.

Thanks for the further info on choices of image surround color!

Asher