• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

SHOCK: BHUTTO ASSASSINATED! A tragedy for Pakistan. A dangerous turn?

....Feck!....It is just on the news... Benazir Bhutto has been assassinated.... Sigh... She brought hope to many in Pakistan, and she new that she risks her life going back... apparantly the assassinator blew himself up after he shot....

...another great woman of this century... lost to insane political fundamentalists... Benazir Bhutto ... RIP

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Is this the person one wants to being to Europe from Somalia, for example? This use of humans as targeted bombs we do not need to get to Europe. What imperative was there for a person to kill himself in order to stop Bhutto’s impending political voice?

This shows that differences are not due to mere misunderstanding between opposing cultures, but rather as existential stances, so serious that death is a reasonable price to pay for the essential purposes of the bomber. I doubt that the bomber killed himself because he (or she??) felt that people would starve on not get educated under Bhutto. Rather it's to promote a religious dictatorship.

Of course, my cynical side could easily envisage a government purchase of an extremist group's services to send one of their guys (already-brainwashed to self-sacrifice) and just use them as an effective guided missile.

Since the Pakistan secret service has longstanding connection with the extremists, doubtless they could do this if the order was given and the money provided or a key tribe member released. Call me a cynic, but I don't believe that what is obvious is necessarily what has occurred.

Asher

SHOCK: BHUTTO ASSASSINATED! A tagedy for Pakistan. A dangerous turn?

This use of humans as targeted bombs we do not need to get to Europe.

Being from a somewhat western educated background, it was always beyond comprehension to me, this utter disrespect of life! Then again, I know too well that despair is a teacher that allows strange flowers to bloom in deed.

Musharraf, heavily supported during desert storm, continuously later on as well, who could claim not to have known him to be a dictator, really!

Here we are again.... yaaaaawn, I am feeling increasingly tired.... <no, not meant cynical at all!>

I still wait for a global statement of support, and not Blair & Bush poor arse statements alone.

Pakistan needs peace!

I would call on the security council to get into session RIGHT AWAY! - Secure those nukes! -

Last edited:
dangerous turn?

...a dangerous turn?... well not really, just a tendency that can be observed since quite some time.

I mean come on, if you look at the assassination attempts since march this year alone... hundreds killed in suicide bomb attacks to get her!...

Asher Kelman

Being from a somewhat western educated background, it was always beyond comprehension to me, this utter disrespect of life! Then again, I know too well that despair is a teacher that allows strange flowers to bloom in deed.

Musharraf, heavily supported during desert storm, continuously later on as well, who could claim not to have known him to be a dictator, really!

We had a choice, secure the 25 nuclear weapons in Pakistan and tie down 100,000 troops in Waziristan or co-opt Musharraf as a tactical move so that the Taliban could be de-fanged by Mushareff redirecting his secret service away from the militants. Dictatorships are sometimes realities like minefield that we have to navigate around for the moment. Bush has been pressuring Musharraf to turn towards democracy.

The Pakistan army is still not strong enough or prepared to tackle head on the Waziri tribes in North West frontier province of Pakistan bordering on Afghanistan. These well armed tribes are allied with the Taliban and they feel that their religious Sharia-guided way of life and hatred for outsiders is worth fighting and dying for.

So Bush and Blair, IMHO, did the right thing it not sending large numbers of troops into Pakistan, relying instead in a more prosperous and peaceful Pakistan with Indo-Pakistan reconciliation being more productive.

I still wait for a global statement of support, and not Blair & Bush statements alone.

Pakistan needs peace!

I would call on the security council to get into session RIGHT AWAY! - Secure those nukes! -

The safety of the nuclear weapons is a large worry! However, the Pakistani army is highly professional and has modern controls. The loyalty of the Pakistan army is the key factor and the reality of whether or not militant Islamics feel they are ready to swamp the streets for a takeover.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Possible Role of Pakistan Secret Service Predicted by Bhutto, herself not long ago!

ln my previous posts, I mention above that "What's obvious, isn't necessarily what happened". I do not believe that this assassination of the former Pakistan Premier, Benazir Bhutto, was necessarily the work of Islamic Militants for their own sake. They could have been the people the force delivering the assassin. The militant ant-Western militants would not, IMHO, need much in the way of money or their own people released to donate one of their trained homicide bombers. After all, Benazir Bhutto, worse a woman, supported a secular Pakistan not one informed by the Holy Koran and guided by Mullahs in their implementation of Shariah law. I wonder whether her declared enemies simply decided to take advantage of this animus to end this woman's brazen penetration to the territory of conservative standards and even maintain Musharaf's rule or prepare for a new more conservative army takeover.

All the connections required for ordering this and having this performed by unleashing this "shahid"have been in place for a long time.
New York Time said:
The assassination is likely to bring renewed attention to Pakistan’s security agencies. Ms. Bhutto had long accused the country’s main military intelligence agency, the Inter-Services Intelligence, or ISI, of working against her and her party because they opposed her liberal, secular agenda.

In a letter she sent to Mr. Musharraf just before her return to Pakistan in October, she listed “three individuals and more” who she said in the event that she was assassinated should be investigated for their sympathies with extremist militants.

An aide close to Ms. Bhutto said that one of those named in the letter was Ijaz Shah, the director general of the Intelligence Bureau, another of the country’s intelligence agencies and a close associate of Mr. Musharraf.

The second official was the head of the country’s National Accountability Bureau, which had investigated Ms. Bhutto on corruption charges. The third was a former official in Punjab province who had mistreated her husband, Asif Ali Zardari, when he was in jail awaiting trial on corruption charges.

Ms. Bhutto never publicly confirmed the three names in the letter and its was unclear how many names it actually included. She complained that the government investigation into the Karachi assassination attempt was not thorough and called for an independent international investigation. Since then, she had continued to accuse the government of doing too little to protect her while campaigning for nationwide elections.

In an interview after Ms. Bhutto released the letter, a close aide to Mr. Musharraf said the people named in the letter were all political enemies of Ms. Bhutto. He said they did not have sympathy with militants and the government was doing all it could to protect Ms. Bhutto. He said that militants had repeatedly vowed to kill Ms. Bhutto, who had vowed to crack down on religious extremists, and he blamed them for the Karachi attack. In a telephone interview Thursday, the same aide blamed militants for Ms. Bhutto’s assassination.
Source here.

So her fears where ignored by Musharaf. She was not protected. This is indeed a turn for the worse.

Asher

Ok. you raise the question who was REALLY behind the hit!

To be honest, if I put my analyst hat on for a wee bit, I have 5 different, equally viable theories in one hand alone. <grins>

However, I fully agree, the implications are massive and do not come by coincidence at all!

Meanwhile the security council did as expected. (It is midnight here in Ireland)

Of course, she was refused top notch security when she returned, I read one report a while ago where it was said that her guards could not even secure military grade scramblers, a basic tool for bodyguards in deed.

I am glad you are open to discuss this here Asher, and I appreciate the space you enable for us to share.

Again, I agree, all this has been put in place a long time ago already! Leaves us with the timing to be analyzed for the moment, doesn't it?

Last edited:
ACCOUNTABILITY is the question at the moment in deed.

What is there? Exactly how much?

Do we really know....?

I doubt that ....

P.S.
got your IM

Last edited:
...whether or not militant Islamics feel they are ready to swamp the streets for a takeover.

I would think of it as ANY extremists rather than militant Islamics, and yeah, I would vote for that as well!

....BUT.... <grins>

[comedy on]
Then, subconsequently.... HOW?

We can not afford months lasting discussions of old men while young men are being killed. We need a rapid intervention force! I know... we have ...blah blah blah... We DO NEED a rapid intervention force that can attempt to handle situations such as this.

I know, difficult point, but valid nevertheless!

I urge for international cooperation on this issue. We have to blow the same horn in this matter, or we end up as a steak.... ahem....

<grins>
[comedy out]

... outa here...

~^..^~
laughing bear

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

I feel that if something is worth photographing, it's also worthy of discussion. That's what these pages are here for.

The truth is no one (outside of who ever planned this hit) knows the next important events, probably not even the assassin in his/her last moments.

Who are the candidates for planning this crime? One would have to include the people Ms Bhutto listed as in the New York Times article of today quoted above. However, this could have been planned by an opposition candidate or the Al Queda directly. The latter obviously has very powerful potential in Pakistan. Musharaff himself barely escaped assassinitation a number of times already.

What's interesting and so tragic is that the assassin mostl likely believed he (she) was doing a noble deed! There are an endless supply of such devoted individuals.

Pakistan has lost a major opportunity for moving towards a more peaceful era. The USA lost a vlaued friend. Bhutto was a dream candidate. The 60% of Pakistan who are moderate/secular would likely have embraced her.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Some pictures from Getty Images for Editorial comment!

art.bhutto.gi.jpg

© Getty Images

Surprisingly, Bhutto was unprotected appearing above her vehicle with no bullet shield! At the very least one would have thought a plastic shield would have been smart! She was shot, tried to duck then fell in the vehicle. At that moment the assassin apparently exploded!

art.burning.car.ap.jpg

© Getty Images

art.blast.gi.jpg

© Getty Images

art.bhuttocoffin.afp.gi.jpg

© Getty Images

Asher

Asher Kelman

George, a facilitatot! Thanks!

Hi George,

I must thank you for helping me ask myself serious questions about the world we live in. It's odd to have this debate over the Internet, you by the waters of the Irish Sea and me in Los Angeles fighting between captured diesel smog of still hot days and the brisk fresh winds from the Pacific Ocean.

What's for sure is that this debate, this searching is what a lot of us try to work through but most cannot bring themselves to express with any confidence. So in a way, our struggling conversations on subjects seemingly unrelated to photography, represent a far greater set of people.

So I'm grateful for your words.

Besides earning a living, memorializing events and fun in our families, finding solace in natural beauty or capturing the enigma of handsome poverty, the photographer holds a lantern up to our lives and world. These conversations are some very modest tentative words to go along with pictures, a kind of struggle to synthesize meaning.

So thanks my friend! One day I'll visit and we'll share some drinks and I'll meet your lady and pat your dog and walk along the edge of the land that Ireland shares with the water.

We don't have power over the elements or even our own lives, but at least we can have the reward and comfort that we build a tour bus for friends all over the planet. Then we can be supportive to each other.

I find the situation in Pakistan and so many other places tragic. However there's hope in the individuals who help one another and perform myriads of transformations to allow people to believe in themselves and their future.

So thanks for helping maintain a conversation for this tour bus, OPF that we have created.

Asher

However there's hope in the individuals who help one another and perform myriads of transformations to allow people to believe in themselves and their future.

That in deed is the basis for any peaceful change, from within the people.

I do not believe in the obvious that is presented as the ultima ratio, in opposite, one has to constantly challenge the obvious explanations and ask himself who really benefits from a destablised Pakistan, already one of the most dangerous places on the planet. On the surface it appears as if Nawaz Sharif, the leader of the muslim league gains the most. However, I do not think that this is the whole truth. I rather think there are other forces at play that are capable of triggering such tragic events.

I think the next few days will be crucial on securing peace in the region and interim stability. Martial law is not in place, not yet, and it appears as if pressure of the international community helped avoiding this, but there is no doubt, if the situation get's out of hand, there is no other alternative at the moment.

On a sidenote, our frequent exchange on actual footage is always most interesting. Yes, when my time and circumstances allow for it, I would be delighted to invite you to come here and stay with us for a while. I would love to show you the highest seacliffs in europe, I took my first pictures there 3 years ago with a point and shoot konica minolta Z5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slieve_League

or glenveagh national park, dooey beach, and so much more.

- Note to self, stock up Aspirin before Asher comes! - <grins>

If Pakistan were to collapse into conflict the enemies of peace and human rights will have been victorious.
Her memory, and her country deserve better.

How very true!

http://dl.groovygecko.net/anon.groovy/clients/akqa/projectamber/press/20071229-Elders_Bhutto_Statement.pdf

I think I posted a thread to the website of .... the elders.... somewhere else here, however, you find the link at the very bottom of that message as well.

P.S. Excuse the spam... in good faith... <smile>