• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Surviving Cancer

James Lemon

i-FJ4SkJN-L.jpg

I was at the hospital today to visit my younger brother Richard who was recently diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus. Fortunately it was discovered early! He recently had surgery on Thursday morning 7:00 am March 08-2018. He is now on his road to recovery and according to the thoracic surgeon Dr. Alexander Lee was able to remove all of the cancer. We also have one other close relative who is also battling cancer but the prognoses of her condition is not good. Never the less we are very grateful to the medical profession. You can find out more about the surgeon, see videos,techniques and other information at the link below.

https://www.ctsnet.org/home/alexlee

i-FJ4SkJN-L.jpg

I was at the hospital today to visit my younger brother Richard who was recently diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus. Fortunately it was discovered early! He recently had surgery on Thursday morning 7:00 am March 08-2018. He is now on his road to recovery and according to the thoracic surgeon Dr. Alexander Lee was able to remove all of the cancer. We also have one other close relative who is also battling cancer but the prognoses of her condition is not good. Never the less we are very grateful to the medical profession. You can find out more about the surgeon, see videos,techniques and other information at the link below.

I wish him all the best, James. As for the other relative, I hope her condition can get better. I lost my older brother to cancer in January and it literally broke my heart. All the best, Maggie

James Lemon

I wish him all the best, James. As for the other relative, I hope her condition can get better. I lost my older brother to cancer in January and it literally broke my heart. All the best, Maggie

Thank you for your kind words Maggie! Sorry to hear about your brother. One never really knows whats going on in other people lives.

James

fahim mohammed

Very glad to hear that Richard is on his way to recovery. Great news indeed.
Very sad to hear about your relative with the illness James.

Ayesha and I send our prayers and best wishes to your brother and your relative.

Warmest regards.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
i-FJ4SkJN-L.jpg

Wish Richard a speedy recovery from all of us. You are all fortunate to have such a surgeon near you capable and willing to take on such a devastating challenge. The procedure is well understood and has improved steadily over the past 50 years.

As to your other relative, she is not alone. A lot of folk with difficult to treat cancers are being tackled today with new treatments that hold promise. Again, it requires that the correct physcians are accessible and a lot of prayer. We cannot alter the directions of the river, but we can, at least try to support each other on our respective journeys.

Both of them will be in our hearts and prayers.

Asher

James Lemon

Very glad to hear that Richard is on his way to recovery. Great news indeed.
Very sad to hear about your relative with the illness James.

Ayesha and I send our prayers and best wishes to your brother and your relative.

Warmest regards.

Wish Richard a speedy recovery from all of us. You are all fortunate to have such a surgeon near you capable and willing to take on such a devastating challenge. The procedure is well understood and has improved steadily over the past 50 years.

As to your other relative, she is not alone. A lot of folk with difficult to treat cancers are being tackled today with new treatments that hold promise. Again, it requires that the correct physcians are accessible and a lot of prayer. We cannot alter the directions of the river, but we can, at least try to support each other on our respective journeys.

Both of them will be in our hearts and prayers.

Asher

Fahim, Asher

Thank you for your kind words,thoughts and prayers... much appreciated! I paid him a visit again today and as you can see he has one tube removed . He did get up and walked with me to the elevator when I left today.

i-RFdN4c4-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
James,

Thanks for inviting me to post further on the disease that has unfortunately struck your dear brother. At the outset, I am impressed that he has had state of the art treatment and is a candidate for freedom from disease for a number of years, at the least, and with Gods help, a total cure to frail old age and great, great grandchildren! This is already a stunning achievement to get into this "betting rank" with such a terrible disease for at least 80% of those affected.

This tumor is relatively uncommon, but unfortunately occurs more frequently with reflux esophagitis, (a lot of bubbly soda doing the same thing), exposing the esophagus to acid stomach contents and also more often in smokers and excess alcohol use.

But this could also occur in a skinny non smoker!

Where the cancer is localized to the esophagus itself and immediately adjacent structures, then giving chemotherapy, (often including agents like cis_platinum), and 3D planned radiation therapy with high energy ionizing radiations with 6, 10 or high million electron volt radiation beams from a linear accelerator. The cancer shrinks and hopefully microscopic diseas is mopped up by the chemotherapy and the patient's own immune system.

Follow up CT scans and PET scans show areas of residual mass and areas that are still consuming energy. If this result is optimistic, then the surgery is scheduled. The esophagus and attached tumor has to be dissected free of all the adjacent structures and then pulled out through the neck or abdomen and replaced with a tube made from a free loop of living intestine, "stolen", often large bowel. This can go either in the place that was occupied by the original diseased esophagus or can be placed in from to the heart, behind the sternum, instead. The old esophagus, (if it cannot be removed), can theoretically be left where it was found behind the heart, but now closed off from the oral cavity above and the residual stomach, below!

With good healing, the patient can now eat with no food getting blocked.

In your bother's case, he does appear to be fairly robust and that bodes well for healing. The need for further radiation means that there was, likely as not, at a minimum, microscopic disease at the surgery margins, indicating a real risk for cells to regrow to more tumor. In such cases, with residual microscopic disease left behind, risk of failure is roughly 18% at a minimum. A base line PET CT is essential at about 1-2 months after surgery and then every 6 months for the first year. That would catch regrowth early enough for intervention. CT shows something is there. PET shows where sugar is being consumed at an abnormally high rate, indicating possible tumor activity. Without these tests, the plane has no windshield, compass, altimeter or other instruments to guide the pilot! In a managed care system such as in Canada, these tests might not be normal practice. So one has to ask and make a fuss to get these organized. If need be, the patient simply gets it done and pays the bill out of pocket at $1500-$4,000 a time. Worth it if one can scrape up the cash!

All in all, count this as a major victory, for now, against that shadowy cloaked figure with the long sickle that chases down all of us in the end, no matter what!

Your brother can look forward, all being well, to years of good life. Is it just 2-4 years or will this never return?

If trump can get elected, even once, your brother can be cured for the next 20 -30 years!

I do hope so.

Asher