• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: The EYES!

Abhijit Biswas

Just thought of sharing this image that I took recently. Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

_MG_0728_H768.jpg

Regards,
Abhijit
www.exposurebits.com

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
_MG_0728_H768.jpg

Abhijit Biswas The EYES

Thanks Abhijit,

For introducing us to your unique work. I have been thinking of exactly this approach to the nude: using the eyes as a mode of contact but with no allure. Glamor often takes the reader through her eyes to the sassiness of the picture and teases us to think she might be available for our fantasies. A figure study, however, may eschew altogether eye contact, as t's the form only that is set like sculpted stone.

Here you have provided eye contact that faces us squarely. As if we might doubt that, the central vertical shadow on the face aligns our sight directly with hers. So this picture is about that motif of direct and perhaps independent womanhood requiring she be met on a plain of equality and great respect. Still her head is down and she is indeed naked, so yes, she's also perhaps offering herself too, tentatively and on terms.

I like this picture. When did you make it and have you printed it and has it sold?

Asher

I'd like to know about the lighting. Was there a highlight that needed to be tamed on the left arm? Also the shot details.

Abhijit Biswas

Hi Asher,

Thanks for your kind words on my image. We were shooting for fine art images showing lines, forms and textures, etc and at the end of the shoot we wanted to create something different and the result is this.

I placed two soft boxes of equal power on both sides of the model. They were almost equally apart and little behind the shoulder and hence the vertical shadow. I under-exposed the shot at f/11 for about a stop using Canon 50mm prime on a 30D. In the post I applied BW filter and regular D&B layers to control highligh and shadows. I shot this on July 7th.

I am not selling my fine art work yet. I have a little different plan.

Once again I appreciate your detailed thoughts on this image.

Abhijit Biswas
http://www.exposurebits.com

For the inquisitive mind the model is #02 in my beauty portfolio on my website.

Charlotte Thompson

Abhijit

Stunning work! The light of the eyes as a bright contrast to the dark skin is so creative
was there any processing in this{eyes}
She almost has a male look to her as she seems to be very very strong willed
but facial features are bold like males are
she is very wonderful-I also have a love for portrait work and a certain capture or look
I do admire this shot

Charlotte-

Bobby Deal

Your work is serenely captivating and carries with it a strong emotion that makes it commercially viable for sure. Your process for B&W conversion is strong in the blue channel? or is the model of a dark skin tone already?

As much as I really enjoy this image and the deep darkness that it portrays I can't help but think I would love it even more with just a hint of rim light behind her head to separate here from the endless shadow behind her. The separation would provide an anchor point for the emptiness to begin.

Abhijit Biswas

Hi Bobby,

Thanks again for your kind words on this image. In general I use various methods to get the right BW version I want. I think I used the BW filter on this one and I might have combined results from few presets to get the base for further work. The model is of medium complexion and that certanly helps to get a moody base version.

I think your idea about the background separation is a good. I might give it a shot when I try next.

Once again, thanks for your time and thoughts. Glad that you like it.

Regards,
Abhijit

Your work is serenely captivating and carries with it a strong emotion that makes it commercially viable for sure. Your process for B&W conversion is strong in the blue channel? or is the model of a dark skin tone already?

As much as I really enjoy this image and the deep darkness that it portrays I can't help but think I would love it even more with just a hint of rim light behind her head to separate here from the endless shadow behind her. The separation would provide an anchor point for the emptiness to begin.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
_MG_0728_H768.jpg

Abhijit Biswas The EYES

Bobby,

As much as I know your idea of a rim light would work well, separating her from the background, we might rethink this. As the picture stands, there is something very harsh in the amorphous junction between her dark hair and the infinite blackness that surrounds her. Right now she could be derived from anything lurking or left behind temporarily or escaped from back there. It's all a mystery and great risk. This is taking femininity to another level of the unknown and exploration.

So, Abhijit,

If what I have said of your picture has resonance with your ideas, then consider this. Showing that she is separate from that unknown, (by lighting from behind her as suggested), might just collapse the significantly gestalt of the picture. If any changes were allowable, I'd put for consideration the idea of adding black space above and beside her.

Asher

Abhijit Biswas

Hi Asher,

Any variation I try from this would result in different mood. I took Bobby's suggestion from that perspective only to have a different mood and feel. I try hard to achieve "A" look for my image and spend considerable time cropping it differently. My experience is that one can come up with a large number of final images from the same image portraying different moods and feel.

Asher, You definitely have a very good command over your language and you articulate your thoughts very nicely. Your thoughts on this image certainly resonate my thoughts about this version of the image.

I might try some of the ideas I am getting from different folks for physical prints and see how they look.

Thanks for your time, Asher. It's a pleasure to read your thoughts.

Regards,
Abhijit
www.exposurebits.com

_MG_0728_H768.jpg

Abhijit Biswas The EYES

Bobby,

As much as I know your idea of a rim light would work well, separating her from the background, we might rethink this. As the picture stands, there is something very harsh in the amorphous junction between her dark hair and the infinite blackness that surrounds her. Right now she could be derived from anything lurking or left behind temporarily or escaped from back there. It's all a mystery and great risk. This is taking femininity to another level of the unknown and exploration.

So, Abhijit,

If what I have said of your picture has resonance with your ideas, then consider this. Showing that she is separate from that unknown, (by lighting from behind her as suggested), might just collapse the significantly gestalt of the picture. If any changes were allowable, I'd put for consideration the idea of adding black space above and beside her.

Asher

Excellent detail and mood obtained in classic shadow work. Congrats to both you and the model for having healthy egos that can express an indomitable spirit, yet transfer it into fierce sexuality. Indeed a rare trick these days.